Goodbye 4x4

well my 2014 (April) 4x4 DSG combi goes this Saturday.

Having been in and out of the dealers for a problem when putting the cruise control on, (it dropped down two gears and revs shot up) it finally went into limp mode whilst i was away in the lakes

It was transported to a local dealer who had if for one month replaced the gearbox,the gear box management system, numerous codes all with the ahem,help of Skoda UK/Czechoslovakia  but all to no avail. But then a breakthrough hooray!!!! The answer, (are you sitting comfortably).

I had a puncture about a mth or so before the cruise started playing up. The Tyre was replaced with a pirelli. exact same dimentions but, and you guessed it a different tread pattern from the michelins on the other three, and this I kid you not was, via the independent four wheel drive system sending info to the control that this wheel was going 1km faster than all the others.

Ok, i asked the problem found whats the fix?

following a further puncture I'd have to make sure of replacing it with the exact same tyre.

Not good enough. So the things going.

Oh, I should mention. Skoda UK sent flowers just before Christmas, how nice. 

The only problem with this is that some other poor soul will end up with your pile of S#@t, that will keep them amused trying to get it right, I had a Mitsubishi Pajero Evo imported for me by Rallyart to tow my rally car (when I was racing) what a great tool when it was working, but what a pain in the a#se when it auto box went wrong, still 3 boxes later and it still wasn't right so they bout it back off of me and I bought a Range Rover.    

Years ago I had a Honda 1.8Vti.  The front tyres needed replacing so I went to Micheldever Tyres in Hants to get a replacement pair which were the same make and model as the ones that were replaced, Goodyears if my memory serves. As I drove home (about 30 miles) I noticed that as I applied the power it pulled to the right, when I lifted off it pulled to the left. Got home, checked the tyre pressures- both identical. Phoned Micheldever Tyres up, they said bring it back. To cut a longish story short, they agreed after driving it there was problem, turned out one tyre was made in UK, the other in France with the same tread pattern but subtly different compounds apparently. They changed one to the same UK spec and, hey presto, problem disappeared.

Ever since the I have stuck to the principle of always replacing the tyres on an axle with identical examples. I would imaging any mix of tyres on the axle of the Superb would have the same issue

Edited by Bristolf2b

Sounds like you're being flanneled. It's got a fault that they haven't discovered and now they are trying to blame you.that would mean if you have a tyre with a few k worn off , then had a puncture you'd have to change both tyres

Edited by peterposh

I used to have a Land Rover Discovery which I know has a different type of 4wd system, but I was told not to replace one tyre on the same axle different to the other one due to the varying tread depth of new against worn tyre. Whether this was right or not I don't know but I always stuck to it.

http://www.etyres.co.uk/changing-tyres-4wd/ Scroll down to changing 4x4 tyres.

Why not simply change the tyres for new ones, costly perhaps, but from what they are saying the problem should be solved - unless that's their excuse and they don't really know what the problem is.

Is this a problem with the DSG? I have had a 4x4 manual for over 4 years now, I have had the front tyres changed a couple of times, admittedly for the same tyres but whilst on holiday last year I was forced into a curb by an on coming car, this completely knackered the tyre, it was a Sunday, got to tow a caravan so I had to have any tyre that I could get fitted, it was completely different, the other front was over half worn but I had no problems cruise control or anything else.

I was looking to swap it for a facelift 4x4 Combi soon but as they on come as DSG now this sounds a bit worrying. Am I right to be cautious about this?

Sounds like a DSG issue. I have winter tyres on my manual 4x4 at the moment and although the same make have varying tread depths from 5mm to new at 9mm or more.

I've just moved on from a Quattro TT that I ran for 9 years from new. I always replaced both tyres on the same axle, if one went, the other got replaced too. I can't quite remember whether there was something in the manual to that effect. Expensive, but never caused me a problem.

Skoda, wouldn't buy the vehicle back.

They never apportioned blame to me.

They simply said if a puncture occurs and a new tyre is needed.Replace with exact same tyre.

No reference to tread depth just the pattern.

The car has performed fine as when first purchased, when the pirelli was changed back to an original.

As for the DSG,I can't see this being the culprit. Don't forget they replaced this with the control unit and the car was still dropping gears when cruise was on.

Let's hope the new vehicle I pick up on Saturday is free from this sought of intrinsic fault.

I can see how a different tyre tread and compound could upset the way that the 4WD brain behaves. Why not get a matching part-worn tyre from eBay and try it? Will cost you about £30-40, plus £5 to fit.

Seems a shame to bin the car without trying it.

As long as your 4x4 has three differentials (some do not, I don't know what VAG 4x4s have but my Merc had 3), minor differences in rolling radius should not be a problem.  Also, the permitted manufacturing tolerance for any particular tyre is usually greater than the difference between brand new and down to 2mm of tread.

Skoda, wouldn't buy the vehicle back.

The car has performed fine as when first purchased, when the pirelli was changed back to an original.

Why would you expect them to? As you say yourself, the car was performing back to normal after you corrected the error.

You could look on the whole experience positively, as a lesson learned to not mix tyre brand and type on the same axle. It's a good safety lesson that applies to any car, not just 4x4's or cars with modern electronics.

Let's hope the new vehicle I pick up on Saturday is free from this sought of intrinsic fault.

Hopefully, you haven't bought a VW or Audi then ;) ;) Edited by stevehg

So it the car gets a puncture, and the spare wheel goes on (different tread pattern) Skoda are saying that you can't use cruise control?

This clearly isn't right, the fault must be with the car.