Can I fit 225/50 R17 tyres to my Superb?

Fitted them this afternoon whilst I had it up in the air to change the oil.

Loving the chunkier look, took it for a run round the block to let the oil level settle and it was much softer dropping off the speed humps.

I'm going to run the 50 profile on my summers too when they are needing to be replaced.

The only open issue now is the possible effects on fuel consumption.

Before:

IMG_8302_zps6ndtmhrh.jpg

IMG_8304_zpsfbrhgpgk.jpg

New 'Tonka Toy' look:

IMG_8310_zpst69yjcg2.jpg

IMG_8312_zpsd5ge6hcg.jpg

IMG_8311_zps2bjeweam.jpg

IMG_8303_zps2kewzctg.jpg

IMG_8305_zpsxjwd8rxf.jpg

IMG_8309_zpswif9mzhz.jpg

IMG_8308_zps6wnxfjrp.jpg

Quite a bit closer to the front of the rear wheelarch. No rubbing or touching though, even in full lock.

IMG_8307_zps2r7j7qjg.jpg

• Like 3

The only open issue now is the possible effects on fuel consumption.

As calculated the fuel consumption will be worse but in reality it will be better - esp if you do lots of motorway driving as you'll be doing slightly less RPM.

• Like 1

I doubt if fuel economy will change much, if at all.  Higher gearing would, theoretically, give better fuel economy but it likely will be offset by the engine having to work a fraction harder to pull the higher gearing. I would expect one to offset the other. 

Edited by Laurie61
  • Like 1

After putting nearly 10k kms on my higher profile tyres, the fuel consumption has definitely suffered, by between 3% and 5%. Still glad I changed though and worth the slightly higher running cost as the ride has been transformed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'll be monitoring my MPG carefully now, but even if it suffers I won't mind, the ride comfort has substantially improved and the car now looks much better too.

The insurance issue remains, but it is a risk worth taking, at least for me.

I'll be monitoring my MPG carefully now, but even if it suffers I won't mind, the ride comfort has substantially improved and the car now looks much better too.

The insurance issue remains, but it is a risk worth taking, at least for me.

I checked with my present insurance company and it was not a problem but they will not cover replacing the wheels if they are damaged in an accident. BTW 225/50/17's are standard tyres on Superbs in some makets.

• Like 2

Oh, that's good to know. I was on the understanding that the 50 profile was not type approved for the MkII Superb?

I checked with a few tyre suppliers and they had 50 profile listed but best to check yourself. As for fuel consumption I've definitely not seen an increase, if anything its improved since I fitted a set of Dunlops. I'm not going back to 40 profile as the improvement in comfort and reduced cost of ownership is huge. No more damaged tyres!

• Like 2

I checked with my present insurance company and it was not a problem but they will not cover replacing the wheels if they are damaged in an accident. BTW 225/50/17's are standard tyres on Superbs in some makets.

Thats interesting about the replacement wheels. My insurance company (RSA) has no issue but maybe it might be worth asking that specific question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...

After putting nearly 10k kms on my higher profile tyres, the fuel consumption has definitely suffered, by between 3% and 5%.

That 3-5% can be explained by 4% greater circumference of your tires. This means that your odometer now underreads by the same 4%. So although your car measures a 4% increase in fuel consumption, the actual consumption stayed exactly the same. :D

• Like 1

I'm 6 months in now on my larger profile tyres, a few MPG less but as above this isn't real as the rolling radius has increased throwing out the computer.

That 3-5% can be explained by 4% greater circumference of your tires. This means that your odometer now underreads by the same 4%. So although your car measures a 4% increase in fuel consumption, the actual consumption stayed exactly the same. :D

I take your point re the circumference alright but was measuring on actual fills with exact same commute etc.  The computer is out by more than that.  In any case, that last December and fuel consumption is better than ever now so was more to do with winter fuel, temperature etc.

I take your point re the circumference alright but was measuring on actual fills with exact same commute etc.  The computer is out by more than that.  In any case, that last December and fuel consumption is better than ever now so was more to do with winter fuel, temperature etc.

When your calculating with actual fills, you still use your car's odometer to know how many miles or kilometers you have traveled. And this odometer now underreads by about 4%. When it displays 100 km, you have actually traveled 104km, because of the larger tires.

• Like 1

When your calculating with actual fills, you still use your car's odometer to know how many miles or kilometers you have traveled. And this odometer now underreads by about 4%. When it displays 100 km, you have actually traveled 104km, because of the larger tires.

you're wasting your time trying to explain it.  People can't get their head around the concept.

• Like 1

I like the idea of 50's but the cost difference is huge for quality tyres. Mind you mine are 40's even with 45's there is a 10-15% increase from what I have found.

you're wasting your time trying to explain it.  People can't get their head around the concept.

I do get it alright and thanks to andrehj for explaining :)  I do one particular commute every week door to door and no other driving for those few days so was only looking at how long a fill lasted versus that journey, didn't even take any notice of what was on the speedo.  Like I say, it was winter-related which I should have realised at the time.

I like the idea of 50's but the cost difference is huge for quality tyres. Mind you mine are 40's even with 45's there is a 10-15% increase from what I have found.

Yes, a very noticeable difference when you change up as these sizes are not always regular.  You will get plenty of 235/45 tyres as these are standard fit on a lot of modesl but 225/45 is not as popular so definitely a premium for it.  Over 20% more on some premium brands the last time I was looking.  Need another set very soon actually...... :(

• 2 weeks later...

Looking to get some 17" wheels for my superb greenline ( runs 16" as standard), do you think these tyres would fit ok as the greenline is lowered as standard I think ?

The Greenline runs with shorter springs which scrubs 10mm off the ride height.

You should be OK but there are quite a few owners that complain the Greenline bottoms out far too easily, saying that higher profile tyres will improve the ride height, fouling the bodywork and suspension might be the issue, although for 10mm I'd say you will be fine.

I'm thinking of getting the 225/50 17". I found some brand new Michelin Primacy 3 on 17x8" 35 ET rims. Those rims would build 24,7 mm outwards. Any opinions on the fit on a 2012 Superb estate?

I would definitely not recommend that. That configuration would bring the tires much too close to the fenders. 225/50R17 does fit, but only with ET 45-50 and on a 7 or 7.5J rim.

I think 17x8 ET35 with 225/50r17 would be too much of a punt.  8" ET50 would be a better bet.  ET45 would be right on the boundaries

This may be a small help in visualising the changes (but it's an Octavia):

16x6.5 ET50 with 205/55r16 (24.9" diameter)

SDC10908.jpg

This is 17x8 ET35 with 225/45R17 (25" dia) on an Octavia with standard factory springs.  The rear is fine.  The front pokes out past the guards approx 6-10mm but never hit the bodywork no matter what load I had on or how hard I cornered.

SDC10910.jpg

SDC10911.jpg

This is 16x7.5 ET50 with 225/50r16 (25.7" dia) on lowered Eibach springs.  Never rubbed.

IMAG0055.jpg

This is 17x7.5 ET45 with 225/50r17 (25.9" dia) on Eibachs.  Every corner was a nightmare of scrapy noises if you went in hard or hit a bump.  It probably would have been OK on std height factory springs.

IMAG0632_zpsaqjhqect.jpg

IMAG0633_zps7loqtj6b.jpg

IMAG0634_zpsijmxssnn.jpg

IMAG0274_zps56b1041e.jpg

IMAG0276_zpsc123566a.jpg

18x7.5 ET45 with 225/40r18 (25.1") on Eibachs.

IMAG0638_zpsryfvyqu6.jpg

Left is 225/40r18. Right is 225/50r17

IMAG0636_zpsbizuasyj.jpg

• 3 months later...

How've you found the higher profile tyres nearly a year in silver1011?

I need to replace all 4 tyres on my Superb within the next couple of months so considering the profile change

Only downside is the 50 profile at £19 more each on BlackCircles at the moment :(