Commuting to Leeds from the south

ColinD

• Administrators

Hi folks,

Fairly location specific one this. Considering a possible life change event, it involves getting back in the car /train. On a plus point, no more poverty lunches :D

Anyone commuting into, or has done, into Leeds, LS1?

I did two+ years from Sheffield to Manchester, but it was hard work, similar distance but on slow traffic laden moorland routes fantastic at night roads.

After perspectives, tricks, avoid x or y times etc. 

Leeds city centre is terrible. I avoid it at all costs. The one way system is a nightmare, if its windy they close one of the major roads in, which would affect you if you're coming in from the south end. Definitely a train/bus job, not for the car.

• Like 1

As said...The train station is very good but Leeds is a nightmare by car and parking is very expensive..is short..Dont

Even Buses are painfully slow at getting around

If you can get by with just the train..Fine

• Administrators

Travelling from Sheffield, north, so think medowhall/deepcar.

On paper it's 30ish miles door to door, 48mins... thats on paper.

Trains a bit longer + transit to and from stn, cost irrelevlant as job opportunity would warrant and fund it.

The location is between the station and the A58M, off Wellington st.. so on paper the train should be logical. Or I culd ditch car 5 miles out, or the leeds climbing wall and bike the rest.

Getting ahead of myself, but preparing the objections/realities in my mind ahead of appyling ;)

I'd heard about wind issues, is that round the high rise where a guy tradically died, or another place?

Wellington Street is just by the Station

Cant you take the bike on the train?

IAH its not far to walk

Only 2 bikes per train in peak and it's enforced, if you turn up with a bike you might not get on.  Bikes in peak times are a nightmare and causes no end of arguments

Park and Ride?

I don't know Leeds but I do use a Park and Ride scheme and it can be a good option. Often the roads are optimised for the PnR buses. Or you could get cheap parking and bike in if you are so inclined.

Guy at work commutes from Sheffield in to Bradford centre by car every day, he's 'lucky' in that he works from 7:30 but the journey home can often be 2hours door to door in the winter. One hitch on the M1/M62 and you can add an hour easily.

Only 2 bikes per train in peak and it's enforced, if you turn up with a bike you might not get on.  Bikes in peak times are a nightmare and causes no end of arguments

I was going to say, "Unbelievable" but its Northern Rail...LOL

Any way...If its just off Wellington Steet..5 minute walk at most

• Administrators

Had the bike issue when going transpennine to manchester. Had to be first on with your bike, or no dice, 2nd stop you loose. Not good when the other end was a 4 mile walk or cycle. Did toy then, as I would now, with a foldable.

The location is ideal for the train at that, the leeds end. My end I'm 4 miles from the stn ;) So in theory I need not be worried by needing a bike on the train at all, given I'm meant to be a mountain climber, wellington st as I recall is pretty flat ;)

Just need to worry if the abandoned bike has got any wheels when I get back :) Funny how that scenario has only just revealed it's self... 

Since you mentioned Deepcar, could you not get the train from Penistone / Barnsley, probably be easier than the commute into Sheffield train station (by car at least)

• Administrators

Train from penistone is a good call. I'm actually between worral and hillsborough, but I go to m1 north via deepcar. Handy for the wet days, drive to penistone and jump on choo choo. Used to do the same for manchester from bamford, free parking just a picket fence to the station.

Super thanks for the input. Bigger challenge now, applying or applying myself more to deliver my own product...just hope I'm not making fools gold.

Trains from Penistone are 1per hour in each direction (something to bear in mind with start/end times)

You won't be far from Middlewood? Could catch the tram into Sheffield or have a look at Russell's Bike Shed in Sheffield station, there is 24hr secure bike storage there (for a fee)

I wouldn't want to drive to Leeds, When I used to live in Wakefield the journey times to/from work (in Sheffield) could vary drastically upto J39 M1 & I work shifts and don't commute at rush hour times.

Matthew