Sat Nav colours

nugbuv

While awaiting delivery of my first Skoda (Yeti SE L Drive), I am wondering how possible it is to change the map colours of the Amundsen Sat Nav.

As a somewhat colour-blind bloke, I have trouble seeing reds and browns. (Don't worry, traffic lights are very clear...they are always green!!).

I find red-based Sat Nav colour schemes near impossible to decipher, particularly in night mode.

On an early TomTom I was able to download and install workable colour schemes.

Is such a facility available with Skoda"s built-in Sat Nav?

While awaiting delivery of my first Skoda (Yeti SE L Drive), I am wondering how possible it is to change the map colours of the Amundsen Sat Nav.

As a somewhat colour-blind bloke, I have trouble seeing reds and browns. (Don't worry, traffic lights are very clear...they are always green!!).

I find red-based Sat Nav colour schemes near impossible to decipher, particularly in night mode.

Pity you didn't ask the sales/service guys before signing

As far as I can see no. There are only 2 modes, day or night.

Pity you didn't ask the sales/service guys before signing

From your response am I to infer that i) the SatNav colour scheme is red-based ii) that I have no choice once ordered iii) that I had a choice of colour scheme pre-order ?

From your response am I to infer that i) the SatNav colour scheme is red-based ii) that I have no choice once ordered iii) that I had a choice of colour scheme pre-order ?

No offence

Just that you get instant advise before if they think it's going to delay your signing but afterwards: "at the appropriate juncture" or "in the fullness of time" (Yes minister) type response.

I don't know what you mean exactly by a red based colour scheme but like all/most sat navs the display is a light background (in daylight mode) with the roads and other elements in different colours.

I have to check but from memory use is made of reds and greens so you probably will have a problem, and I think the suggested routes (if the choice of 3 are chosen) are in reds and oranges!

Like all car installed sat navs I've encountered, that in the Yeti is pretty inflexible compared to some standalone units and so you will be stuck with it as is.

At least once the route is in you get the turn instructions in black and white on the Maxidot screen in front of you between the dials.

I'll have a look when I drive to work shortly to see if you can change colours but I doubt it.

Edited by VAGCF

As far as I know the colours are set.  I have to say that the night time screen is pretty difficult to read and I often find I still use the day time and turn down the brightness.

Ok, now at work.

Background colour is pale yellow with roads in a darker mustard yellow and motorways in silver edged with blue.

Built up areas are in brown and grey with vegetation in green. Only red is the car position arrow and from memory the route choices - reds and oranges.

Only you can judge but I think you may be alright.

I understand that a fair proportion of folks are red/green colour blind so it looks as though they have designed the display to help with that?

A picture would obviously be helpful, no doubt someone will post one up soon.

As said, only setting changes are between auto/day/night.

Cheers.

Edited by VAGCF
  • Like 1

I live in the same world as you. It's a real frustration to me that as 10% of males have the same colourblindness that there isn't a mode to correct this.

• Like 1

I live in the same world as you. It's a real frustration to me that as 10% of males have the same colourblindness that there isn't a mode to correct this.

I take it (if you have the sat nav) that the colours used are a problem for you?

It's hard to imagine as someone who doesn't have colour blindness.

• Like 1

Would a photographic acetate colour filter overlay help?

Ah! That's something I hadn't thought of.

Might be worth a try if the in-built settings are not to my liking.

Good one.

A possible way of resolving this may be to install smartlink and use a suitable nav app on the device that allows it's colour scheme to be altered?

Jim

That might work.

I believe the SE L drive comes with Smartlink.

It would need me to cough up for a 'smart' phone.

I take it (if you have the sat nav) that the colours used are a problem for you?

Funny thing, colour.

It is hard for me to imagine how the rest of humanity sees the world.

• Like 1

Using the nav on the Yeti isn't too much of a problem, but it is getting maximum benefit with the live traffic on our A3 as I can't tell if the traffic state is red or green.

I am wondering how possible it is to change the map colours of the Amundsen Sat Nav.

As a somewhat colour-blind bloke, I have trouble seeing reds and browns.

The turn directions and distance to run etc also come up on the Maxidot in between the dials in black and white and the voice prompts are good so no need to concentrate too much on what's on the Amundsen screen when driving.

• Like 1

The turn directions and distance to run etc also come up on the Maxidot in between the dials in black and white and the voice prompts are good so no need to concentrate too much on what's on the Amundsen screen when driving.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

You've coloured my world!

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, SimonVespa said:

Cool... getting my SE L Drive tomorrow!

Our SE L Drive came yesterday.

Today, it went to the bodyshop to be Autoglym waxed  and the windows water repellanted.

(Much cheaper than getting Skoda to do it.)

It looks shinier than new.

Enjoy yours.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...