Another towbar topic

HorneyMX5

I had a good search, this topic seems to be a minefield.

I need a tow bar fitting to a 2009 4x4 with NO Towbar prep. It's for towing a race car so only single electrics.

I'm based in Hampshire, who should I use, what should I get and what should I pay?

Thanks. :)

Edited by HorneyMX5

Are you prepared to DIY?

I'm about to fit a Skoda towbar and electrics (no towbar prep) to my Yeti 4x4.

Not anticipating any difficulties as long as I can get the terminals out of the fuseboard and relays.

Are you prepared to DIY?

I'm about to fit a Skoda towbar and electrics (no towbar prep) to my Yeti 4x4.

Not anticipating any difficulties as long as I can get the terminals out of the fuseboard and relays.

I am anticipating DIY fitting a towbar to mine as well. Any chance of a few photos and step by step instructions when you fit yours please? I am considering Towsure for supply of towbar and electrics. Where are you getting yours if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks - Dave

I'm a pretty competent DIYer, built a few track cars over the years. My problem is time vs money. If someone can do a proper job for a reasonable sum I would rather pay and save my spare time for spannering on the race car.

I am anticipating DIY fitting a towbar to mine as well. Any chance of a few photos and step by step instructions when you fit yours please? I am considering Towsure for supply of towbar and electrics. Where are you getting yours if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks - Dave

I got the bar from Skodateile and originally had their wiring loom.

When that arrived it was obvious that the length of wire from the 'boot bung' to the 13 pin connector was too short so I asked to send it back. Ales is great and offered to send a genuine Skoda kit to me as soon as I returned their version to him. This has now happened and I just need to get to half term and find a dry day to get cracking.

I will take pictures (I already have some of the rear bumper coming off when I made initial explorations with the first loom) and do a write up in my project thread. There is already a thread with pictures for fitting one with factory prep (I couldn't find the one on here so gave the link that I have).

• Like 2

Having DIYed my wiring loom (with towbar prep) I would recommend seeking the OEM wiring and towing module. Everything clips into the place it is designed to and is the right length. Also, having watched the fitter fit the hardware, I'd have a go at it myself.

Don't forget to factor in a visit to the dealer (or a friendly VCDSer) for the module coding.

Edited by weasley

Try RD Auto Electrics, Darren, 01332834505 / 0774600119, he fits for PF Jones at your home, he can offer better rates 'privately' than via Jones, he also travels the country fitting!

He also codes the vehicle after fitting! - Excellent service, about 1.5 hours to do mine(in Nth Worcs)!

Well after all the reading and advice I've booked it into Phil Taylor's for Saturday 30th for a Witter removable @ £540.

Good price, what electrics?

Fred

Any pictures of your kayak trailer?

I'm considering a small trailer with a long arm and putting roof bars on top of that.

Would be much easier than loading the roof of a Yeti.

Well after all the reading and advice I've booked it into Phil Taylor's for Saturday 30th for a Witter removable @ £540.

I opted for a Witter fixed type, with two bolt flanged ball and single electrics all in for £330.

My dealer sent me to where they go to get them fitted,  

DSCN2927   Copy

Edited by RickT

The cheapness of the fixed type appealed but I tow so infrequently I felt a removable one was more suitable. It will also stop my wife using it as a battering ram when parking. 

The cheapness of the fixed type appealed but I tow so infrequently I felt a removable one was more suitable. It will also stop my wife using it as a battering ram when parking.

Quite the opposite for me though, stops other cars using my bumper as a "parking sensor"

6ed28aed93c30ff09c1f54e55efd92c0.jpg483b4cb76c57b47466822602e397daef.jpg

Back from Phil Taylor's Towbars and can't recommend them enough. Less than 50 mins to fit, cut the bumper and code the car. One happy Yeti owner. I'll be trying it out on Friday when I tow the race car to Abingdon CAR-nival where I'm competing in the Sprint on the Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. Loom fitted from dash to boot was done in that time as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again, Wow!

Bet they had a small team working on it though?

Still, I could have driven down there, had it fitted and driven back and still had it done quicker than I did my own...