Everything posted by Alasdair1
-
Aftermarket radio doesn’t have sound and is overheating
Was going to fit one to my folks old fabia but I'm like you and got into problems. Did read that on some there is a diagnostic wire which shouldn't be connected to aftermarket radio. Think it was pin 3 in the yellow block. The blue block I think is for CD although mine was purple. Another thing was switching lives around. Think red and yellow to stop radio losing stored data. I'm not an expert so I wouldn't go switching wires until someone else confirms it but you could try removing pin 3 wire and see. You could also check if theres an adapter?
-
tyres
I have been running GT radial on my mk2 and also Seat altea xl and found them excellent. They both had Michelin when I got the cars and on both cars the Michelin started to deform and cause wobble while driving. Guy at tyre service said they get a lot of Michelin tyres with the same problem after two to three years they seem to go out of shape but still loads of tread left. GT are Mid range tyre but excellent in wet. My sons got the same but all season on his fabia and there good as well especialy in wet for an all season tyre. Bit cheaper than the Goodyear. Think they were around £70-00 fitted. Alasdair
-
Has anyone got vcds to sort out a brake problem in glasgow?
Unless he let the reservoir run dry I can't see how air would be getting into master cylinder especially when it was the rear calipers that were changed unless the seals are failing on the master and its draiwng in air. If the brakes start getting spongy again I would be thinking of checking for leaks and perhaps changing it. Alasdair
-
Engine oil grade 1.6tdi 504,505,507?
Yes missed out the 01. Local motor factors are very good. They said as its a PD engine its reccomended. Alasdair
-
Engine oil grade 1.6tdi 504,505,507?
Many thanks. Have been using comma 5/30 505 spec in my 1.9tdi but its no DPF so not so critical. I change annually as we do about 8000 miles a year on average. Mainly short runs so bit worried about DPF but so far no probs. Will see if I can pick up a golf haynes for the 1.6tdi. Not sure why haynes skoda didn't cover it. Mannol is a good price compared to some of the others so might give it a go. My local motorfactors sell mainly Comma and also now Napa?? but will ask them. Alasdair
-
Weird anti roll ball bushes
On the MK2 there are different thicknesses of antiroll bar. Maybe the same with the MK1. I read there is also a plastic sleeve which tends to break and disapear. Best option is to measure bar diameter. On my mk2 the bushes are 19mm with sleeve and 21mm without. Alasdair
-
Why is my auxiliary belt like this ???
Just checked febi parts finder and there are two One sided for non aircon but double sided for aircon. (You learn something everyday) Part number for double sided is FEBI 34459 Febi list skoda part numbers 06A 260 849 C ,06A 260 849 B 1195mm long Alasdair
-
Why is my auxiliary belt like this ???
Its grooved on both sides. As said havent come across one on skoda but think the beetle 1.9 has double sided from memory on my daughters old one. Reckon its the wrong belt but may be wrong.
-
Why is my auxiliary belt like this ???
Pretty sure my octavia mk2 1.9tdi is one sided as is my 1.6tdi 12 plate. I always use Gates. Maybe the MK1 is different or perhaps you have the wrong belt. Alasdair Dont suppose there is a part number or manufacturer on the new belt. If its slightly too long it maay not be tensioning properly.
-
Why is my auxiliary belt like this ???
Not sure, Havent come accross one with ribs both sides before. From the gates pic the belt should run on the outside of crank,alternator and power steering but the inside of aircon and tensioner which would explain double sided ribs. Alasdair
-
Why is my auxiliary belt like this ???
Got this from gates online 1U5 RS 1.8 T FWD Estate, AUQ engine.
-
Why is my auxiliary belt like this ???
Reckon its inside out and maybe wrong fitting. What engine do you have in the car Alasdair
-
Radio code
The code may be in the cars book orr perhaps in glovebox. If its not then I think either skoda dealer or I did see a google app that can find it from serial number. There are a few sites that can find it but they cost you. Alasdair
-
Why is my auxiliary belt like this ???
Does look like the belt is inside out. It should sit in the grooves on the alternator pulley and the crank pulley. Either that or something is out of alignment and pushing it off. If its not in the grooves the slightest misalignment would cause it to slip off. Alasdair
-
Buying an Octavia 1.8TSI with reconditioned engine?!
Depends who did the cylinder head etc. If it was done by a decent engine specialist with a waranty then reckon it would be ok. If it was done by his mate??? I have a 1.9tdi pd which has given me no trouble apart from stuck turbo and a few other age related things. Its done 138k and only reason its off the road is corosion. I used to get 50-60mpg. Now have a 1.6tdi which I struggle to get 50mpg. No problems at all so far. Both had a very good service history. I noticed from a previous post its had 9 owners. For a car with such low mileage I would wonder why its been sold on so many times? Perhaps quick fix and get rid of. Also he lists it as a 1.8 but also list engine size as 1968? If its got a good service history and the repairs have been done properly with receipts and waranty it may be ok. Price probably isnt too bad considering the price of second hand cars these days but 9 owners would worry me.
-
Unknown sensor
Might be worth asking the mechanics at your local skoda dealer. They may have come accross it before. Doubt the parts department would be able to help unless they sold one.I had a check on my o8 plate but can't see anything like it. Just wondering if its an aftermarket part or a non skoda addition. My old mechanics had a hydrogen cell in his dads that was in front of rad. Something to do with cleaner burning and better MPG. Never seen one before. Let us know if you find out. Its got me stumped but I would love to know what it is.
-
Unknown sensor
Would it be something to do with cornering lights if its using the same cable channel as the fog lights and Are the wires the same colour if you trace back. I am seeing red or brown, white and blue from your picture. Had a look in my haynes but it doesnt cover the cornering wiring. Alasdair
-
Nearside driveshaft
The Apec one if you can get it should be ok. The others maybe not. I hadnt heard of GSP so checked and they are I think now Chinese with varying feed back especially failure of cv shafts. For a short term fix If the tear/split is small then try cleaning with brake cleaner so you have no grease on the split surface and you can get gator rubber adhesive but I have heard superlglue works quite well for a short term fix. You can get split gators that glue together to save you removing shaft but never had much faith in them. Think their good for a quick fix. Unless the CV joint is clicking/rumbling when they check the wheel bearings etc I think you should be ok. Make sure you clean up all the black grease etc before the mot. Unless its leaking I can't see them failing you on it. Alasdair
-
Fabia stalling, fault 16555
Glad you have something to work on and hopefully will cure it. My sons fabia 1.2 had a very slight exhaust leak between front and rear box. Last MOT its emissions were off the scale. Mechanic mate who is now an MOT tester sealed it up with some black sealant and it passsed no probs. Its amazing how a tiny leak can cause such major problems. Alasdair
-
dq200 clutch and DMF replacement
I find that as long as you take your time and label bolts etc even the big awkward jobs are doable and not too bad. I am a stickler for everything going back exactly the way it was and torqued up properly. The number of times I have found things missing or nuts without washers loose bolts etc when I have put cars into garages or worse if its been a body repair shop!!! Drives me mad. If your changing or repairing it needs to be done right. Worse job I tackled was a toyota lucida turbo diesel cylinder head. Its mid engined under the seats and has an aux drive shaft to the front so you work in the vehicle then underneath and so on. I think from memory its around 250-300 nuts and bolts to remove seats and floor pan,then manifolds/turbo, head, rocker cover camshaft etc and timing belt as your as well changing it while its apart. Managed eventually and had none left over when put back together. Loads of bits of cardboard with holes to remind me as the bolts are all different lengths. I still have it but not on the road right now as 30MPG on a good day plus £400 road tax was getting too much. Pity as its an amazing people carrier to drive. Well done Alasdair
-
Unknown sensor
You may have to try and trace back wiring to see where it goes to. Will have a look on mine tomorrow if I can. Will be servicing my mk2 12 plate hopefully tomorrrow so while the undertray is off will have a look to see whats fitted in that area Alasdair
-
dq200 clutch and DMF replacement
I reckon mine cost about £180-£200 pounds in total which was a lot cheaper than the £700 quote I got from the only mobile mechanic that answered my messages. Wasn't too sure it was the clutch that had instantly failed or gearbox. Suddenly no drive at all with no prior slipping. Luckily clutch disc had totalled itself on the pressure plate side. All that was left was shiny metal and a pile of clutch disc shavings in and around the starter motor. Don't know what a garage would charge these days. Cars now done around 800 miles so reckon I maanaged to do job ok. That shim is a nightmare. It gets caught on everything. I suppose their sealed for life (100,000miles/10 years). As long as it lasts the waranty skoda will be happy. Alasdair
-
Unknown sensor
Are there any part numbers or are they on the bits that are missing . Cant remember seeing anything like that on my 08 1.9tdi so maybe something to do with 4x4? Alasdair
-
Nearside driveshaft
I hadent heard of GSP but have seen them mentioned on some other sites as not lasting very long. I fit Febi/blueprint. I find them a decent intermediate brand. Have heard good reports about Apec as well. Have had a couple of bearings on now for two years plus discs. Parts in motion do sell drive shafts but just noticed yours is the VRS so may be different. I tried checking Febi parts finder for fabia 1.9tdi vrs but couldn't find VRS. Apec catalogue lists the following ADS1309L left side and ADS1310R right side. They are listed under !.9TDI RS 130BHP 2003-2008 but not sure if its the same as VRS or the age of yours or engine. If there the correct ones for your car then parts in motion stock them for around £80-00 for complete shaft. https://apecautomotive.co.uk/catalogue/
-
Wing mirrors folding forward sometimes.
Sorry about the incomplete post. Laptop is old and does random things by itself. The motor that retracts the mirrors may be sticking at a certain point. Similar to when the rear wiper sticks. Had similar on a seat altea. I disabled the auto fold option as the cost of a new aftermarket one was I think around £150 and that would need painted. Couldn't find a second hand one at the time. If it closes or opens with the key then it may be wiring/control problem. Alasdair