Driving modes - O3 Elegance 1.6 TDI

Hey guys,

I have recently purchased a 03 Elegance 1.6 TDI and I noticed that when I go into the driving modes menu and select custom, I only have two options for the steering weight, either Normal or Sport, but no Eco, is that correct?  The reason I ask is that I watched a video review of the O3 and in that video the reviewer noted that in Eco mode (I think) the steering weight can be made to be so light that you can steer around a tight roundabout using only 1 finger.  I'm not suggesting that this is good practice!!, but the steering on my O3 is quite heavy in comparison to my Fabia 1.9 TDI was, and pretty similar to the steering weight on my BMW 325 TI sport (52 plate) with it's big fat tyres on it.  It's no big deal, but has me wondering if there is perhaps something wrong with the power steering.  I can hear no noises coming from the power steering when in use though.

Thanks!!

• Like 1

I think you are the first to complain their mk3 steering is too heavy

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the steering is too heavy, I'm not complaining, just raising a query.  It's just that that review I watched has me wondering id the driving mode functions are working correctly, that's all.

There is no Eco mode for Steering, only Normal or Sport.  Normal is way to light, like the steering wheel isn't actually connected to anything.

O.K. thanks guys, so that's my menu options query confirmed, no Eco mode. that's fine, and thank you for the confirmation :happy:  But, I have found the steering weight in both Normal mode and Sport mode to feel pretty much the same, and not very light, it feels quite weighty to me. Like my BMW.  Perhaps it's stuck in sport mode?  I don't have access to the car right now to check again unfortunately. It's at the dealers regarding a completely separate issue.

Edited by TheTokRa

I've switched all mine to Sport, I don't like the normal steering it's far to "flighty" and the Sport engine setting seems to have no effect on economy.

There is a definite difference between the two steering settings though.

O.K. thanks guys, so that's my menu options query confirmed, no Eco mode. that's fine, and thank you for the confirmation :happy:  But, I have found the steering weight in both Normal mode and Sport mode to feel pretty much the same, and not very light, it feels quite weighty to me. Like my BMW.  Perhaps it's stuck in sport mode?  I don't have access to the car right now to check again unfortunately. It's at the dealers regarding a completely separate issue.

Check your tyre pressures and if they are OK then get your geometry checked at a place with Hunter alignment equipment.

The steering on the O3 is very light in normal mode - if you are finding it heavier than a diesel Fabia then I suspect your alignment may be out, or a fault with the electronic power steering. Someone with VCDS could scan your car and see if you have any error codes logged (when you get it back of course!)

Check your tyre pressures and if they are OK then get your geometry checked at a place with Hunter alignment equipment.

The steering on the O3 is very light in normal mode - if you are finding it heavier than a diesel Fabia then I suspect your alignment may be out, or a fault with the electronic power steering. Someone with VCDS could scan your car and see if you have any error codes logged (when you get it back of course!)

Thanks Andyvee, I'll have the alignment checked when i get the car back, A have a friend who runs an MOT garage, so he'll be able to check, not sure about what equipment he has though, maybe not Hunter,  I assume it's the most accurate?  Steering in normal mode is definitely heavier than it was in the Fabia, no doubt about it.  I doesn't seem to pull to the left or right either.

Oh, if it is a electronic power steering issue, would that be repaired under Warranty?  The car is 1 year old and only done 11,500 miles.

The only place where Eco comes into it with this engine is the driving mode button near the gearstick, where you can set it to to Eco, Normal or Sport. I've got mine set permanently to Sport which makes the steering a bit heavier and sharpens up throttle response, it doesn't turn it into a sports car, just makes it a bit more responsive, doesn't seem to hurt fuel economy either. So, if you want a heavier feel to your steering, try changing this setting, rather than going through your menus.

Mine is not that light on the steering either. Not much difference from my old Mondeo, unless at very low speed where it is noticeable lighter and smoother.

Thanks AllanDJ, Most of the time I have been using the car in Sport mode as the throttle does seem to respond a bit sharper that way.  I tried creating a custom driving mode and set the steering to Normal mode rather than, Sport mode, but there was no noticeable difference in the weight of the steering that I could feel.

That said, Gromle, I think you might be on to something there, as I don't remember the steering feeling particularly heavy to turn at very low speeds, like when doing a 3 point turn. I'll need to wait till I get the car back to check this out.

Thanks for all your input guys!! :thumbup: , I guess I'll just need to wait till I get the car back and see how it feels then.  I expect I'll get it back by the middle of next week.