overactive traction control

gm11ply

I was going to mention winter diesel, but forgot!  The cold weather (it's definitely turned more wintry in the last couple of weeks) and darker evenings could also be contributing - using heated rear window, heated seats, headlights etc more often, plus the engine taking longer to get up to temperature.

Without knowing more detail about how the mpg figure was derived, a 4% difference could easily be within the margin for error.

How do some of the dealerships (think they can?) get away with such hopeless treatment of their customers?.

Don't Skoda UK do any surveying of their customers?.

The trouble is - where do you go? If surveys in the likes of Which and Auto Express are anything to go by, Skoda dealers are up there with the best of them. That isn't to say there aren't good and bad dealerships with any marque but it seems that statistically at least, your chances of landing on a good dealer is high with Skoda. I agree, there is too much 'box ticking' these days giving a perception of good service - because the coffee was in a china cup and the car had been washed (invariably with a dirty Brillo pad) we are supposed to be 'happy, customers'. I think the problem is that there is now no such thing as a 'local' dealer; the investment demands franchises are now held by massive companies with multiple dealerships. The personal service you could expect when the top person was the 'proprietor' rather than the 'dealer principal' is largely in the past.

just a wee update , after visiting the garage this morning , its booked in for early dec  , I went for a longish drive this afternoon , part way through which I noticed that its stopped spinning its wheel , so when I got back to near home (private road ) I tried to make it spin , well it looks like it got a fright going the garage and is now behaving and normal 4x4 service has resumed .

its still going in since it looks like a intermittent fault , the code reader showed heldex clutch open circuit

any thoughts anyone???

We must have one of the best dealerships in Australia with the combined Mazda and Peugeot one we use.

We get the sort of response a long forgotten old friend would get when the odd electro quirk is presented with or without warning and all under warranty - dealt with an immediate analysis and offer to relax with coffee and newspaper whilst they beaver away..........(wonder how the mechanics feel).

First time I've ever looked forward to having a service done.............McPhersons in Shepparton are definitely worth the mention.......(fingers crossed))))

just a wee update , after visiting the garage this morning , its booked in for early dec  , I went for a longish drive this afternoon , part way through which I noticed that its stopped spinning its wheel , so when I got back to near home (private road ) I tried to make it spin , well it looks like it got a fright going the garage and is now behaving and normal 4x4 service has resumed .

its still going in since it looks like a intermittent fault , the code reader showed heldex clutch open circuit

any thoughts anyone???

I'd be interested to know if it's possible to have a traction control (TC) issue and yet have a fully serviceable stability control (SC) .

If not it would appear that there is a fundamental safety issue needing a TC recall on affected vehicles.

Do they, in Australia?  How about 'platypus away'? 

Any excuse to visit Bob's Corner :beer:

As far as I know, the platypus does little dam(n) work ))
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hi all this is a wee update before it goes in to the garage,

after i booked it into get looked at the fault went away ,but on returning from my wee hol the fault has returned.

i put my code reader on it last night and got a 00448 code , heldex pump clutch open circuit v181.

i did a search for  this and low and behold its a known fault  on vag cars .

its going in in the morning . i will post what happens (i am glad i have extended warranty) on the car

hi all , post garage visit update

after giving the car a diagnostic prod fault traced to defective heldex control unit , renewed under warranty (boy am i glad i had extended warranty)

so the car is now doing what it should do when it gets slippy under the treads .

the only thing that worry's me is the car is just over 3 years old with only just over 40k , why did the heldex die so quick and will it do it again in 40k (the way i drive that's about 3 years driving ) hears hoping it will last a lot longer as i dont want to spend £300+ every 3 years .

i hope this is the end ???

I suspect you'll find that you have simply been unlucky to have a unit that failed early.  I certainly can't recall it as being something that's come up before.  Unlike things like coil springs breaking or heated seats failing, which a number of people have reported.

Bear in mind as well that Haldex systems are used in many more 4x4s than just the Yeti.  Every now and then a slightly sub-standard one will slip through QA (even the much-vaunted* Six Sigma philosophy is based around 3.4 defects per million parts).  It doesn't mean that there is an inherent flaw in the design flaw or the manufacturing process.  Perfection is basically impossible to achieve.

* And no doubt highly remunerative - for the copyright owners.

ok so i called it heldex rather than haldex , you know what i meant , i hope that is the case that the new one last longer than the last.

i know the system is used on lots of cars Evan land rover use it on there soft roaders. .

• 2 weeks later...

I've now driven two other Yeti's with non functioning AWD and the owners were none the wiser due to how they get driven. I got lucky with mine when I changed the Haldex oil and cleaned the filter, it all started working again but I previously had the sporadic clutch failure code coming up. I now purposely get my Yeti on the grass in the rain and provoke wild sideways action to ensure the haldex keeps working. It is such a nice driving sideways little car ;-)

Edited by dieselyeti
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...