Tyres

Helston Hauler

To me, the problem is not knowing how noisy/quiet a new tyre will be when its half worn - they all sound quiet new compared to the old worn ones.

I quite enjoy winding the window down and revisiting the past - weather permitting of course.

Why is it so difficult to choose a good reasonable priced quiet tyre,I have read several tyre comparison sites and no 2 people seem to give the same answer,Grrrr.Any ideas welcome.

Because different people hear sounds in a different way and are affected differently.

• Like 2

If I hadn't bought Goodyear Vector 4Seasons I'd have gone for Goodyear EfficientGrip for the favourable road noise/efficiency ratings.

Buying tyres is extremely difficult, unless your not fussy, round and black will do...far too many variations, comparisons etc right up there with buying a tv. I actually find buying a car easier.

Maybe it just me.

I just bought 4 uniroyal rainsport3's for wife's Golf, 225 45 17, £53 each delivered, did take me nearly 3 months to buy them right enough.

Edited by servicepoint

I remember the bad ol' days of 'radial force variation' from the old 'two halves' style of moulding that we were subjected to out in Oz well into the 70s.......the alternative was the Michelin X from what I recall, then the emergence of Bridgestone and others.

Now it doesn't seem to matter where they're made it seems.

Goodyear Efficient Grip, not as noisy as the original tyres but it is all subjective.

I like them for the performance as well :D

Look out for offers, I bought them during a 25% off then asked for more off and got it!

I was so surprised I was suspicious!!

Edited by gumdrop

Anyone fitted Michelin Energy Saver tyres?

Got them on my greenline 1.6tdi

On new Tarmac whisper quiet but on old Tarmac or motorway/ dual carriageway quite noisey

I've taken the seats out of mine to make more use of the space and have noticed more noise from the wheel arches but as I've said on newly laid Tarmac it's very quiet upto 40mph then it's like a van

Thinking of soundproofing after I went to ATS to ask about tyres

I test drove a 2.0tdi with 17" wheels and i wouldn't buy it because of road noise

16" is a lot better with Michelin energy tyres but the noise is still in the back of my mind and ime trying to see if I can live with the noise

When I had my Yeti I did not get a choice when it came to tyres, the Yeti was on a Leaseplan service plan and you got whatever was the cheapest to LP.

So, Yeti arrived on Dunlops, good grip, quite noisy and covered 35K miles.

1st change LP issued Bridgestone Potenzas, lower noise than Dunlop, great grip and managed 30k miles

2nd change as above Bridgestones 30k miles

3rd change Continentals were fitted, these were very quiet but grip was compromised as the tread pattern was just straight bands around the tyre, they also wore unevenly and lasted a meagre 25k miles.

4th set were Bridgestones again and they are probably still on the car now.

Every time I had tyres changed all 4 were worn down the same except Continental, noise, quietest were Bridgestone and best wearing but loudest were Dunlop. 

Got them on my greenline 1.6tdi

On new Tarmac whisper quiet but on old Tarmac or motorway/ dual carriageway quite noisey

I've taken the seats out of mine to make more use of the space and have noticed more noise from the wheel arches but as I've said on newly laid Tarmac it's very quiet upto 40mph then it's like a van

Thinking of soundproofing after I went to ATS to ask about tyres

I test drove a 2.0tdi with 17" wheels and i wouldn't buy it because of road noise

16" is a lot better with Michelin energy tyres but the noise is still in the back of my mind and ime trying to see if I can live with the noise

I have the Greenline but in Elegance trim with the Michelin tyres.

I was surprised by the amount of soundproofing already in the car, I don't know if that is down to the Elegance spec.

But I run my tyre pressures midway between recommended normal and Greenline pressure as shown on the filler flap and it is quieter and a little more supple.

Well yesterday I decided to buy two new Dunlops. Took advantage of the visit to get the fitters to put summer wheels on again.Felt quite smug at that smooth efficient operation. Until today. First I drove to collect my papers and on returning to car found a very flat new front tyre. Tried to inflate - no go. Luckily I had parked next to a garage and they kindly put on my spare wheel (no charge) I went on to tyre fitters having picked up a part worn Dunlop spare I kept when I had rear tyres changed in Summer. Brand new tyre badly split and unrepairable. £115 for less than 24 hours use. The fitters fitted my Dunlop spare (no charge) to use until a re-ordered new Dunlop arrives.

Then this afternoon, to add insult to injury, there was quite a thick covering of snow on first day of summer tyres.

One thing I was thankful for is the decision to buy a spare wheel - which I have needed to use about 4 times in the 4 years of ownership. Never needed to use a spare on cars I've owned when spares were standard.

Re my split tyre the fitter showed it to me and said I must have hit a very sharp stone, upturned slate or such like, causing an unrepairable 4 way split right in centre of tread. Looked like considerable very local impact damage rather than simple penetration by sharp object like a nail. A very expensive day.

Just had Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance fitted today.

Not sure why I got the XL rated ones though. Might explain why they were £15 more per tyre than Kwik-Fit.

Got a full alignment check done as well and had the rear camber adjusted quite a bit and the front accordingly.

Initial impression is that the car feels smoother and 'runs on' more (and takes more stopping) but can't say any real noticeable different in the noise stakes.

Will be able to update on MPG soon as I have a long journey coming up tomorrow.

Well yesterday I decided to buy two new Dunlops. Took advantage of the visit to get the fitters to put summer wheels on again.Felt quite smug at that smooth efficient operation. Until today. First I drove to collect my papers and on returning to car found a very flat new front tyre. Tried to inflate - no go. Luckily I had parked next to a garage and they kindly put on my spare wheel (no charge) I went on to tyre fitters having picked up a part worn Dunlop spare I kept when I had rear tyres changed in Summer. Brand new tyre badly split and unrepairable. £115 for less than 24 hours use. The fitters fitted my Dunlop spare (no charge) to use until a re-ordered new Dunlop arrives.

Then this afternoon, to add insult to injury, there was quite a thick covering of snow on first day of summer tyres.

One thing I was thankful for is the decision to buy a spare wheel - which I have needed to use about 4 times in the 4 years of ownership. Never needed to use a spare on cars I've owned when spares were standard.

Re my split tyre the fitter showed it to me and said I must have hit a very sharp stone, upturned slate or such like, causing an unrepairable 4 way split right in centre of tread. Looked like considerable very local impact damage rather than simple penetration by sharp object like a nail. A very expensive day.

I'm a member of that club.