Skip to content

TheWanderer

Resident Member
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by TheWanderer

  1. Yeah, that would be a good analogy of the engine noise. Only for about 60s though There was about ¾-1ltr of oil on the floor when I stopped it. A bit more this morning. I'm going to have to wait to see what the bill is before making the decision whether to go via insurance or not, because of the £400 excess. If it's >£1k then it would most certainly be an insurance claim.
  2. It sounded like it was gasping, no grinding or grating noises, but I did that little bit in about 3 mins. I hit it about 30 mph I thought that it was one of those builders bags that had blown into the road. I don't know what was in that bag and I can't say what I'd like to do to the grubby 🤬 who put it there!
  3. I made it from Guildford to about ½ mile from home when the oil alarm went off, but was on a hill with a series of bends (all unlit), so wasn't in a position of safety, so I took it out of gear and let it coast downhill and through the bends into our village, as so not to stress the engine too much and then for the last ⅓ mile I used 2nd and 3rd to just get me to our drive and in. Shut it down and then it started smoking and any remaining oil poured out. Is it true that the sump on this is reinforced plastic or is it metal? I don't think its damaged the gearbox as it was working fine.
  4. A new sump. I hit a bag late last night and it contained something that has taken a chunk out of my oil sump. So any idea what the cost is likely to be? Do I need to sit down before reading it? TIA
  5. My lease still has quite a while to go, so it will be sometime around November before it becomes available, but it has loads of toys including VC, heated seats, heated windscreen, electronic dampers, canton, climate control (was an option). ATM the mileage is just over 12k, so by the end of the year, it might be 18-19k, I can't see it much more as I'm unlikely to be going to Somerset this year due to Covid 19.
  6. I find that I lose the radio when I drive down the A31 past the Hogs Back transmission site which somewhat ironically transmits the TV and radio stations for the area. 🤔
  7. They must have been lead footing it because normally I get ~300 mile out of a tank and it was on target to do that and when it came back it had 218 on the clock, with 75 miles range, which dropped down to 70 as soon as I started it this morning. But I'm curious why they used it for approx 57 miles. I bloody worry if I'm now going to get a speeding ticket for their trips.
  8. Sasha is the electronics wizard.
  9. Had it specced on mine, very much a love hate relationship with it. If you have it make sure that you get it calibrated in 10mph increments it looks much better than the standard 20mph one. Yes it looks nice, but the resolution and detail could be better (it might be on newer one's). It should be far easier to configure it than it is. Like I said it's a love hate relationship.
  10. I have just had my cars (much delayed) 1st inspection, they've come over and collected my car and returned it. Now when I parked it last night the fuel range was 125 miles and 11995, it has just come back and it now has 12082 and just 75 miles of fuel left. What on earth have they been doing? What does a 1st inspection consist of and does it involve driving the car 80 odd miles (28 to/from dealer)
  11. Depends on the power draw of the drive. Ultimately it's better to just use a USB pen drive or SD card.
  12. So Shy's always banging something out in his car! Oooo Matron.
  13. Wouldn't bother with Canton, it's overpriced and I don't think that there's much (if any) improvement on the standard setup. If I decide to have another RS then I doubt very much that I'll be having Canton as an upgrade.
  14. I wish I could afford to get rid of mine, unfortunately got too much time left on the pcp, otherwise it would be gone like a shot. Glad you enjoyed your car.
  15. I'd turn it off, just as I did on this one. I hate it, I like quiet drives or listening to music/radio. If I were to have one I would ask the dealer to disable the noise maker as part of the sale deal. It's like many celebrities these days, fake (teeth, face, (body parts) and personality) .
  16. Ebay has some adaptors at a reasonable price too.
  17. Have a look on AliExpress, you may have to wait a while but it will be a lot cheaper.
  18. But you have failed to say if the parking brake activates on the car when you turn off the ignition and the gearbox is in park (not when it's in traffic and start/stop is functioning) and (possibly) doors locked via the fob, that to me is a simple fail safe function to prevent the car from running away backwards or forwards when you leave it or for fuelling.
  19. This has actually changed my opinion on it, I'm quite liking it. Still don't like the stupid electric parking brake, which I think is too easy to forget to activate, unless it activates automatically when you turn off the ignition and it's in park.
  20. I have found that if you have a Baseus wireless car charger and adaptor in the lighter (aka accessory socket), you can then put a second cable into the USB socket and initiate and run AA successfully without any issues. Now this is all well and good if your phone supports wireless charging. If it doesn't then the only option I can see is to use the port doubler that I have previously mentioned to achieve charging and Bluetooth connectivity. My S20+ does support wireless charging and when it's in the Baseus charging cradle, it leaves the phones usb port available, so I can connect it to the system via a cable and have a Bluetooth connection at the same time.
  21. Unless I'm very much mistaken, the sat nav can be switched on without the ignition being activated. It would therefore be possible for anyone who may break into the car to find out what the owners address is by simply activating the sat nav and looking at the "Home" location and subsequently stealing the keys later. It may well be prudent, not storing your home address as you know where you live, but store a nearby general location instead, something a station (bus or rail), library etc, near to your home address, as your home address. I use the village next to the one I live in, not my actual address.
  22. If you buy a diesel and do loads of short trips, then I think that you could be opening yourself up to engine issues with limp home mode and regen problems. If you do decent runs to/from work or regular longer distance, motorway and dual carriageway stuff, then diesel may well be a viable option. But if you are doing mostly short trips and town centre driving and infrequent longer distance journeys then a petrol engined car would be more appropriate.
  23. Did have it in Eco mode for a the longer motorway and dual carriageway stretches and there were a few 50 mph restrictions with SPECS on them, Guildford - Nottingham via M40, A43 and M1, then Nottingham - Kidderminster (for the SVR) - Worcester - Cheltenham (for the GWR) - Swindon - Reading - Guildford via M4, A329M and A322, it was when it got near Brookwood that it started flagging up about fuel, so I filled up at the JS supermarket. 🙂 And a good few sections were done non stop (no toilet/food breaks etc). 359 otc at Brookwood, with hindsight I think I could have made it back the last 12 or so miles easily.

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.