Fabia wishbone bush replacement DIY Guide

vrsfab

• 2 weeks later...

Also, spoke to seat dealer today, the part number

has changed too N 10640301

:thumbup:

which, apparently, is also a Lamborghini Gallardo front diff mounting bolt :-)

Have bought the Sealey bush tool and new bushes (the new 'unvoided' 1K0407xxx standard Seat ones, since the cupra 6LL407xxx ones are now extortionately priced at almost £20 each, and the new 'standard' ones look almost the same as the cupra ones apart from the nylon housing) so planning to tackle the job in the next day or two...

Edited by jvn

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick Q .... looking for Powerflex bushes PFF85-601 -- can't find them on Powerflex site :S Mine is a 2000 and can only find PFF85-201, being the front wishbone front bush for 2002 ->.

Any ideas ?

• Like 1

Just a quick Q .... looking for Powerflex bushes PFF85-601 -- can't find them on Powerflex site :S Mine is a 2000 and can only find PFF85-201, being the front wishbone front bush for 2002 ->.

Any ideas ?

Is this the front bush on the front wishbone that you are looking at?? If it is don't get them get the superpro?? (will get more info) version as the steel inner sleeve is thicker and doesn't eat the subframe plate!! :@ Had problems (not all Powerflexes fault). I think that the ARB and rear (console) bush are best in Powerflex but not the front bush on the wishbone B)

Found it!!!!!

http://www.superpro.eu.com/catalogue/16/skoda-fabia-mki-2000-_to-2005/

SPF3311K Front Control Arm, Front Bush Kit

List Price £52.97 plus VAT

B)

This i think is the best front bush (better the Powerflex which I allready have and will be swapping)

Edited by fabdavrav

sorry about the random post however i've searched and cant find an answer to my problem,

i've got a 2003 polo 1.4 tdi, i recently had the standard bushes changed for cupra ones.

ever since the car is rattling more, if i change gear a little early it just shakes the whole car, it was fine if i did that before i had them changed.

on the motorway the steering seems to have a little play in it, it doesnt seem as responsive and the steering wheel and whole car shake at high speed.

this has only happened since i've had them changed.

does anyone have any idea where i go from here?

thanks

sorry about the random post however i've searched and cant find an answer to my problem,

i've got a 2003 polo 1.4 tdi, i recently had the standard bushes changed for cupra ones.

ever since the car is rattling more, if i change gear a little early it just shakes the whole car, it was fine if i did that before i had them changed.

on the motorway the steering seems to have a little play in it, it doesnt seem as responsive and the steering wheel and whole car shake at high speed.

this has only happened since i've had them changed.

does anyone have any idea where i go from here?

thanks

That sounds like a loose bolt to me!! Did you tighten them all up to the correct angle and setting!!!!

se my post in the tech section of Fabia owners bolt and torque settings ... about third post down big post with the settings B)

That sounds like a loose bolt to me!! Did you tighten them all up to the correct angle and setting!!!!

se my post in the tech section of Fabia owners bolt and torque settings ... about third post down big post with the settings B)

i had it done at my local garage, not had a chance to have a look at it.

i've been told it could be the engine mounting thats causing the booming when i change up early (2k revs)

i had it done at my local garage, not had a chance to have a look at it.

i've been told it could be the engine mounting thats causing the booming when i change up early (2k revs)

Last year in the depths of winter my console bushes gave out, couldn't do it myself..got Skoda dealer to do work...car felt funny..slightly vauge steering etc. Got under the car about 3 weeks after.. everything looked ok...got sockets out and torque wrench to just double check..and guess what!?...found that the main front pivot bolt for the front wishbone was only finger tight on both the wishbones!!!! So the dealership got a :swear::swear: !!!! Don't trust them!!!! Have also beeen told that the engine mounts are worn on my car....No it isn't.. worn suspension bushes main problem!! If the engine mounts then usually the gearbox the subframe mount..main big bush fails..Superpro make a 70shore hardness bush for this...better than the 80shore and the Vibratechnics ones as these transmit to much vibration up the steering wheel!!!!

Edited by fabdavrav

Well --- am now riding on new wishbone bushes and it feel's like a different car --- certainly sounds like one!!!

Just as well I decided to do the fronts too .... the nearside bolt was all but hanging out -- I reckon one good speed hump and it would have come clear!

Well --- am now riding on new wishbone bushes and it feel's like a different car --- certainly sounds like one!!!

Just as well I decided to do the fronts too .... the nearside bolt was all but hanging out -- I reckon one good speed hump and it would have come clear!

Very Lucky..close shave!!!!! Glad it's all better now!! B)

• 1 month later...

Wanting to do this job soon - I have ratchet straps, cupra bushes and relevant lube but my engineering friend has just got married and too preoccupied to make up the tool! Does anybody have a spare tool I could borrow/buy? I live in Devon.

I was tempted to take consoles off as this looks an easier job, but from reading this I think I'd rather avoid 4-wheel alignment and do in situ.

• 2 weeks later...

Great guide but if you use it make sure you have cupra bushes. I had the standard one which the 61 mm plate doesnt fit at all and ended up busting it. When I got the cupra bushes & followed this, I managed to do it (hard work though).

Just got to do the other side now when my bruises have healed!

Cheers :yes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All, new member here.

Just purchased a 54 plate vrs and yes, it needs the bushes changing. After reading through this post I think I would prefer to stick to the standard bushes. I dont want to get stuck under the car and wondered if anyone had fitted the complete set up? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-FABIA-SDI-TDI-VRS-FRONT-2-WISHBONE-ARMS-BUSHES-/270515450100?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3efbfa30f4 Does not seem bad at £80 for a pair of arms and bushes?

Just purchased a 54 plate vrs and yes, it needs the bushes changing. After reading through this post I think I would prefer to stick to the standard bushes. I dont want to get stuck under the car and wondered if anyone had fitted the complete set up? http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3efbfa30f4 Does not seem bad at £80 for a pair of arms and bushes?

Price seems about average. I wouldn't buy off the shelf cheapy rear console bushes, I'd get the latest standard VAG part. There are a lot of the older original style bushes on the market and you'll need to replace them again in a couple of years (if that).

Thanks.

Phil.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to revive an old thread (am new too)

Folow'ed this guide on my 9n polo which im fitting cupra bushes , went down the road and brought an off cut of 10mm thick steel plate which they cut up , went down to screwfix and brought 6mm and a 12mm drill bit (with staff discount) , And got the bushes in (This is after we snapped a vice)

And i cant get the arm in

I really do hate cars sometimes

Tomorow , second attempt.

Nice thread.

And i cant get the arm in

I really do hate cars sometimes

Been there seen that.. Get yourself a ratchet strap, the wider the better. I bought a cheap rolson 2" wide ratchet. Use to very long cable ties through the front bush and housing and pull tight. You'll not get the bush into the housing as bind against cable ties. Suspend the wishbone with some more cable ties from whatever you can hang it from.. Then fill the rear console bush with silicon grease (spray is cheaper) or normal grease (by the bucket load) and also on the end of the wishbone.. Line everything up and you should be able to get the whole wishbone to suspend and just sit into the rear console.

This gives you both hands.

Then use the ratchet strap around the rear console and the wishbone. ratchet it up.. you'll find it'll just pop in. If it doesn, then you've not enough lubrication. Lube is the key. Silicon based s*x lube will also do. I've got some Johnsons silicon based baby gel (like oil, just gel and silicone) and that's slippery..

I hope you get the idea.

Thanks,

Phil.

Cheer's fella

Back down to screwfix tomorow it is , I didnt havea ratchet strap

My father held into the front bar (bumpers off anyway for bulb swaps) while applying presure by his feet and i was wiggling it when a good 3/4 in but jesus chist its like trying to fit a mellon down your jap.....

Ratchet straps and more grease , day 3 :(

My father held into the front bar (bumpers off anyway for bulb swaps) while applying presure by his feet and i was wiggling it when a good 3/4 in but jesus chist its like trying to fit a mellon down your jap.....

That will defo not work. The hex profile on the "pin" that goes through that rear console bush is very very tight. As it goes it in it actually pushes the grease out of the console and binds dry... Also make sure you put a good blob of grease on the "pin" head so that as it pushes the grease out of the console bush it also manages to push a little in at the same time.

I've done two cars, replacing both sides and I can say that each time something different has gone wrong.. Ironically, getting the wishbone back in becomes a doddle once you've managed it a couple of times ;) It's when you fit the console bush and a sugar sized but of dirt gets dragged in with the bush, it binds half way down and you can't get the bush in or out.. Takes 20 minutes to burn the bush out and you need to then get it reemed as the heat can slightly warp the housing .. any way ...you've actually done the hard part.

Thanks.

Phil.

Finaly got one side done

I did go to screwfix and buy a ratchet strap and that helped so much , I asume as everytime it went in slightly , the strap was wound up keeping it in.

Did snap a bolt on the ball joint though , Coroded really badly but the others were fine , wondor if it was a replacment from a garage in the past

Atempting the otherside monday morning!

Finaly got one side done

Well done.. persistance is the key...

Did snap a bolt on the ball joint though , Coroded really badly but the others were fine , wondor if it was a replacment from a garage in the past

You can get wishbones anywhere, I bought 2 new ones of ebay. I had a tracking problem, kept pulling to the left. Everytime I took it back to the garage they said the tracking was bob on. When I replaced both the wishbones, sorted the issue out, I suspect it was a weak ball joint or slightly bent perhaps.

Thanks,

Phil.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting that the Haynes manual bales out and suggests taking your car to a dealer. So thanks to all for the basic instructions, tool description etc. Both garages I asked about this job said they would remove the suspension console. Why is it called a console? One said they would press the bush in on the bench and the other that they would put the console on the workshop floor and push the bush in by lowering their four-post lift down onto it - really! Incentive to DIY!!

Here's my experience fitting Meyle HD (and four year guarantee) aftermarket bushes to a Fabia 1.

I made a tool using 12mm studding, a couple of nuts and washers and two plywood washers - about 15mm thick. Standard type bushes have a shoulder on the front so there is no need for any sized or even circular washers to fit inside the housing. Square washers are fine! These bushes are made of plastic and rubber so shouldn't need huge pressure to get in. Think of it like pushing a cork back into a wine bottle. Like a cork, the trick is to get it started straightish, keep up the pressure and it should slide in with no problems. I used silicone plumber's grease (for sliding much larger plastic drainage joints together).

Four small points:

1. If you remove the ball joint from the wishbone, use a scriber or paint to give you some registration marks for re-assembly on the underside of the wishbone/ balljoint rather than the top. If you scribe around the margins of the trapezium shaped cutout in the wishbone you'll be OK.

2. After the front wishbone bolt is removed, the wishbone can be pivoted forwards slightly to give a bit more clearance to slide the balljoint out of the wishbone.

3. Both front and rear bushes should be unstressed (rather than twisted) when the car in sitting on the ground. So tighten the front wishbone bolt last and when the suspension is compressed. As for rear bush, apart from getting it the right way up (the hex wishbone socket is not central in the bush and should be nearest the centre of the car) achieving a non-twisted installation needs crafty marking and measurement of where the wishbone sits (with the car on the ground) in relation to the console. It's probably OK to install them with hexagon flats horizontal in the console (because the wishbone is roughly horizontal) for standard suspension setups. But with lowered suspensions I might be tempted to rotate the bushes by a few degrees.

4. Re-using the old bolts is a no-no but since we all do - put some threadlock on them!!

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Here's a DIY guide on replacing the Fabia front wishbone bushes with Seat Cupra and Powerflex alternatives.

This is a fairly involved process and should only be attempted if you are a fairly experienced DIY bodger like myself :).

Please read and understand the guide before commencing as the hardest part of the process is the reassembly and at this point the car will be impossible to move if you can't finish the job.

Parts required:

1 Set Powerflex bushes - Part No PFF85-601

2No Seat Cupra Console bushes - Part No 6LL407183

1 Tube VW Special lube for fitting Console bush - Part No G 294 421 A1

6No Bolts for Balljoints - Part No N10127707 (VW Part No)

2No Bolts for Front Wishbone Bush - Part No N10141801 (VW Part No)

Note:- The bolts were purchased from a local VW dealership as none were in stock at any local Skoda dealers.

Tools required:

Tool to fit Cupra bushes into Consoles (See below for Details)

Jack and Axle stands

A strong socket set

A senior hacksaw

Mallet

Large screwdiver

Torque Wrench

Ratchet strap

Making your Bush fitting tool:

PB300049.jpg

This consists of an M12 x 150 long high tensile set screw, 2No M12 washers and 2No M12 nuts. These are readily available from your local hardware shop or Fixings supplier.

You will also need to get a friendly local engineering shop to make the large spacers for you. I managed to get all 4 spacers made in return for a 20 bottle crate of Stella.

The spacers are 8mm thick with a 12.5mm dia hole in the centre. You will need 2No @ 61mm dia and 2No @ 71mm dia.

Procedure:

Jack up the car and support it on the sill jacking points with axle stands.

Remove wheels and engine splash guard.

Remove the 13mm nuts on the lower ball joint.

PB300032.jpg

Pull the hub outwards and slide the lower balljoint out of the wishbone.

PB300035.jpg

Remove the 18mm bolt from the front of the wishbone

PB300031.jpg

Slide the wishbone out of its front mounting.

PB300036.jpg

Remove the wishbone from the rear console bush. This is best done by rotating the wishbone to the 6 o'clock position a few times while maintaining forward pressure.

PB300034.jpg

A view of the old console bush.

PB300037.jpg

To remove the old console bush I found it quickest to cut partially through the outer nylon casing with a hacksaw blade threaded through a void in the bush. When the casing is partially cut you can tap a blunt screwdriver between it and the console and the nylon will split. Tap the bush out from the rear.

PB300046.jpg

PB300047.jpg

Clean the inside of the console with WD40 and a Scotchbrite pad.

To Remove the front wishbone bush from the wishbone you will first need to cut off the rubber flange from the rear side of the bush with either a hacksaw or knife.

PB300041.jpg

Fit a large socket over the remaining flange and a smaller socket on the cut side of the bush and using your M12 set screw, pull the bush out of the wishbone and into the socket.

PB300043.jpg

Bush removed.

PB300044.jpg

Fit the Powerflex bushes into the wishbone as described in their instructions.

Fitting the Cupra bush into the Console.

The bush should be fitted with the flush side towards the back of the car and with the hexagon hole flat at the top and bottom. (See the fitted pic)

Lubricate the console and the bush with the special lube, place correctly aligned, into the console and tap it gently with a mallet to start the fitting.

Put a large spacer at the rear of the console and a small spacer at the front of the bush. Thread the M12 Set screw through the spacer, bush, console and spacer and fit the M12 nut at the rear. Make sure there is plenty of oil on the thread.

Start to tighten the nut and check the bush is still aligned with the console.

Carefully tighten the nut and bolt until the bush is pulled through the console and is flush at the rear.

PB300048.jpg

New Cupra bush fitted.

PB300050.jpg

Refitting the Wishbone:

Lubricate the hole in the Console bush and the hexagonal spigot on the wisbone with copious amounts of the special lube.

Place the wishbone into the bush and start the fitting with a few taps of the mallet.

Place the ratchet strap around the rear of the console housing and round the Powerflex bush at the front of the wishbone.

Ratchet the strap to pull the wishbone into the console bush. It will be difficult and a few more taps with the mallet may help the process. The wishbone is correctly fitted when 3-4mm of the spigot protrudes at the rear of the console bush.

PB300051.jpg

PB300052.jpg

Hinge the front bush into its correct position, as shown in the pic above, and fit

a new 18mm bolt. Torque to 70Nm and tighten a further 90 degrees

Refit the lower balljoint back into the wishbone and fit new 13mm bolts. Torque to 20Nm and tighten a further 90 degrees

Refit the splashguard and wheels and lower the car to the ground.

Get the tracking checked as soon as possible.

I hope this helps someone out or at least helps you to make the decision to tackle the job yourself or get the proffesionals in.