Engine cover

fabUA

Hi, I'm new to this forum so if this has already been answered then I do apologise. I have recently bought a 2006 1.2 skoda fabia, it's a brilliant car but I've managed to find a very irritating rattle....there's a small plastic skoda plate on the engine cover and it vibrates against the engine cover, it looks to be a useless bit of plastic when I took it off, am I safe to keep it off?
Thanks
Josh

How did you managed to seal the oil filling cap ? I tried doing the same with my 1.4 mpi, but the one that fits onto the plastic engine cover just doesn't fit.

Alexandru;

fabUA and I are talking about the little silvery-coloured square badge in the centre of the engine cover, not the whole cover. This bit. I guess yours won't say 1.2 12V though, possibly 1.4 MPI?(Edit; google images says there isn't an equivalent bit on the MPI engine cover) It's just decoration. Important to some ( I sold mine recently, to my surprise!), but not others.

How did you managed to seal the oil filling cap ? I tried doing the same with my 1.4 mpi, but the one that fits onto the plastic engine cover just doesn't fit.

When you take the mpi engine cover off, there is a cap stuck underneath which can be used to seal the hole. You should see it easily on the underside of the cover, if it is not lost :) ssee jonezy's project thread to see an example of what it looks like installed :)

As Updown789 said, you use the spare cap (part number 047103485). If yours doesn't fit maybe the rubber seal (047103487) is missing from it?

SS858023.jpg

This is what the (whole) 1.2 12V cover looks like: linky to ebay  pic

In our case the oil cap comes through a clearance hole so there isn't any equivalent problem with removing the (whole) cover; except that the air filter is integrated into it!

Not something I'd want to be without.

• 2 weeks later...

As Updown789 said, you use the spare cap (part number 047103485). If yours doesn't fit maybe the rubber seal (047103487) is missing from it?

I've ordered that part number and it's simply too large .. too big. Are You sure that's the correct p/n for the 1.4 mpi ATZ engine ? Maybe I will take some pictures tomorrow if I will remember to.

Edited by Alexandru

I've ordered that part number and it's simply too large .. too big. Are You sure that's the correct p/n for the 1.4 mpi ATZ engine ? Maybe I will take some pictures tomorrow if I will remember to.

Pretty sure it's the right part. If you can post some pics it will be helpful.

Here's a different but related question: what's the point of the engine cover? Why does it exist at all?

Just to look pretty really.

Here's a different but related question: what's the point of the engine cover? Why does it exist at all?

It encourages people to take their car to a dealer. It looks hard to get at the engine, so most people don't bother.

On my A6 you practically have to take the front wheels off to change headlamp bulbs. You can do it yourself, but it's a million times easier taking it to an Audi workshop where they lift it up and the wheel drops down so they can access it easily. £50 to change the pair. Except they change light bulbs for free if you have your car serviced there, so is it really an issue?

On some of the petrol engines, it houses both the air filter, and the warm air/cold air blending system. As it sits over both throttle body and exhaust manifold shroud, it eliminates all the flexible pipework that normally exists between these things.

On some of the petrol engines, it houses both the air filter, and the warm air/cold air blending system. As it sits over both throttle body and exhaust manifold shroud, it eliminates all the flexible pipework that normally exists between these things.

...just like on mine BBZ engine.

That long plastic decoration "Škoda>1.4>16V" made some music on air filter box, too... was cured with 2-sided tape.