Everything posted by thamestrader
-
Pollen Filter can only be replaced as part of a Major Service?
The Dealers statement contradicts what they have actually done. By not replacing the pollen filter they have not done things in sync. Suppose this was an engine critical part which was not replaced after 24 months and a fault developed 6 months later as a result of that part not being replaced, Skoda would argue that the vehicle had not been serviced correctly....... I have found that some Dealers are very reluctant to the point of reusing to accept they are at fault.
-
First 3 Months with my Karoq
This is a summary of my experiences after 3 months. The 2.0TSI DSG Karoq Sportline is the first car I have bought since I retired. It was ex Skoda 6 months old having covered 1100 mile. I've driven just under 2000 miles, when I was working I would have covered around 6000 miles in the same time frame. I feel this lower usage means it has taken me longer to 'gel' with the Karoq and learn to utilise its features. Switching from a 2013 2.0 TDI DSG VW Touran, build quality and feel of the fittings is much the same, although a few corners have been cut; gas struts for the bonnet replaced by a manual prop but how often is that really used, no Park Assist but I never used it. The DQ381 7 speed DSG combined with autohold/hill hold and electric parking brake make it much easy to creep out of awkward junctions and perking spaces especially on slopes which was the real ly awkward with the DQ250 DSG in the Touran. As you would expect the 2.0TSI engines torque delivery is different to the 2.0 TDI diesel. The petrol TSI uses the lower gears for longer and drops down sooner than the TDI did, Fuel consumption is of course quite different. On a long run dual carriageways and motorways I have achieved 50mpg (the diesel would have done 60+ mpg) which isn't too ba. However on running around town 20-25mpg doesn't compare so well with the TDI's 45 mpg. I think that the fuel consumption is improving the more I drive the Karoq possibly because I'm learning how to exploit its economy features. Which leads nicely on to Stop/Start (S/S) and Coasting. S/S is a Marmite feature (I like Marmite so maybe that has influenced my comments). Now that I have some experience with it I quite like it; I do find it has at least two different ways of operating: Sometimes the S/S cuts the engine, reducing brake pedal pressure restarts the engine, othertimes S/S cuts the engine and the Parking Brake light illuminates green meaning autohold is on, reducing brake pedal pressure does not restart the engine, moving the steering wheel slightly restarts the engine. I have not figured out yet why it does this. Coasting another Marmite feature, again I quite like this especially on two lane A roads where I think its better than cruise control, lifting off causes the Karoq to coast sometimes for over a mile withoiut losing speed, cruise control would have kept power applied. I'vef found my driving style has changed to exploit coasting - possibly because the TSI is less economical than the TDI. I also drive an EV from time to time and that sort of encourages you to ease off and use regenerative braking rather than actually braking. Why did I choose the 2.0l TSI Sportline? I didn't want another Diesel as my usage and mileage no longer suited a diesel, The 1.5 TSI petrol engine has had a somewhat mixed reception, I bought a 2015 1.2 TSI Fabia with dry clutch DQ200 DSG gearbox based on my experience with the wet clutch DQ250 in the Touran and I just prefer the wet clutch driving experience. I towed a 2 axle car trailer with the Tour an so wanted an engine whose torque curve was similar to the 2.0 TDI, so 2.0l TSI petrol and this Sportline specification. Finally the inbuilt Tech. I use Carplay for Itunes and Phone calls, the Voice Control I don't have the time or patience to persevere with. Its annoying that the inbuilt Phone via Bluetooth doesn't link into Carplay. Navigation entering destinations is frustrating, but resusing previous destinations is fine, I use the My Skoda App on my Iphone to set up destinations and download them to the Karoq, quicker and easier, so I'll probably renew my subscription when it expires. I have configured my own Driving Mode; Normal, with Sport Steering and no Sound Aktor. The combination of the Reversing Camera, the latest front and rear sensors and the 'emergency brake feature I find very useful., Finally I will never choose diamond cut wheels.........once scrapped........... Thats it I think.
-
Can Parking assists cause transmission system (manual) malfunction?
Yes I recall something similar and replied to the poster. Just looked back it was a mid June post with Skoda 2020 gear control issue in the title. I m not familiar with the gear pattern on the manual but if reverse is to the left of first then it would be possible to select reverse instead of first if the linkage is worn. I would be tempted to park up to a cardboard box and then experiment to see if the right gear is selected. Also switch the parking assist off and see what happens.
-
1.0 DSG Karoq Service at 5years old @ 30,000 miles
@croquemonsieur that’s an impressive schedule for swapping tyres. I swap mine but generally once at 50% worn, I usually replace all 4 at 3mm. Unless the well laid plans are messed up by sidewall damage.
-
1.0 DSG Karoq Service at 5years old @ 30,000 miles
Re the rear brake 75% worn. Agree that fronts should wear faster than rears. Referring to my Touran again at 108,000 the rear pads were still originals, fronts had been replaced at 60k miles.
-
Electric Tailgate
Can’t comment on the longevity of the strutts yet, but I find the kick pedal to be frustratingly difficult to operate, there is obviously a “knack” and I don’t have it. The remote open on the key fob is very useful as is the touch on boot catch.
-
1.0 DSG Karoq Service at 5years old @ 30,000 miles
108,000 was when I replaced the Touran, suspend bushes was around 5 yrs and 70k miles. From what I read on the forums the multi link is prone to causing wear on the rear tyre shoulders when the bushes wear.
-
Data Transfer Warning Message
Try changing the setting of the Guest profile. When I first got my Karoq, I got a tpms not set warning message every tins I started if. Eventually got rid of it by setting it on the Guest profile as it hadn’t been set.
-
Skoda karoq seat panel
You might be able to improve it a bit. I’ve found some of the vinyl trim sprays can disquise scuffs, grey shoe cream can also help hide scuffs too.
-
1.0 DSG Karoq Service at 5years old @ 30,000 miles
The Touran has a multi link rear suspension, my 2.0 Tsi Karoq rear suspension looks very similar if not identical. I assume your 1.0 Tsi has the same rear suspension. I had the lower arms replaced, they come with the bushes already fitted, it’s quicker less labour so lower overall cost. I was getting uneven rear tyre wear on the inner edges which apparently is “feature” of the VW multi link suspension on PQ35 platform vehicles. Front suspension required the consol bushes which are the ones in the big alloy casting. Again front tyre wear was the visual trigger. Even at 108,000 miles it was still on original shocks. I must admit I was surprised how different it was to drive after the 4 wheel laser alignment, which was necessary after the suspension work. The steering was more precise, the ride around corners was much smoother.
-
1.0 DSG Karoq Service at 5years old @ 30,000 miles
It’s quite possible your 5yr old Karoq would beneficially from having the suspension bushes/mountings replaced. I had Touran prior to my Karoq and after replacing front and rear suspension bushes followed by a laser 4 wheel alignment it felt much better.
-
Quietest Karoq?
I will be changing to Cross Climates on my Karoq, I really liked them in my previous car, was on my third set, used to get 30,000 miles per set, which I felt was pretty good and road holding and grip was excellent.
-
Windows and roof self opening when parked
You can disable/enable that feature in the setup menu. The feature appeals to me but I have it disabled, following experience with my previous VW, twice found all windows had been left open overnight while parked outside. Fortunately on the drive and not visible from the road.
-
Heated steering wheel
Try the Retrofit specialists, I've used HazzyDayz in Markyate and Richter Sport in Bletchley, but they are quite a way from SM3. There must be equivalent specialists around the M25. It is likely to be expensive though, Hazzydayz website lists the heated steering wheel for a Mk8 Golf at £1195. Suspect a Karoq would be similar. I have a heated steering wheel as standard in mine (not used it yet). The heating is swu=itched on by a button on the wheel.
-
Quietest Karoq?
Retrofits - try Richter Sport in Bletchley or HazzyDayz in Markyate.
-
AdBlue system on diesel Karoq?
Prior to the Karoq I had a 2013 2.0 TDI 140 bhp DSG VW Touran, at 70 mph on A and M roads on journeys over 50 miles it would regularly do 60 to 65 mph. I only ever used Shell V power diesel though.
-
Driving modes and gearbox behaviour
In the test drive of the 24 plate Karoq, I'm pretty sure that the display the Salesman selected from the Menu for SoundAktor had a volume slider, whereas the menu on my 73 plate (2023) is for Modes which has a simple on/off tick box on individual. I have a licensed version of VCDS so I will have to investigate further. Currently I have individual set to Normal, Sound off, and Sports steering. For the other modes the display shows the settings but doesnt allow changes. Interestingly the digital manual that comes up for my Karoq lists Comfort and Offroad, I don't have the offroad pack or the Dynamic Chassis option so I assume these two relate to those options.
-
Driving modes and gearbox behaviour
VAG don't make it easy do they, I will experiment over the week and see what I get. I'm fairly sure that when knocked into Sport the engine 'Sound' is, the same as Driver Select, and it blips the throttle when changing down. Have I introduced another variable feature by mentioning Sound? I have a 2023 build Sportline, before I bought it I test drove a 24 plate demonstrator. In the Menu system the salesman was able to configure the Sound feature I think for every Driver Selectable mode, as I was driving I was paying more attention to the road than the Infotainment screen!. My 2023 Karoq only allows the Sound to be enable/disabled in the Individual Mode configuration.
-
Karoq or Octavia?
2 litre is very quick, amazingly the 2.0 TSI performance data matches that of the original Audi Quattro (engine capacity, bhp, 0-60, top speed)
-
Driving modes and gearbox behaviour
@logiclee Tests conducted, S and M do not coast. My 2023 Sportline DQ381 has multiple ways to select modes, but I've not seen an enable/disable option in the menus. I use the Mode button next to the gear lever to select one of Eco, Normal Drive, Sport, Individual and Snow. Sport mode can also be selected by flick the gear lever back when in Eco or Normal, flicking again returns to the previous mode. Manual can be selected by knocking the gear lever sideways OR via the paddles. It would be nice if the Modes Menu could be customised to remove unused modes, I use Eco and Normal and have Individual configured with Normal and Sport steering. If I need Sport mode I use the gear lever.
-
2015 Fabia 31.2 TSI 110 DSG - does this have Hill Hold?
I have conducted some tests and our Fabia does have Hill Hold and it works correctly in Reverse and Drive. The slope of my drive is too shallow to activate it - hence it runs back if the accelerator is not pressed. as the dry clutch requires accelerator input to engage the clutches. All working as expected and this driver will now learn to drive it correctly. Thanks to @logiclee for the explanation in the KAroq forum.
-
2015 Fabia 31.2 TSI 110 DSG - does this have Hill Hold?
Its rolling back immediately the brake pedal is released. This is on a slope up to the house and garage where my other two DSG equipped vehicles (DQ250 and DQ381) would move forwards on tickover without rolling back. From your post @logiclee in the Karoq forum I realise I've been expecting the dry clutch DSG to behave the same as the wet clutch DSGs, which Ive had for much longer, and I now know that it doesn't. I will have to do some tests to see whether its driver at fault and or there is an issue with the Hill Hold. On this slope I find I have to increase the revs slightly to engage the clutches and 'catch the car' as it rolls back. I do suspect that the Fabia may have a slight problem with the clutches as the revs will rise and fall without any alteration of accelerator position, you can feel the drive engaging and disengaging.
-
Driving modes and gearbox behaviour
I will conduct some tests to verify S and M mode coasting - M mode coasting does seem an odd thing. What I have noticed with coasting is that it requires a very gentle release of the accelerator, removing the right foot abruptly leaves it in gear
-
Is the Karoq 1.5 DSG any good
@logiclee Thank you for the explanation, its useful to know. I think I might have a problem with our Fabia. My drive has a slight slop up to the house and garage, both my Touran and now the KAroq will creep up the drive without rolling back, but the Fabia always rolls back until you can 'catch'it' on the clutch by increasing the revs. Its either not working at all or the slope is not steep enough to be detected. I will have to investigate further.
-
Driving modes and gearbox behaviour
Thats very interesting. DQ200 Coasting is quite different to DQ381 coasting. My 2.0 TSI Sportline will coast in all modes, ECO, Sport, Drive and Manual when it shows E, S D or M respectively in the gear indicator. It also coasts from any gear.