Next Yeti Dilemma

alex_leigh67

My bike rack attaches to the tow bar bracket, not the tow ball, so mine is a bike rack, and as such I can still attach a trailer with it on too.

Now my question, if it is a non wheel bike trailer, then how would the automated tarrif on the M6 toll road charge you?

My guess is it won't see it as a trailer, as it doesn't on my car, even with two bikes on.

So what rules are the Midland express way using?

I guess if you were stopped at the toll booth on the M6 toll, with your " bike trailer" on, I bet you wouldn't offer to pay double, just because you class it as a trailer...

No, I still see it as a bike rack, as it uses the car's suspension, and doesn't move in relation to the car, so is part of the car.

If it is listed as a trailer, then you are limited to 60mph and not allowed to go into the outside lane of a three lane motorway.

So you want to still think this is a trailer? If so, drive as if it was lol.

If you get a chance, can you give a link to these rules.

So the next confusing part...

If your lights are obscured by the bikes, you have to have a seperate lighting board and number plate, so...

should the lighting board have the reflective triangles on, depicting a trailer, or should it be without, if it's a bike rack ?

After all, most sold lighting boards are fitted with the triangles, so technically should be removed if it is a bike rack, but left there if it's a trailer...

The big question...

Oh dear... my bike rack attaches to the tow bar, and I have a lighting board... so should I have red triangles on the board?

As far as I'm aware, triangles are meant to denote a trailer.

A bike rack without wheels isn't a trailer, so a light board with normal lights (including reflectors) is all that's needed.

• Like 2

I have no idea about trailers clearly ;) It's been the bike trailer for 10 years. I'm too old and lazy to call it something else. Anyway you're all wrong. Just so we're clear.

See how warm it is today. That's because my heated windscreen has just cleared customs attached to the rest of the car.

No need to thank me :)

• Like 1

I have no idea about trailers clearly ;) It's been the bike trailer for 10 years. 

If a trailer must have wheels, does this mean its a bike trailer when loaded with one or bikes, and rack when it isn't? ;)

Edited by Totally Square
  • Like 1

Triangular reflectors must only be used to show that the vehicle is articulated (bendy) by towing a trailer.

A bike rack or carrier is not a trailer and so an additional light board must have square, rectangle or round reflectors fitted,

Triangular reflectors must only be used to show that the vehicle is articulated (bendy) by towing a trailer.

A bike rack or carrier is not a trailer and so an additional light board must have square, rectangle or round reflectors fitted,

Correct, but the problem is that Alex keeps referring to his BIKE RACK as a "trailer" and will not be persuaded that his view is incorrect. 

• Like 1

It's not a problem to me - it's just Alex! :)

He might not choose to describe it as a 'trailer' if he was forced to restrict himself to trailer towing speed limits ! :thumbup:

• Like 4

I'm just doing it to annoy everyone now :) It was recorded as a 'trailer' after I reversed it into my wife's car about this time last year. The nice man from the insurance call centre paused after I'd explained the incident, before asking 'Are you sure you want me to write 'I crashed into my wife's car on the drive because I didn't expect it to be there?'". "Of course" I replied.

'Trailer' saved my car without a doubt. Smashed it up a bit and properly wrecked her Jazz :)

Edited by alex_leigh67
  • Like 3

Well to continue the tale if anyone is even vaguely still interested. I had a great email exchange with the dealer this morning

Me: 'Still on for Tuesday? Can I order some mats?|

Dealer: "Yes and Yes"

..... insert one hour pause.....

Dealer "Er mats on order, went to check your car and it's not here"

Me "Where is it"
Dealer "We're not absolutely sure"

It's somewhere in a UK port. It'll arrive sometime next week. As a man who has spent many years working at the electronic end of complex and sophisticated supply chain systems, I find myself entirely unsurprised :)

Just checked with the dealer if my transfer plate had arrive said he would check he phoned back they have not yet received it he had check with DVLA might be next week was picking I up on the 1st of March. The v5 was sent off end of Jan. Good job I checked up

Well they've found it. Apparently various people were 'caught out' by the entirely unexpected surge of new cars that arrive on March 1st ;) Anyway it's even got a delivery slot now which the garage received by FAX. I didn't even know there were two working fax machines left in the UK. Surprised they weren't notified by pidgin or queen's telegram.  Turns up Thursday, I turn up Friday to pick it up. Unless it's destroyed by a fallen satellite or is accidentally punted in the channel before it makes its way to rural herefordshire.

Could really have done with the heated windscreen the last few days!

• Like 1

16112782944_d4b9af2cfb_c.jpgThe New Eric by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

No Dilemma's anymore. It's finally here. Amusingly I was half way home before finding more lost things. First the SD card for the SatNav was still in a drawer somewhere at the dealers, and in my haste to be off I'd forgotten to ask how to find/fit/be confused by the towbar  All sorted now. That DSG is simply magic. The new 'entertainment system' is a bit bewildering but I found where Test Match special is and, in an unexpected bonus, a DAB station playing just 80s rock. I couldn't be happier ;)

I even quite like the colour. It's 95% the same as our MX5. So I must have liked it before as well.

Old one is being properly cleaned and punted out for sale. Dealer offered me quite a decent price so if it doesn't go in two weeks, they can have it.

I even filled this one with Petrol having had diesel cars for the last 10 years. Hope that memory abides ;)

I phoned the DVLA today to try and find out how long befor I got my transfer documents back, they took my details and then said they had not received the V5. Phoned saleman to find out what was going on said he would phone back had to phone again still know reply. Phoned the head of sales said he would look into it and let me know. He phoned back 1 hour later and told me he could belive that the saleman had only just sent the V5 off this Wednesday, Think he will be looking for a new saleman

So as this is the thread that keeps giving... I put my 'old' 110d SE+ on gumtree not expecting much in the way of desperate lovers of previously enjoyed yeti's to batter at my door throwing handfuls of cash through the letterbox. Mainly because we don't have a letterbox.

A total of two people responded in 48 hours. First bloke turned up with his 18 year old lad, had a 2 minute (I kid you not) look round, started it, didn't open the bonnet, didn't check the VIN, didn't even open the service manual, asked about a discount, didn't get one of those either before opening up his virtual wallet and he was away with my old car less than 30 mins after he arrived. Since he turned up in an 2010 110D I was quite looking forward to a chat....

Anyway it's gone. Paid for and soon to be driven by his 21 year old daughter. Blimey times have changed since my first car. I stuck in on at 300 under book value and got that no problem. Residuals eh? Makes me wonder why I've leased the new one. Which is lovely by the way :)