Fabia wishbone bush replacement DIY Guide

vrsfab

You need to wind some lock on to the side you are working on. Full lock will move the track control arm out far enough to slide the ball joint out of the wishbone. You're right about it being a fairly lengthy DIY job.

Yeah tried with the wheels pointing in both driections, but still seemed not enough space. At least it's all done now.

Just another simple tip for anyone about to do this job. This may or may not have already been mentioned:

Make sure you clean the threads of all the bolts, caged nuts, and console before refitting and tightening the wishbone / TCA. If you're using new bolts then fine, but I'd really recommend spraying the inside thread of the console with lots of WD40 before retightening the big 18mm bolt going in to subframe -> wishbone -> console. Failure to do this will result in the bolt going tight in the console before it's pulled tight against the wishbone.

Lube is your best mate for this job:)

Well, I'm doing this over the next week on my 9n Polo.. The steering at the mo is mad! little bumps in the road send the car all over the place, and I can tell you even doing 60mph is SCARY!

I'll be fitting new standard wishbone front bushes and got the Cupra rear wishbone bushes, also fitting 312mm brakes at the same time, I'll report back on the new feel after fitting it all :)

Going on coilies next month :)

Thanks for a FANTASTIC thread! This has inspired me and given me that little bit extra confidence to do the job :)

Ta, Ollz x x

Well, I'm doing this over the next week on my 9n Polo.. The steering at the mo is mad! little bumps in the road send the car all over the place, and I can tell you even doing 60mph is SCARY!

I'll be fitting new standard wishbone front bushes and got the Cupra rear wishbone bushes, also fitting 312mm brakes at the same time, I'll report back on the new feel after fitting it all :)

Going on coilies next month :)

Thanks for a FANTASTIC thread! This has inspired me and given me that little bit extra confidence to do the job :)

Ta, Ollz x x

Hello DubNutty,

Will be looking forward to your report of how well you got on. (Fingers Crossed 4U.)

The serial numbers for the "Cupra" rear bush, was it as quoted in earlier threads??

ie:- 6LL407183 and, was there a full solid block of rubber on the inside??

Thanks for any added info.

Best regards. Ian. 11/06/2009 :):thumbup:

Hiya,

That number for the bushes is correct as far as I remember, and it has a small rubber insert where the TCA goes in, then a metal ring, then a small amount more rubber then the outer casing. This is wrking from the inside of the bush towards the outside.

Thanks very much for the good luck bit, I'm sure I'll need it!!!

I'll try and get some detailed pics of the bushes efore I insert them :)

All the best, Ollie x x

DubNutty, you mention fitting new standard wishbone front bushes - AFAIK there are none they are part of the TCA so can not be bought by themselves. If they are wrecked most people fit Powerflex ones after chopping the original one out. The Cupra rear bush is solid rubber although it has a hex inner sleeve to fit over the TCA hex pin - also it has an aluminium outer sleeve - whereas the standard bush has a nylon outer sleeve.

I got a pair of powerflex bushes for the fronts yesterday evening! £37 delivered from venom motorsport.... Good enough for me, plus I like them guys! Managed to find lower engine mount poly bushes too which was certainly a good find!!!!!!!! :D :D About £40 odd I think?

I can say that you can get the front wishbone bushes, Firstline do them (i work in a motor factors), but they're about £15 retail each, so may as well go for the poly bushes! I believe the std ones would have to be pressed in with LOTS of lube hehe even though yes they are mushroom shaped on both ends!

Do you recommend using fairy liquid as soneone suggested on here, for the rear bushes, or do you have tu use the seat lube stuffy?

Ta!!!

x

Interesting to know that about aftermarket standard bushes - but as you say, a bit tricky to fit as they have lips at both ends - so Powerflex two piece must always be easier.

The assembling lub stuff - well I got a VAG indie to fit mine, but as I needed to get him to re-do one side (correctly this time), I bought a new bush at Seat and got asked "do you want the lub as well?" out of ignorance I just said "yes"! The VAG indie might have used copper-ease - well on the side he did a repeat replacement on! The proper lub stuff or something like it, might stay on the bush/console longer so make fitting a bit easier. The Seat place did seem to have it in stock at that time - the lub that I bought, as you can imagine, is sitting unused on a garage shelf (along with a lot of other "really good buys"!).

Hello,

Independant garage fitting new (rear) bushes both sides (MOT failure) 40,000 miles 4 year old, 16/06/2009. Too old to be crawling about on the floor.

Garage fella said upon asking him, whether it worth fitting front bushes? his reply, seldom ever fit new bushes, perhaps done one in the last 4 years, my idea was not recommended/advised, by him.

Asking the mechanic who was about to fit the new bushes, what sort of lubricant does he use to ease the wishbone in? his reply, soap, the sort tyre fitters use.

He didn't drop a name, and felt I couldn't ask too many questions.

I must say, the owner has ran an independant garage for at least 25/30 years, so find his answer an honest one.

Polyurethane "Powerflex" front bushes which appear (in pictures) to come in two halves seem a (long term) answer for the front anyway.

Have (again) only seen pictures of the rear polyurethane bushes and detect one end has a lip, just like the original manufacturer's nylon outer casing one, which sits at front end of wishbone.

The site "AVS Car Parts" site might also help, as you can buy a new (steel) wishbone, new front bush already fitted and ball-joint also fitted, for £36.17p delivered to your door.

Your views all appreciated, whether through experience, critical or advisory.

Thanks to one and all.

Ian. 12/06/2009 :):thumbup:

Edited by giandougl

Well tbh I would put the rubber bushes in the front part of the wishbones seing as the poly ones are much cheaper, plus at work I retail them at £15.90!!!! Poly ones were £14 something :)

If any of you guys want piccies of what aftermarket bushes look like, or whats available on the aftermarket market, have a looky here: :thumbup:

FirstLine catalogues=-

... Or for any other cars of any make etc, checkout this:

FirstLine catalogues

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
;) Just remember you will have a harder ride with the cupra bushes as I drove the fabia the other day, and when the engine starts to struggle you have a booming noise coming through the wishbones, what about changing them for VRS bushes would they be softer ride ? :confused:

havn't read all this thread so sorry if it's been covered it's also a bit self evident but, if you have an accurately made spacer for the pull thro' part it serves well as a go/nogo guage, in the ally' housing before fitting the new bush , if you have to tap it out after pulling the old bush it really makes a difference to fitting the new one

;) Just remember you will have a harder ride with the cupra bushes as I drove the fabia the other day, and when the engine starts to struggle you have a booming noise coming through the wishbones, what about changing them for VRS bushes would they be softer ride ? :confused:

I've had this done on my wife's Polo 1.4SE and I've not noticed any real noise/vibration problems - you mentioned "when the engine starts to struggle" - maybe try to anticipate that and avoid it, in her case its a petrol engine so maybe this is less of an issue (less torque!). I'd reckon that the VRS bushes would be the same as the rest - ie voided.

If I'm changing just the console bushes (for Cupra items), can I get away with not removing the wishbone? Is it possible to just remove the part which the bush is mounted within? Or am I hoping for to easy a life!?!

In a word no :thumbdwn:, you have to remove the wishbones to be able to remove the bushes, have a look at the guide, the bodywork stops it going in from the back. cheers - Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in deep doodoo.

I've just tackled this job on my daughter's Polo TDI. I was surprised at how easily everything was going until I hit a snag.

I bought some large washers and a centre bolt and pulled through a new Cupra bush. I decided to leave it flush at the front, which leaves a gap of about 10mm at the back of the casting.

A couple of tie-down straps later and the wishbone spigot was fully into the bush. I then found that you can't get the front wishbone mount into the steel pressing.

I pulled the wishbone out again and have spent the last 3 hours trying to persuade the bush to go into the casting another 5mm.

I'm stuck.

Anyone in the Yorkshire region with the correct tools I could borrow / buy please?

I have some discs and will be passing thru the Yorkshire area tomorrow evening, only thing is I have just promised them to someone else, maybe you can pass them on?

How have you managed to get the bush further in without the right tools, you are doing well!

Doing well is not a description I'd use today.

VRSFab has offered to lend me his set and I'm motorbiking your way tomorrow to collect them but thanks for your offer, mate.

GREAT people on this Forum.

I used ordinary steel washers to pull the bush in flush at the front, and Fairy liquid. Alloy bush in alloy casting is never good.

I just can't seem to get it in any further (ooh-err missus) so that it's flush at the back. Hopefully the proper tools will sort it.

The most awkward part of the job was fitting the wishbone spigot into the bush. I nearly wept when I had to pull it back out. A stroke of genius suggesting the ratchet straps.

I've found that it's possible to buy a pukka tool - the Laser 4443. Trouble is, the cheapest I can find it is £89.

What a difference a day makes.

I borrowed the correct tools from VRSfab and the job was a doddle. I've done both sides now and the steering is remarkable.

I had to use my motorbike to nip down to see him and it rained all the flippin' way. As soon as I started on the job the sun came out and now it's finished I'm sweltered.

It's like going from deep depression to nirvanah, or something.

Very grateful to VRSfab and the whole Forum. Decent people on here.

Now to my next job.......

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am new to this forum but I am very impressed on how helpful and informative everyone is. I am about to replace the suspension arm bushes on my son's Ibiza. i have read all the postings several times and my impression is the job is fairly straight forward but that may be because everyone as explained it very well.

My only concern is putting the bush back into the consul because I do not have the correct size of washers. Is there any one out there who would be willing to sell or perhaps hire me these items? All costs would of course be covered. Many thanks.