FL VRS DRLs - possible to make them brighter in side light mode?

I thought from your post you had figured out how to do it with VCDS, from the posts I have read before the consensus seems to be that it is a dealer only software option that can be enabled.

The search function works a treat!

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/295893-rear-light-on-with-drls/

It looks like it is possible with both the dealer software and with VCDS.

The search function works a treat!

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/295893-rear-light-on-with-drls/

It looks like it is possible with both the dealer software and with VCDS.

You sir are correct, the search function does work well and I have used it on many occasions. However as I now visit this site 5 or 6 times a day I don't tend to miss that much !!.

I have just looked through the thread you suggested, if you look again you will see I have posted several times within it. The thread suggests that it is not possible with VCDS and only the dealer VAS tool, hence why I asked you how to do it as I thought you had done it with VCDS.

Hmm, looks like I was wrong...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/259857-tail-lights-and-drls/?hl=%2Brear+%2Blights+%2Bdrl%26%2339%3Bs#entry3066264

Dealer only. It does at least suggest what you need to ask your dealer to change.

I was sure it was possible with VCDS. Perhaps I've read it in the MkIII forum.

Might be worth asking in the dedicated VCDS forum to be sure?

• Like 1

Main beam?

Do you mean dipped headlights?

I can think of lots of situations where side lights would be more appropriate than main or high beam.

I'm still waiting for some of these "more appropriate" to use side-lights over my headlights situations.

If for some reason I had headlights on during the day I'm not going to dazzle anyone. If I have headlights on at dusk, once more I'm going to be seen but not dazzled - this is the whole idea of headlights, being brights but not bright enough to dazzle.

If your headlights dazzle anyone at any time of the day then they need checking. Correctly aligned headlights will dazzle nobody, no matter what the time or conditions.

Edited by Stoofa
  • Like 1

I'm still waiting for some of these "more appropriate" to use side-lights over my headlights situations.

If for some reason I had headlights on during the day I'm not going to dazzle anyone. If I have headlights on at dusk, once more I'm going to be seen but not dazzled - this is the whole idea of headlights, being brights but not bright enough to dazzle.

If your headlights dazzle anyone at any time of the day then they need checking. Correctly aligned headlights will dazzle nobody, no matter what the time or conditions.

I drive (< 10mph) on side lights at night when approaching the gate guard so as not to dazzle him - this is the only time though and it is "more appropriate".

Hmm, looks like I was wrong...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/259857-tail-lights-and-drls/?hl=%2Brear+%2Blights+%2Bdrl%26%2339%3Bs#entry3066264

Dealer only. It does at least suggest what you need to ask your dealer to change.

I was sure it was possible with VCDS. Perhaps I've read it in the MkIII forum.

Might be worth asking in the dedicated VCDS forum to be sure?

Here is a link to my post in the VCDS forum.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/326881-enabling-rear-drls-with-vcds-on-octy-mkii-fl/

Lets see if anyone in the VCDS community can solve this for us as I am sure there are a few interested parties out there.

Properly adjusted headlights can dazzle. Xenon and bi-xenon more so.

- Facing oncoming traffic on their side of the road.

- On undulating roads, as an oncoming vehicle crests the brow of a hill.

This is why we have auto-dimming rear view and door mirrors.

I also mentioned the ability of headlights to distract and obscure, not just dazzle.

I provided situations where I believe side lights can offer advantages over dipped headlights earlier.

Anyway this thread isn't about the benefits of head lights over side lights so for the sanity of the OP I'm done.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

It's already solved

Turn on the rear lights to come on with the DRL's with VCDS.

Then you can drive around to your hearts content with very bright 'sidelights'

ChrisRS - Do you actually know how to do this with VCDS ?. The replies I am getting is it can only be done with the dealer VAS tool.

I drive (< 10mph) on side lights at night when approaching the gate guard so as not to dazzle him - this is the only time though and it is "more appropriate".

Well yes - I now stand corrected, as I do see a situation. One where somebody needs to see who is driving a vehicle at night, so side-lights would enable someone to see into the vehicle without being destracted by the headlights. But that is now the only situation I'd find myself on sides over headlights.

• 5 weeks later...

As been said the simple answer is no, but the complicated answer is yes:

Only the dealer VAS tool can enable the rear lights on with DRL's without the risk of fubaring the BCM - this is basically the same as side lights but without the dash illumination (sadly)

You CAN do it but it takes some physical wiring changes to the car and leaves you with a side light error message on the dash - I have done this so know it works. I basically wanted the dash to be lit all the time, but not dim the DRL's down to wicker candles.

On the plus side you can set the mk3 DRL / sides to any brightness you like - and have the dash illuminated all the time :-)