Pollen Filter Repair Skoda Superb Mk1

Hi All,

Looking for some advice.

I appreciate this may have been asked before but I haven't been able to find a forum response to it.

I am looking for a link to where I can buy the new design replacement (Closed as opposed to open foam) Pollen Filter seal.

Also any advise on what to use as a sealant to seal the Pollen filter to the car body.

Ben

It's more usual to unbolt the housing, take out the old foam seal, clean up the plastic housing and paintwork, then use a silicone-type cartridge sealant before bolting it back together.

Though I understand it is possible to buy a modified foam from your friendly Skoda or VAG dealer, the silicone sealant option is much cheaper and in my view more likely to be a long term solution.

Edit....here is the info...   http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/152490-water-ingress-problemsolved/

Happy reading!

Edited by Tdi1.9

If you buy a new housing it still comes with the old style seal, which will only last a little while before breaking again (the upturned metal lip in the chassis cuts the treated foam surface).

The new style seal from VW is actually a sealing cord made of a butyl rubber type material.  I'd say personally that it is better than silicone; silicone stinks and is messy, and can just give way / let go.  The butyl cord deforms around the lip and is pinched up tight by the bolts.  I can't see how it would ever leak unless it somehow shrank.

There is a copy of the PDF with the part number for the sealing cord here:

http://www.skodaclub.ee/doc/vw_pollen_filter_repair.pdf

You do want a friendly dealer though as some will only sell a whole box of the stuff, which is enough for 10 cars probably, and is about £40 if I recall (or more).

I had a box but used / gave away most of it on here and just kept one set in case I buy another Sup.

Does anyone know if the Pollen Filter was replaced with an updated version with the seal replaced with decent material? The seller on ebay claims this is the case?

Doubt it.

My '99 B5 Passat had the crappy foam seal, which got replaced by VW after the TSB.  My Superb still had the same crappy foam seal, and was built a fair while after it had become a well known problem.

Gaz

Does anyone know if the Pollen Filter was replaced with an updated version with the seal replaced with decent material? The seller on ebay claims this is the case?

Where did he claim that?  Doesn't say it anywhere in the listing.

I bought a new housing as someone had damaged the rain channel.  First thing I did was throw away that foam seal.  The only difference is that it is newer and looks shiny... for now.

Hi Jimbof,

In a message he advised:

Hi, we no longer use that seal any more and haven't done for a long time. If we get any vehicles in with water leaks from the pollen filter housing we just fit these new housings that at one point were revised.

Thanks.

Caveat emptor.

I guess if you buy it you could at least then look at it and form a view as to whether it looks a better quality.  But then, while you have it off, why not seal it properly.  Daft not to IMHO.

Gaz