Everything posted by leolito
- Close escape
-
Coasting & ECO Mode
I wouldn't know, as I have only one car and spec to try it π€ͺ But I did notice in Normal required much more "coaxing" to get into coasting. Another thing I forgot to mention I've noticed, and also applicable to those with drive modes: say you enter a stretch of road you want/can coast, but the car would not get into it, switch drive mode to 'Eco' and it immediately goes into coasting, then if you switch back to 'Comfort' or 'Normal', without touching anything else, it will stay coasting until you depress the brake or touch the DSG. Yes, it is fairly distracting, but as I mentioned, it was a long (boring) drive ... π Strange logic. I am wondering to disable it next week I have again another long one, and see if the driving results are more pleasant when driving in a 'conventional' manner...
-
Coasting & ECO Mode
This is correct and I've noticed and used it like that, say you are coasting but the speed increases a bit too much, tap on the brakes, gearbox comes back in, then it continues with the coasting... what I was trying to say is that, I hope some future of the system will be able to recognize a 'light tap' from a 'braking exercise' using speed differential to assess if to remain in coasting even with brakes depressed, or re-engage the gearbox, and I believe it will be so, someday. One thing also related to this, I've noticed the re-engagement of the coasting is right away in Eco, but not so in Comfort, so sometimes you wish to use Eco for the coasting, Sport for the DSG, Comfort for the DCC ... must play with the Individual setting
-
Coasting & ECO Mode
I am out for work and on a long journey (again, loving it) and on the long hilly sections without much traffic I had the chance to play at length with the controls to understand better the coasting ... The FL model will 'coast' in Eco, Comfort or Normal, will not do in Sport. The difference is the triggering, in Eco it is very aggressive, it takes very little slope or "no-load" on the engine to switch to coasting, whereas in Comfort or Normal is more relaxed (even more in Normal) to make it happen. When reapplying gas and then releasing, again in Eco jumps nearly immediately to coasting, where in the other two modes will be less engaging. You have to release the gas lightly to engage it in Normal and Comfort (very light Normal!), wheres in Eco goes in coasting regardless of how you loose the skinny pedal. This explains why driving "normally" in Normal you rarely see it .... Sometimes, when you enter a section fitting for coasting, but the car delays/lingers going into it, it can be coaxed by a light tap on the gas. Do not ask me the logic behind it, but I've done several times and it works almost every time, also in Normal/Comfort. All this works also regardless of whether the DSG (not the car mode) is in D or S mode. I have not seen any magical improvement in the fuel economy, of course π I would not expect much anyway, as I guess while idling there is a minimum of running, as opposed to the cut-off when the gearbox is "slowing" the car ... true, a FSI on idle must be very economical, but... Nevertheless it is an interesting feature, I was looking forward to coast as much as I could to learn to work with it, and around it. I still would prefer to be able to tap the brakes/brake without deactivating it (I am not a brake lover, rather use the drivetrain to slow down the vehicle, that's how I got used to drive). Obviously ACC cannot be used, but it could if brake usage was allowed with coasting. Will post elsewhere other interesting considerations about long-hauling on the 280 π
-
What have you done to your Superb III today?
Same here, I find particularly useful the early re-start when the car ahead moves away, or you touch the wheel, and this means you are faster ready to move. However it is true I drive mostly long distances, and thus I manually disabled it as I do not like a turbocharged engine cutting off without a suitable cool-down cycle ... I am actually surprised with all the hi-tech wizardy, the nerds that set up most of the "smart systems" they have not inserted a logic to prevent auto-start and shut-off in such conditions ...
-
The Superb III Picture thread
Might be going bit off-topic, and I do not really need (never got so many, pity), but how does the law considers fitting a 4ppl-seat in a 3ppl-seat? And you would be in exceed of the registration documents if seating 2 in the front and 4 in the rear. Or this does not matter in UK or other places?
-
Thoughts on Superb 4x4 280
Well, there is nothing wrong in looking at a reasonable compromise in fuel consumption for "brisk" performance, I'd say. I've used mine mostly in long runs (at least 200km), so cannot say urban MPG, but my best was 36.7, my worst 31.4. Average is on 34.9. Now, if I could keep my foot lighter .... βΊοΈ For comparison, my S6 Plus (which I am tidying it up for sale, cannot keep all), 4.2 326bhp, on similar circumstances, would do 16/17 MPG. So yes, there is a good tradeoff, I'd say π
-
Coasting & ECO Mode
Actually this is an interesting question ... because sometimes I am "waiting" coasting to come, but it does not. And sometimes when I cut it 'short', it does not resume when I would want to ... which makes me wonder ... is any technical literature available from Skoda describing systems' operation in detail? As an example, over the years (many) I came to appreciate the quality and precision of the Land-Rover technical information. For every vehicle I've possessed (yeah I am caught and drawn to the Green Oval from the times it was actually Black βΊοΈ), systems are described with inputs, outputs, triggers and logic of operation ... marvelous. Even esoteric ones, like my current P38's EAS π
-
Hi Everybody! Greetings from Δ°stanbul
Welcome from fairly close! It is not bad you like to play with the car, but make sure woman is nowhere near it to discover it ... π€ͺ
-
Hello
Welcome! Nice ride, always thought jap models such as yours are vastly underrated, in Europe at least. π
- Hello!
-
Hello
Welcome! Approaching 50 I am familiar with the feeling to want to spend more time "in" the car than "under" it! Hope it will! π
-
Coasting & ECO Mode
I like the feature, unfortunately shortly after 'coasting' I have to keep the speed in check and this disables it ... pity. I'd like the system to react differently. I do as above indicated but numbskull ... paddle down or gear lever, or brakes. I'd like coasting to be unaffected if I control speed by braking, but to 'stand down' if I use gear/paddle, this way showing I intend to resume manual control. This way I could also manage when I want to prolong coasting ... Who knows, maybe future versions will allow for this to be setup in a more personalized manner and a more seamless integration. Right now for example I love that I can go 'manual' (say forcing a downshift to keep RPMs up) and shortly after DSG resumes auto. Brilliant! π
-
What have you done to your Superb III today?
I guess it depends where you live, here where I am is very dirty, a filter rarely lasts more than an year or a few thousand kilometers. I usually taken them out regularly and dust them with the compressor, but I am replacing them shorter than what you say. Keeping such intervals is unthinkable at my latitudes π
-
What have you done to your Superb III today?
How many kms since last change, for comparison? I have to do this job as well. ...
-
VCDS options on Superb III.FL
This FL is starting to suck ... they took away the pleasure of playing! π€ͺ
-
What have you done to your Superb III today?
Well, you can always swap sides and have them all in 'bronze' ... and then bin them! π
-
If money was no object ..... ?
Interesting topic. Greece is a wonderful place, and Greeks are wonderful people, but are worth little when we get into car territory. No sense to diss the crowd, but are far down in the list, and no sense to feel disrespected by one of them, much less talking about cars. Wanting to tinker about your own car does not mean you would change it for something "better" if you could, same as we mod our cars others mod them as well. One competitor to the 280 I;ve long considered was the E63 (S212), which has many things you would want to mod a Superb "already done". But curiously, AMG forums are again full of people going for sport(ier) exhausts, even lowered setups, etc. It like a disease we cannot get rid of π€ͺπ Money no object, I would change it for NO other car. Too much money I've wasted on fancy cars. Keep me on earth now. I fancy to get in the garage a 2cv and an old SIIA or SIII and swap them to potter around happily and unworried. And leave the money problems to someone else ... βΊοΈ
-
What have you done to your Superb III today?
Nice to know ... I've had this problem many years ago, in my heavy bling years, and I thought it was something I was doing wrong, either tightening too much or cross-threading the stems. And I remember the caps came with a little "wrench" ... π€ͺ With hindsight, I was lucky as few weeks after I got all four caps stolen in a public parking lot. I was going to buy them again, but I remember a friend told me "you know what? since they shine, they get attracted to them like the poor indians were attracted to barter mirrors and glitter for valuable and useful items" Right he was, I got the plastic ugly ones since, I got maybe 2-3 stolen in 25 years ... Now I got the same friend in Whatsapp will remind him of that time π
-
VCDS options on Superb III.FL
Well, this was a TDI and I did notice it would keep, as you say, the higher gears for long. On the way going on my journey (it was early and we had time and all the nice things) it was just a D thing, on the return leg we made a mountain pass, very little traffic, and I was "chasing" (literally! π) my colleague that went to pick up a Tesla suv do not know what, so it was S all the time. I've noticed that if the keeping in the higher gear bothers (say it stays in 5th or 6th instead of 7th), a quick flick back to D solves the problem. And another back to S when needed ... hope the selector like that! π
-
S3 owners - electric tailgate / hatch closing from inside
Last week I finally could plug in the thing and see if I am able to do anything with this. I think is not possible as @MartiniB indicated in the VCDS FL topic, but what I saw is that I do not see this "H" "P" "S" or whatever suffix you guys claim to see, most likely I am looking in the wrong place ... any help here? And also, had anyone 'retrofitted' an earlier module to allow the closing from button function? FL '21, KESSY, VP
-
VCDS options on Superb III.FL
Yesterday I had a long ride, but on an Octavia 4x4 with the same 7spd DSG. I did pull the lever towards the rear and it goes to 'Sport' (only gearbox response, of course). That made the ride much more interesting, compared to the dull response in D. Can't wait to try it on my own 280 now. How foolish of me not to notice that ... how they say it? RTFM? π
-
Roof rack compatibility
While this subject is still warm, anyone with Thule "aero" or also normal, bars could measure how long their are, and/or post some pic of how they look? The idea is to see if my bars are compatible, I've used them first on my A6, then on the RR, every time I replaced only the 'foot packs' with the appropriate ones. Now that I think, is also time to "evacuate" them from the garage ... But if the bars are of the same size I could use them on the Superb π The always excellent site of roofbox.co.uk gives for all three cars 118cm (and I know 2 out of 3 are right), but I ask anyway π€ͺ
-
Toyota: 0w-8 Engine oil. A vid.
Clear enough. Got it, thanks βΊοΈ
-
What have you done to your Superb III today?
Yeah, I think you guys are both right, just that legislation might allow a different degree of action in different places π