Fabia wishbone bush replacement DIY Guide

vrsfab

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a useful guide to correct fitting orientation for anyone wanting to fit Meyle console bushes (bush part number 1006100027/HD)...

Meyle.jpg

Edited by TMB
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I just came across this forum and this topic and I will definitely stick around!

I have unfortunately made a mistake changing the console bushes...I used regular grease to put them in  :wall:.

What should I do now, replace them again...or cross my fingers and hope they won't spin in the console?

Any piece of advice for a newbie/n00b :sweat:?    

Thank you!

andrie once you've installed them they are a bitch to remove. the reason they were easy to remove in the first place was because they were most likely broken.

anyway don't worry they shouldn't spin. when I installed mine I didn't use any grease.

mine squeaks at the moment. because the wishbone is rubbing against the plastic. I have resolved my issue by using lithium grease.

• 4 weeks later...

HI,  thanks for the info, makes it look easy and worth doing, i dont want the wife in and out of the house pestering me while the football is on, so if she looks at the guide she can just get on with it, [ i hope she never reads this]. all the married lads are looking at this laughing. ok yes I WILL BE DOING IT MYSELF. but AFTER the football. thanks again, these guides are a great part of what BRISKODA is all about. best regards to all.

• 6 months later...

I'm going to do this tomorrow to replace the console bushes as they're knackered.

I noticed that @Jimmy P has removed the console and wishbone as a complete unit. Is this easy to do? Is it just a case of removing the bolt that connects the wishbone to the hub and the vertical bolts that connect the console to the subframe? Is there anything that would get in the way?

I have access to a vice so if I can take it to the vice I think it would be much easier.

Well, that didn't go to plan. Tried to use a vice and a brake calliper rewind tool disc to press the new bush in but it broke the vice. So it looks like I'll be frantically searching for a place where they can fabricate some metal discs for me!

• 4 weeks later...

Just to let you guys know that I got a tool made and fitted the bushes with ease using the tool. I got them to make me two discs, one larger one which fits over the end and a smaller "top-hat" one with an extended disc so it pushes the new bush in without damaging the edge.

If anybody needs the tools, PM me and we'll sort something out.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello all

I know it is very bad form to make a first post on a forum asking for help, but needs must, so apologies in advance...

I'm just tackling the bushes on my son's 2003 1.2l 3 cyl Fabia. I seem to have hit a snag: I cant get the front bolt out of the wishbone on the RHS. On all the vids and pics, it seems there is plenty of room just to pull it out. On the 3 cyl car, the bolt hits engine sump before it is half way out. I've tried swinging the engine forward ('dog bone' removed, and that gains me another 5-10mm but still not enough to get the bolt out of the bush.

My options seem to be either to drop the entire 'console' (much as Jimmy P suggested) or undo the RH engine mount and lift the engine slightly - enough for the bolt to clear.

Anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?

Thanks very much.

I haven't experienced this (only done the nearside on our 1.2, a garage did the other for me), how much does the engine appear to need to lift to create enough clearance?

I would suggest loosening bolts that go into threads in steel rather than alloy if there is a choice; less chance of thread damage.

I had a go at (gently) jacking the engine to the limit of the engine mount, but that isnt enough, so I'm going to have to undo the RHS engine mount. It is only a single nut, so hopefully, shouldnt be too much of a problem (famous last words!!).

Edited by dorsetclive

A little progress report. As I suspected I had to remove the nut on the top of the engine mount to lift the engine high enough to remove the bolt. I was surprised just how much I had to jack it to get the bolt out.

Once removed it was actually surprisingly easy. I had borrowed a very effective bush removal tool, so that made the job of replacing the actual console bush pretty simple. The biggest issue was getting the ball joint re-engaged with the wishbone...a right PITA!!

This evening I started on the LHS. The same as the driver's side, one of the three bolts holding the ball joint was seized solid, so out came the grinder and drill to get it out. Not too much of a problem. However, oh, how I regretted thinking this would go well from then! The front pivot bolt is REALLY tight, almost seized. I can just about shift it with my breaker bar (but my impact gun doesnt touch it). The downside is I cant get more than about 1/16th of a turn at a time, so much faffing! I'm going to get some more 1/2" extension bars tomorrow, so I can get the breaker bar out at the front of the car. I just hope I dont sheer off the bolt. That would be REALLY annoying!!

Edited by dorsetclive

Oh dear, that sounds all too familiar. I would be quite surprised if you don't end up fitting a new, or new-to-you console even if the bolt does eventually come out.

The fact that it is being a sod means that the steel bolt thread is probably pulling bits of alloy around with it, damaging the thread in the console as you go. Have you squirted lube in from the far end of the threaded hole?

On ours, the bolt eventually jammed up so tight I had to break it to get stuff apart. (:

Hmm, it gets worse!

I bought some more 1/2" extensions, so I could get a decent leverage on the bolt (quite fun seeing a metre long extension bar made up of five different extensions - very wobbly!). I also dug out my oxy-propane gas axe. Much heat and levering later I managed another 1/4 of a turn :(

I then thought to hell with it, I'll take the entire console out and attack it in my vice...but having got all the other bolts out, I realised, of course, I need to get the front wishbone bolt out to free the console from the pressed steel 'subframe'. Oh damn!!

I'm now soaking it in PlusGas...again. Be interesting to see if that makes any difference.

My ultimate fall-back is to slice off the bolt head close to the 'subframe', lever it out and see if I can get it out once it is on the bench...

• 3 weeks later...

Well time has come to replace the N/S console bush. I replaces the O/S one last year and it manageable job without any major hickups. Mainly thanks to this guide which was spot on :)

Now the N/S one is a different story, 2 of the 13mm wishbone bolts seized solid, and the main front wishbone bolt seized. After some force it has now snapped near the head after being removed about 1/2"

Ive half removed the console its self to be finished off tomorrow, just wondering if anyone has a part number for the console its self and a rough price??

Cheers

You don't say what year the car is, but assuming for the sake of argument a 2003, ASZ-engine vRS, you'd want 6Q0199293E I think, according to this page.

That side is subtly different to the non-vRS ones (D suffix), I can't remember what's different.

Around £100 new genuine from TPS; rather less from aftermarket suppliers on Ebay etc.

Good luck with it. I think the nearside is more often affected due to more puddle-splashage, and so more salt and corroding of the steel bolt/alloy console thread through the open end of the tapped hole.  If they'd only made them blind holes this would probably never be a problem.

• 3 months later...

This question has been asked a few times on this topic but I couldn't find any answers.

Is there a need to have 2 of each size of spacer? In the description only one of each size is mentioned.

Thanks,

Shane

• 2 months later...

I've just completed this job on the ns of a 02 fabia. was a lot easier than i was expecting- took about an hour start to finish

only 2 nuts to undo - the front wishbone bolt and the ball joint. separate ball joint by hitting the side of the carrier with a hammer.

i cut the old bush with a knife while pulling the wishbone out. then pull and twist the inner part of the bush off the arm with mole grips once off the car.

i hammered a screwdriver between the old bush and the console housing, this caused the bush to fold in and it came out easily.

before fitting the new bush to the console squirt some wd40 in it and push onto the end of the arm, its stiff at first but as you do this, turning the bush over it becomes an easy slide fit.

now fit the bush to the car, i used two plates made up for something else and a mountain bike wheel bolt(just what i had)

post-127131-0-02993000-1444466646_thumb.jpg

note leaflet showing the bush orientation.

post-127131-0-04119400-1444467014_thumb.jpg

i coated the outside with copper grease.

post-127131-0-12205900-1444466928_thumb.jpg

the bush is bigger than the hole so was very springy but once lined up went in without too much hassle.

post-127131-0-84275900-1444466950_thumb.jpg

squirt a bit more wd on the end if the arm and push into bush

replace front bolt and ball joint.

i fitted a standard febi bush which was £6.05 from my local motor factors.

• 11 months later...

Hi All, just a quick question as I had intended to do the n/s console bush today but could not get the ball joint out of the wishbone after removing the three bolts.

I was going to remove the trackrod arm nut and/or the driveshaft nut from the hub that might have allowed a bit more flex on the hub to lever the ball joint out but did  not have the correct tools. I did try turning the steering wheel from lock to lock but it did not seem to offer enough play to get the ball joint out. I had not at that stage taken the 18mm console bolt out which may have given me the clearance I needed. Should taking the three balljoint bolts out (and the 18mm) allow you to slide the wishbone out of the balljoint arm?

• 6 months later...

Hi

I know that this is an old thread but it proved so useful for me I thought I should add my 'tuppence worth' to the pot!

Needed to replace the front lower rear (console) bushes on my 2002 Mk1 Fabia 1.9 TDi Estate.  Followed this guide and I have now completed the job successfully.

Managed to do everything on the driveway, with the bush housing in situ - You will need suitable supports (axle stands etc - be SAFE!)

Things I learned:

1. Follow the guide in this thread - Its the right way to do the job!

2. Be very careful when removing the 18mm bolts from the front of the wishbone - Masses of WD40 / Plusgas on ALL the bolts, then leave them overnight - then spray them again!  You really don't want to snap these

3. buy / make a bush removal tool - I purchased a VAG removal / refit kit from fleabay for £32 inc postage - I know its a big expense for a one off job but, geezz, does it make things easier or what!!  Weigh £32 up against my garage quote of £130 PER SIDE (yup, £260 + vat) and it stacks up

4. When refitting the new bush make sure it goes in the correct orientation - Flat bits at 12 and 6 o'clock

5. Fitting the wishbone into to new bush is THE MOST DIFFICULT BIT!!! - do not underestimate this bit, I did and spent 2 hours faffing about before doing the right thing.  This is what to do....

5.1  Buy some Silicone Grease - comes in small amounts for just a few £s (you only need about 20ml to do both sides) apply liberally to both the socket in the bush AND the spigot end (pin) of the wishbone

5.2  DON'T think you can use WD40 / Grease / Wash Up Liquid etc - I tried them all and the spigot would not locate more than 10-15mm (you could ignore this and you MIGHT be lucky, but nothing worked for me and its 2 hours of my life I wouldn't want to repeat)

5.3  Use the ratchet strap method shown in this thread to pull the wishbone into the bush - DON'T skimp on the ratchet strap you use, it still needs a LOT of force to locate the wishbone - I bought a small, cheap strap and it broke in minutes.  I borrowed a really meaty one from a lorry driver friend and that was perfect

6.  The rest of the reassembly went without a hitch

Once I hit upon the right method to insert the wishbone into the bush, each side only took a few minutes to locate the wishbone correctly.

I hope this might help anyone who needs to do this job - Good luck!

C J

Edited by CJ5774