2010 TwinDoor numberplate lights.... A definitive answer?

So having looked through all the threads on here regarding swapping the numberplate bulbs for LEDs most say it cant be done without fitting resisters etc.... Then a couple also mention that they can be swapped for LEDs without resisters etc.... And then others mention swapping them for LEDs and disabling the numberplate bulb check in VCDS....

So which is it??? For me it's relating to a 2010 (MY11) twindoor.....

So having looked through all the threads on here regarding swapping the numberplate bulbs for LEDs most say it cant be done without fitting resisters etc.... Then a couple also mention that they can be swapped for LEDs without resisters etc.... And then others mention swapping them for LEDs and disabling the numberplate bulb check in VCDS....

So which is it??? For me it's relating to a 2010 (MY11) twindoor.....

I got these mate. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-LED-Festoon-bulb-Canbus-39mm-3-SMD-12V-C5W-239-dome-Error-Free-UK-/320856600372?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ab48b2f34. The first pair didn't work - at all; the replacement pair are perfect - no errors...

I got these mate. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-LED-Festoon-bulb-Canbus-39mm-3-SMD-12V-C5W-239-dome-Error-Free-UK-/320856600372?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ab48b2f34. The first pair didn't work - at all; the replacement pair are perfect - no errors...

Did you need to code out the number plate check in VCDS? Or has it already been done previously etc?

• 1 month later...

I ordered these, on the pretense they would be "Error Free" but on a 60 and a 13 it threw up errors. I ordered three sets, will I try all the others before I go back to the seller??

Edited by matthewg

Some comeback from myself.... I bought the bulbs that Numskull used and they threw up the bulb error on the dash. Then i had the numberplate setting changed to LED via VCDS and they worked for a day before then throwing up the error again so i've gone back to the original normal bulbs. :(

The one on the left looks very similar in size, shape, screw quantity & location etc. to the non-LED light units fitted to my 2011 Twindoor.

This picture is showing genuine Audi LED number plate light units, you'd hope that to keep costs to a minimum things like number plate lights would begin to be common across a number of different VAG brands / vehicles?

aa69915d.jpg

d21227a1.jpg

1f1bca8e.jpg

I just replaced the vanity mirror bulbs with these bulbs, damn their bright up there.

Has anyone replaced any other interior lights with LEDs. In my 60 reg they are all W5W( small sidelight bulbs) and I think a total of 13 bulbs would be required, including the puddle lights on the door

ETOS is the official parts software for independents which I subscribe to, so any dealer will recognise that number.... It is a genuine number and comes up as an accessory for my 2015 Superb using the VIN number

£5.71 each from the dealer according to ETOS ;)

• Like 2

Don't forget they will still need resistors fitting though to stop the bulb warning.... But at least they seem cheaper than the VW ones people have been buying previously that have been in the region of £20-odd plus resistors.

On new Superbs they can be just fitted..... In fact any old LED CANBUS bulb can be fitted but on older cars my own included it doesn't matter what coding you do via VCDS (Note my earlier post #11 above) they will still need resistor installing unless they come with them fitted inside which i doubt.

It seems something has changed on the newer FL cars compared to the pre FL cars.

• Like 1