Everything posted by JohnMack
-
Buying Octavia mk4 vs keeping MK3.5
I agree, if it's mechanically good and the bodywork is in good shape, unless you're in competition with the neighbours to have the newest cars (some are !!), I'd be keeping it. Look after what you have and it'll serve you well. ......or if you just fancy a change, fair enough although you might miss the BHP ?
-
FREE Westfalia Tow-Ball
This was with our 2009 Octavia VRS estate, car was sold and this left! Collect from Scottish Borders.
-
A4 sideskirts on Octavia
Yes, you've missed reading the first post, I only asked if anyone has done it?! 👍
-
A4 sideskirts on Octavia
I'm assuming you think I'm refering to vehicle length ?.....I'm not. Below is what I googled.👍 The wheelbase of a 2018 Skoda Octavia is 2,686 mm (2.686 meters or about 105.7 inches). This measurement is identical for both the hatchback (liftback) and estate (wagon) variants built on the Volkswagen Group's MQB platform. The 2018 Audi A4 has a wheelbase of 111 inches (2,820 mm). This measurement applies uniformly across the standard B9 sedan and Avant (station wagon) configurations.
-
A4 sideskirts on Octavia
Google says A4 is about 5" longer?......so those skirts in the pic might reach the ends of the sills on the Octavia?
-
A4 sideskirts on Octavia
I’m wondering if anyone has fitted the sideskirts from an Audi A4 onto their Octavia? They’re not obtrusive, but are noticeable. It’s the sort of thing I’d like to do although also very likely I’ll never do!…. so just wondering if it’s been done by anyone here? Picture of skirt for reference….
-
Adding Security to vRS Wagon, due 1 September
If you want piece of mind, fit a hidden kill switch. Then even if your keys are taken the car can't be started.....assuming you've flicked the switch that is ! I see modern cars with steering wheel covers/locks these days, a good deterrent I think?
-
Opinions for new shocks+springs
Now there's a question, 'twas over 10 years ago! I remember at the time the springs were just lowered/uprated to suit a normal Octavia. When fitted the car sat exactly the same as it did on 6 year old factory springs.....I took it to a 4-wheel alignment place and it needed no adjustment according to the fancy picture/print-out I got. At the same time as fitting the springs I replaced the shockers with Monroe ones... I wasn't impressed with them even at the fitting stage, push and pull test didn't impress me. I changed to Bilstein ones later, I think they were just OE spec?(bought from Autodoc) I've fitted KYB shockers to other cars (not mine), was quite impressed with them during fitment.
-
Opinions for new shocks+springs
I fitted an Eibach spring kit to our last VRS estate, they were still on it when sold 10 years/150k miles later. I fitted Lesjofors to the front of my Dad's Ford Focus, one broke within 2 years. I rate Eibach !
-
2017 Octavia wing sponge removal.
Thanks, I'll pull the liners off in a years time for a wee look.
-
2017 Octavia wing sponge removal.
After getting our VRS estate in October last year I had it in my head to remove the arch liners and wax the bits you can't see....having bought it in October the weather didn't really lend itself to the job in hand so after some continual warm weather I did the job at the weekend. All 4 arch liners came off and a whole can of Bilt-Hamber's finest was skooshed about, liners were re-attached with new stainless screws. Anyway.... I removed the sponge type things from between the front wing rails and wing, and from the A-pillars. The A-pillar pieces were noticeably wet and holding crud at the bottom. After driving the car I noticed NO increased noise, I thought there might be a little more wind/road noise but seems the same. I am thinking the painted hinge area and "sill doorstep" area might need cleaning more often now ?? Anyone else done the same and what side-effects did you get...... I might consider fitting some kind of non-sponge type liner to A-pillar hinge area ?? Thanks for reading.
-
Bulb blown light but none blown?
Hoping it's just a no. plate bulb for you. On our 59 plate estate we had bulb warning on randomly........ eventually the LED high level stop light failed. I replaced it with an eBay job (there's loads advertised) but the fit around the hole in the tailgate wasn't great, however it's replacement did sort out the bulb warning. 👍
-
Another Oil Consumption Topic
I think it's because you look after them by changing the oil frequently 👍
-
Engine oil in coolant :(
It's all I had at the time I replaced the cooler. Best of luck 👍
-
Engine oil in coolant :(
You mentioned a dishwasher tablet to clean out the cooling system?....did you do this? Reason I'm asking is I had major oil contamination in my Audi (1Z) from what I assumed was the oil cooler, changed the cooler and flushed everything through with a hose-pipe but never actually used any chemical flush. I seem to get an oil residue in the expansion tank every now and again, I think it's just oil that's been trapped somewhere in the water jacket. Maybe I should stick a dishwasher tablet in it ?!! It doesn't bother me, car runs fine .
-
Visually etc. My car of the day -today
In the 1st picture, the silver Merc's in the way ?! In the 2nd picture, the black Merc's in the way ?! Any other pictures? 😉
-
Visually etc. My car of the day -today
Agree, it's about bringing back memories of a different time ☺️
-
Visually etc. My car of the day -today
Deadly serious .....I'd rather have the Fiesta. 👍
-
Octavia water pump
As above. If you supply a pump and "the garage" fits it, then maybe after 6 months there's a problem with the part or workmanship.......who's to say if it's the part that's the problem or the workmanship. Have the garage supply and fit the part then if there's a problem it's on them.
-
New MK3 Octavia vRS Owner
0.3 litre per 1000 miles seems to be what ours is using, I think sticking rings due to long service intervals ? I can live with it, car goes well and doesn't smoke.
-
New MK3 Octavia vRS Owner
Nice looking VRS, were the wheels silver when you bought it or have you had them powder coated/painted? Needing the wheels done on our VRS😐 Having just recently bought a mk3, my one bit of advise would be to check the oil regularly so you can get an idea of any consumption.
-
Octavia facelift brake calipers TRW or "Lucas/TRW"
My experience of sticking pistons ...... I usually find that corrosion on the calliper body has pushed the DUST SEAL inwards so it restricts the piston movement. Pumping out the piston until it can be removed, then clamp the hose, carefully remove the dust seal and remove rust from the grooves in the calliper. I've seen them bad enough that you have to sacrifice the seal and fit a new one. You can easily get a seal kit from the likes of Bigg Red, pistons too. You could refit without the dust seal, it'd give you the use of the car until a seal or calliper is found? Before doing the above though make sure the bleed nipple turns !!
-
K and n air engine air filter !
Thank you, now I know ! 👍
-
K and n air engine air filter !
I had to google VRS Challenge !.......so it's a petrol yes? Not sure if this is relevant or not as ours is a diesel......but after buying it recently (2018 model) I changed the air filter and noticed there were (flimsy) plastic bars across the housing. I removed every 2nd bar, they can be easily removed with your hands. I did think they'll be there for a reason so didn't want to remove them all but also thought they HAVE to be restricting the air flow into the engine. Anyway....so far so good, no management light on for increased air flow !! Maybe the petrol variant has a similar set-up in the air box?
-
Cars with nice backdrops...