MUD FLAPS - DO THEY DO THE JOB

Shanco

• Fitted mudflaps to the front and rear of my recently disposed of Yeti Adventure - they had minimal effect on protecting the bodywork.
  • Thinking of fitting a full set to the Superb but do they do the business?
  • Any advice appreciated.

Shanco

Edited by Shanco

They're okay and do a reasonable job but you'll still get some dirt.  They will keep the heavy stuff off.  Aside from the practicality I prefer to have them as I feel there is something missing from the car visually without them.  If you have a white car they might look a bit odd though.

They're okay and do a reasonable job but you'll still get some dirt.  They will keep the heavy stuff off.  Aside from the practicality I prefer to have them as I feel there is something missing from the car visually without them.  If you have a white car they might look a bit odd though.

I have a white car and you hardly notice them.

• Like 1

I have them on my white car, fitted after approx. 2 months of winter ownership las year.

They certainly don't look out of place, but TBH I was disappointed at their in-effectiveness.

They probably reduce the spray by 50%, but are nowhere near as efficient as mud flaps I've had on other cars.

• Like 1

I have them on my white car, fitted after approx. 2 months of winter ownership las year.

They certainly don't look out of place, but TBH I was disappointed at their in-effectiveness.

They probably reduce the spray by 50%, but are nowhere near as efficient as mud flaps I've had on other cars.

+1

• Thanks for the responses.
  • With the Superb having a relatively low road clearance I was wondering if they caught on kerbs etc. but no-one seems to have had a problem.
  • I think I'll take the plunge and fit some even if they only give 50% spray reduction as noted by BJM.

Shanco

I have a white Candy Combi with a Pan roof and they look great on it as does the black Monte Carlo grill, dark smoked lights at the rear and dark splitter on the front, they are a little small but as said earlier keep the muck down the lower half of the car. I have before frenched a set of longer flaps inside the OEM one's it still had no speed hump clearance issues, it worked well on my Yeti but its to cold and wet to do at present.  

• Like 2

The mud flaps protect approximately 1 inch of the sill and / or rear bumper. They really offer very little if any benefit.

The front mud flaps are actually likely to do more harm than good. They hold all the water, grit, salt and mud tightly up against the paint work on the metal front wings. The air turbulance as you drive and the forces exerted on them from spray and puddles etc. constantly move the flaps around by a few millimeters scratching the paint and exposing all that debris to the unprotected metal.

These pictures from another member who had defective paintwork shows exactly the protection offered by the front and rear mudflaps, as mentioned about an inch!

sml_gallery_96219_636_199814.jpg

sml_gallery_96219_636_26353.jpg

sml_gallery_96219_636_14460.jpg

sml_gallery_96219_636_42408.jpg

sml_gallery_96219_636_157004.jpg

sml_gallery_96219_636_249265.jpg

sml_gallery_96219_636_210378.jpg

sml_gallery_96219_636_238180.jpg

sml_gallery_96219_636_80487.jpg

sml_gallery_96219_636_46660.jpg

sml_gallery_96219_636_23737.jpg

sml_gallery_96219_636_7226.jpg

sml_gallery_96219_636_44783.jpg

sml_gallery_96219_636_16474.jpg

sml_gallery_96219_636_145356.jpg

sml_gallery_96219_636_61470.jpg

sml_gallery_96219_636_146649.jpg

sml_gallery_96219_636_104972.jpg

sml_gallery_96219_636_142732.jpg

sml_gallery_96219_636_86417.jpg

sml_gallery_96219_636_59526.jpg

sml_gallery_96219_636_101822.jpg

sml_gallery_96219_636_5572.jpg

sml_gallery_96219_636_54712.jpg

sml_gallery_96219_636_128088.jpg

sml_gallery_96219_636_250693.jpg

sml_gallery_96219_636_109338.jpg

sml_gallery_96219_636_54833.jpg 

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/253727-rear-bumper-and-sill-paint-damage/

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 2

Hi Silver 1011,

• What a convincing report.
  • Having decided to order some flaps I'm now back to square one.
  • Thank you for posting the pictures - it does show the limitations of the flaps.
  • If I persist and get some it will be mostly for cosmetic reasons.

Shanco

• Like 1

Mudflaps are not meant  to keep your car clean, but to keep the paintwork on the lower part of a body. Absolutely "must be" in Russia, where they still use a sand instead of salt to maintain the winter roads.

Hi Silver 1011,

• What a convincing report.
  • Having decided to order some flaps I'm now back to square one.
  • Thank you for posting the pictures - it does show the limitations of the flaps.
  • If I persist and get some it will be mostly for cosmetic reasons.

Shanco

For what it's worth my Superb came fitted with mudflaps when I bought it.

Even if it hadn't I'd have still fitted them.

I prefer the look of a car with flaps fitted!

If I was in your shoes I'd still fit them :D

• Like 1

Extra wind resistance noise and fuel consumption

RUBBISH... They do not stick out far enough to cause wind resistance, if they did you would see different dirt pattern on bodywork. They certainly do not cause any noise. As to extra fuel consumption 99% of the mudflaps are behind the wheels so you would get more wind resistance from the wheels therefore to cut wind resistance I suggest you remove the wheels.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Taken the plunge and ordered mudflaps, front and rear.
  • Even if they only provide limited protection I think they enhance the Superb's looks.
  • Shall have them fitted after the Christmas break.
  • Thanks for your varying viewpoints and advice.

Shanco

• Like 1

ID say the best way to look at it is not how far back it covers, but more what degree of angle does it block from being covered in mud. Father-in-law lives down single lane farm roads, so is a good judge for this. Recently fitted front mudflaps on his superb. Went from about an 80degree spray angle down to about 45-50 degrees plus having that inch without dirt. IMO makes a big enough difference to get them.

They make tbe car look pensionesque ;-)

I think they make the car look better, plus they do an Ok job of stopping stones get thrown-up the side or against the rear valence.... but then again I am an old fart of 55!

• Like 1