VRS TDi poor starting loss of power ?

OK so my VRS Tdi went in for poor starting. The car would on occasion crank for several seconds before firing up.

I also suspected the car had lost power.

Booked in and the dealer could find no faults. They have however re-coded the injectors.

So I picked the car up and the throttle response is different to before and the car still doesn't start properly. We have several VRS Tdi's and having driven some of the others I have on the fleet mine is definitely different.

Called the dealer again and they said nothing wrong with it can't do anymore. I then called another dealer and explained what had been done and they said don't want to touch as the previous dealer found no fault. I then called  Skoda UK who said the same.

So now I am stuck with a car that is not right.

Anybody else had similar problems ?

I've had poor starting from my vRS as well as it cutting out at speed for the past 5 months and still got no idea what's going on. I've been banned from taking my car to the local dealer as they 'no longer wish to investigate the issues I have' although I'm now booked in at an alternative dealer. Good luck with Skoda CS or even executive team although they're sympathetic I got nowhere with them.

Mine was slow to start the other day....  I can't say I noticed a loss of power though.

I put this down to a couple of short journeys recently and over-exubberant use of the heated seats, but I'm slightly worried now.

back1980 - "not fit for purpose, Consumer Insurance Act blah blah blah" - I think I'd succumb to a murderous rage if I thought my car had my problem and the Stealer told me that!

I get this in my new MK7 Golf GTD (184ps). Normally only on totally cold starts (i.e. first thing in the morning).

What I found worked for me was to turn the ignition on (without attempting to start), and leave it for 3-5 seconds (so that the electronics and if required, the glow plugs can initialise), then start.

If I try to start mine immediately from cold without doing the above, it quite often cranks for several seconds. Doing it this way it always fires first time. Maybe worth a try ?

Mine was slow to start the other day....  I can't say I noticed a loss of power though.

I put this down to a couple of short journeys recently and over-exubberant use of the heated seats, but I'm slightly worried now.

back1980 - "not fit for purpose, Consumer Insurance Act blah blah blah" - I think I'd succumb to a murderous rage if I thought my car had my problem and the Stealer told me that!

I've tried to reject the car but Skoda Finance and the supplying dealer said 'No!' so I'm currently going down the FSA route and writing to Skoda UK MD. I love my car just not the typical diabolical dealer / customer service I seem to be getting.

Autoexpress problems page. They wield a big stick and can dash Skodas JDPOWER Survey star dealer rep with one investigation. Try engaging with them, that might get a better more caring response from the dealer.

• Like 1

Autoexpress problems page. They wield a big stick and can dash Skodas JDPOWER Survey star dealer rep with one investigation. Try engaging with them, that might get a better more caring response from the dealer.

Theres a vrs issue in the 'get auto express involved' page in this weeks edition. They never want bad press.

• Like 1

OK so I took matters into my own hands ( I know but I just cant be bothered with the dealers or Skoda UK anymore).

I took the EGR valve off and cleaned it and made sure the operation was good. I then replaced it and took the car for an Italian tune up.

When I say Italian tune up I held the car in third gear just short of max revs for a few seconds. Several times.

Hey presto power has returned. And before anyone gets all high and mighty about revs and thrashing it's a company car and I run the fleet so anything untoward happens its not my problem.

Funnily enough my 150 TDI Elegance has regular starting issues, it always fires but sometimes it takes an unnatural amount of turning over before it goes...like it's struggling.

Also of late I've found the responsiveness of it a little flat to how it was a short while ago, seems to coincide with having has its first (10k) service recently.

Could just be me but definitely does not seem as lively as it did before. Again the garage investigated the starting issue and found no fault.

OK so I took matters into my own hands ( I know but I just cant be bothered with the dealers or Skoda UK anymore).

I took the EGR valve off and cleaned it and made sure the operation was good. I then replaced it and took the car for an Italian tune up.

When I say Italian tune up I held the car in third gear just short of max revs for a few seconds. Several times.

Hey presto power has returned. And before anyone gets all high and mighty about revs and thrashing it's a company car and I run the fleet so anything untoward happens its not my problem.

would be interesting to know if this also improve your starting problems as well?

Iv eperienced mine taking about 20secs more cranking than normal,and felt as if it was firing on 3cyls,this was always the second time of starting in the morning,after id driven to the papershop on my way to work,then it was fine,i thought it might be glow plug issue,but that should only be an issue for the first start,they couldnt find owt with it,they said it could have been the battery run down a bit,they lent me a trickle charger from their showroom,and after a good run it went away,or so i thought, happened again this morning,il get it looked at at its service

Iv eperienced mine taking about 20secs more cranking than normal,and felt as if it was firing on 3cyls,this was always the second time of starting in the morning,after id driven to the papershop on my way to work,then it was fine,i thought it might be glow plug issue,but that should only be an issue for the first start,they couldnt find owt with it,they said it could have been the battery run down a bit,they lent me a trickle charger from their showroom,and after a good run it went away,or so i thought, happened again this morning,il get it looked at at its service

I am pretty convinced its an EGR issue. I think you need to give it an Italian tune up every now and again.

I am pretty convinced its an EGR issue. I think you need to give it an Italian tune up every now and again.

It gets driven like a hire car,thats similar to an italian tuneup,like that phrase btw