Skip to content

Rory

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Rory

  1. That's a great tip, thanks! I can't believe there isn't an anouncement volume setting - if there is, I couldn't find it.
  2. Thanks - but if I recall correctly, you can't get to that screen while it's in nav mode and connected to the car. Trying to remember what I did - I'm pretty sure I stopped navigation and went to that screen but it didn't make any difference. I think it's simply that the announcement volume on the car infotainment system was turned right down - I couldn't get it to turn up unless it was making an announcement. At one point I could see the volume bar but it wouldn't move - I assumed the system had glitched so soft reset it, but that didn't help.
  3. I had an issue with wife's Karoq yesterday where Waze app announcement weren't working on the infotainment, using carplay. Radio was fine. I was pretty sure I knew what was wrong - the announcement volume had been turned down during an announcement. Snag was, there didn't seem (and I had a pretty good look) any way to fix this, and even soft resetting the unit didn't help. Even streaming audio over carplay didn't help - that just played as normal. In the end, got both mine and wife's phones to show the same route on Waze and when her phone made an announcement, I turned the car audio volume up and hey presto, I could hear the announcements from Waze running on my phone. Am I missing something obvious to fix this if it happens again? I thought I'd be able to get Waze to keep repeating announcements so I could turn it up, but I couldn't see how to do that (I Googled it too, and still don't know).
  4. You can buy the bits - for example listed here (note that these may not be right for Kamiq): but it occurs to me that it's unlikely the wiring would be there to charge the torch when the boot is closed.
  5. It's interesting that when I looked just a few weeks ago, the Skoda UK website showed 2000 Kamiq's in dealer stock and now there's 1174. Our local dealer had 35, now they've got 15. They were realy thin on the ground when we got ours last November as the previous version was running out then facelift was still months away. We needed the car quickly as a car in the family had been written off. Local dealer laughed at the suggestion of getting a car quickly, and another not too far away promised us a loan car if we waited for one they had coming in (a SEAT dealer had done that on an Ateca we bought in similar circumstances) but when we got to the dealership they said they couldn't provide the loan car for a couple of weeks, and everyone we spoke to at the dealership, especially the GM, seemed like cowboys. Got one in Wigan - worked out fine.
  6. Rory replied to pinkpanther's topic in Skoda Karoq
    What month / year is your Karoq? The boot re-locks by design even with the keys in - it's only the power opening boot that knows the key is there and re-opens it. It does follow the way it worked before keyless - VW must have decided that the greater risk is leaving the boot unlocked.
  7. That's the sort of price I've seen talked about for the 1.5TSi petrol, which is a much more complicated job. Having said that, there's a thread on the Ateca forum where a poster (in Derbyshire) has been quoted £495 by an indie and £640 by a SEAT dealer (for the 1.5TSi). So the diesel should be cheaper than that. Water pump on the diesel adds a bit though, as it's a switchable one.
  8. Same - mine has been looked at twice now. First time they did the greasing of bushes thing, which did seem to soften the noise a little. Last time they said the grease was still there. It's the randomness of it that is so frustrating - it does seem more obvious with more people in the car, but I've driven it a bit on my own lately and it'll be fine driving somewhere then rattle like mad coming home. There's on particular junction near home where you drive in to it at a reasonable speed off the main road and turn a bit tighter than 90 degrees while braking as there are usually parked cars in the side road and you might have to stop if there's a car coming the other way. I can do it once and it'll rattle insanely as if the car is going to fall apart, then repeat it and there's nothing at all.
  9. Interesting - I didn't know there was 116PS 2 litre diesel. How do that get the power ouput so low?! 😀 We had that engine (assuming it's EA288) in Tiguan DSG 4Motion with 150PS. It was fine, but I wouldn]t have wanted anything less powerful. Got rid of it at 8yrs old when could no longer renew the All In cover and the emissions stuff on the car terrified me - not just the AdBlue, but it has 3 cooling circuits and 2 coolant pumps. It used to regen a lot too - around every 200 miles - and we always ran it on Shell V Power which was eye-wateringly expensive (but only used a tank per month). The 1.5TSi Karoq we have now I'd say drives very similarly. Car is really my wife's and she does mainly semi-rural running around, few miles to shops and schools etc. I track the MPG and overall it's the same as Tiguan was at calculated 38MPG. Tiguan would just about touch 50MPG on a long run. Karoq will surpass that if put in Eco drive mode (usually use normal). Although the cambelt and water pump time change at 5yrs has officially been done away with it seems a lot of folks reckon it's still worth doing on the diesels but less vital on petrols.
  10. Doesn't seem very much. We had to wait 2hrs to collect daughter's Kamiq as the salesguy was off sick and no-one had arranged the car's PDI. Dealer refunded the cost of the service plan (£249).
  11. We had a Tiguan before and had a winter wheel and tyre set with 16" 65% profile tyres and it was like driving on a cloud! Karoq is bad enough - daughter's new SEL Kamiq is on 45% tyres on 18" wheels. Seems ridiculous for the sort of car it is.
  12. We switched from a diesel 4Motion Tigaun with DG381 wet clutch to Petrol 1.5 petrol with DQ200 dry clutch. They both work absolutly fine - I've never experienced the hesitation from rest that other people speak about although I will say we don't use auto hold or stop/start. You can catch it out if you're doing a rolling join to a roundabout etc - I find you just have to learn to trust it, let it sort the gears out (which can take a whole second) and not plant the accelerator. I have read that DSGs can vary even on the same car and engine. I accidently put super-unleaded in the Karoq and it became bonkers - couldn't turn out of a wet junction without spinning the front tyres.
  13. Just to close this out, all done this morning and works fine now Dealer service advisor was sure they were replacing the tube...err, there wasn't one! They''d also been adamant, when booking the car in for a waiting appt, that it would take an hour, even when I queried it being done that quickly. This morning they denied that and said it would be 2hrs. I got my wife to come with me and we went off shopping and came back 2hrs later and still had to wait 20 mins.
  14. Rory replied to Shivers's topic in Skoda Karoq
    What's the instrument cluster like in each car? We've got a 22 SE-L that must be one of the last before the facelift (facelift has a kink in the lower edge of the headlights) and we've got lovely and clear analogue twin dials. In the facelift they moved to an 8" (I think) LCD panel that I thought looked horrible (although we had a courtesy SE Karoq with it and my wife was quite happy as all she wants to see a big digital speed display). I believe they've just upgraded Karoq to the bigger (10"?) digital cockpit and that can be configured to look just like the old twin dial setup.
  15. Funnily enough with the warmer weather ours is noisy again. The strangulated kind of sound that was there in hot weather last year (but had gone by the time the dealr took the car in) isn't there. but the whirring noise is really quite noticeable. When it was in for service recently I did mention it but basically got a shrug when I picked it up (the focus was much more on finding the cause of the suspension knock, which it has to go bak - again - for). They gave me a new Scala DSG courtesy car and I could hear the compressor in that too. On 1.0 MPG - took daughter's 1 litre manual 2018 Ateca on 50 mile round trip to get the rear brakes replaced this week (after "Dad, it's making a scraping sound" at 6PM on Friday evening). Mostly it's 70MPG dual carriageway and was quite amazed to see 50MPG on the trip MPG. I thought the car drove drove amazingly well for the engine size - it did feel oddly flat up a long uphill slip road, but then I realised it was in 5th, not 3rd! The compressor packed up on that a year or so ago, but it was never noisy, and it isn't now. Felt colder than our car - I had to redirect one of the vents off my hand. I was surprised it was set to low a/c profile - but I think that just varies the fan speed in auto. I've seen suggestions it changes the strength of the a/c itself (so therefore the load on the compressor) but I couldn't tell any difference.
  16. Ours doesn't seem to have been too bad since it was in the garage, but had 4 adults in today and the knocking was insane! It was noticeable on a straight bumpy road, at slow sped but sounded more like it was coming from underneath the car. With the other two people dropped off and just wife and I it became more intermittant - I'm having so much trouble trying to reliably reproduce the noise - it seems to need just the right speed and possibly with the front reasonably loaded by braking as you turn, say into a fairly tight side road.
  17. I saw that mentioned somewhere the other day - have you noted it previously? As it's my wife's car, if I'm driving it she's usually in the car too. However I did use it yesterday on my own and, just as you said, I didn't hear the noise at all. I was wondering if the dealer had actually done something, or if it was due to the suddenly warmer weather. The warmer weather did highlight the a/c system noise again though, I guess as it was working a bit harder That really doesn't sound right at all (they've changed the compressor already but I'm not convinced that's the issue). Ah, it's mentioned in the other thread (linked at the top of this thread):
  18. Generally only use Normal in our early 22 1.5TSi Karoq and it coasts. Not only does it coast, but it seems to roll remarkably freely - it'll go considerable distances without slowing much. After it being selectable on our Tiguan I was bemused that it's not selectable in Kaorq - you're just stuck with it.
  19. Well, in America GM had so many complaints about rusty "rotors" (discs) they started fitting Ferretic Nitro-Carburizing (FNC) treated discs to all but the cheapest models. They last longer and look better.
  20. It will shut the fuel off - all cars have done that for years. The engine management system stops it from stalling when you depress the clutch.
  21. I don't follow that - why would you lift off if you didn't need to slow? Sure, you're sub-conciously constantly adjusting how much you're pressing the gas pedal, but not coming right off it unless you want to slow down. Is that with normal cruise on? There's a long steep dual carriageway hill near our house and our Karoq does not attempt to control itself unless cruise (also don't have ACC) is on. Have to be careful because the dual carriageway ends at the botton of the hill so the speed limit changes to 60 and it's a favouite spot for a camera van to hang out! Even with cruise on it's not that good at holding the speed on the hill - our old diesel Tiguan was spot-on.
  22. You're right, it does use fuel in coasting to keep the engine running but tickover uses miniscule amounts of fuel so I presume on balance someone has decided that coasting does saves fuel. I have to say I don't really like it - it does feel at times like the car is running away with itself. We used to have a diesel Tiguan and it was selectable on that but I never used it. I had a loan ID.3 for a few days and I loved the one-pedal driving - rarely had to touch the brakes. Against that, if you don't use the brakes they just go rusty! We used to have ex-police defensive driver trainers at work and they were very much (in manual cars) "gears to go, brakes to slow" drivers - they would pull you up if you used engine braking to slow the car. Wonder how smart alternators cope with this - they charge more when lifting off. Tiguan had that system and I assume Karoq does (most "modern" cars do). Maybe that's why the engine stays at idle rather than shutting off?
  23. Our car was in for service today and I'd asked them to take another look at the knocking / chattering noise on low speed corners. It seems to do it all the time when we drive it so it seems completely obvious to me, but once again the dealer said they couldn't find it. A young service advisor came out with us and heard the noise (but it wasn't as obvious or repeatable as it usually is) and he did seem genuinely dismayed that they hadn't picked it up. He took their "most senior technician" out with him, then put the car on a lift but couldn't determine the fault. I said I thought top mount bearings were a common issue but they dismissed that. They seem to be focussed on lower arms / drop links (at first they said CV joints). I don't know, but it strikes me as unlikely that they would knock on a car with 4K miles (it's done 8K but they're same as when we picked the car up) and that whatever was making them knock wouldn't be apparent upon examination. They offered to have the car back but it's always a faff to get it off my wife for a day or two. I need to try harder to find the circumstances where you can reliably hear it - turning the tight right off the main road into our road it always does it with mutiple knocks, and turning into our drive. But I couldn't easily replicate it with the dealer. I mentioned earlier in the thread that in multi-storey car parks it basically does it the whole time while cornering for the ramps. I'm wondering now if it's doing it all the time but once above 20MPH or so then road noise drowns it out?
  24. Picked the car up and there wasn't really much discussion - they were adamant a variable service had been done before so they just did an oil service this time. They did change the brake fluid FOC, and they also rotated the wheels which I'd mentioned as I expected the service to like a "wheels off" major service (although I don't believe the dealers do normally remove the wheels, I've used that on other VW Group cars to get the wheels rotated). They didn't charge for doing that either. Weirdly they did try and charge for the courtesy car insurance even though they'd taken a copy of my insurance cert. I suppose most "normal" owners don't know / care, but there's nothing other than the dealers own record that shows what was done on the first service and it now looks like it's had the wrong level of service this time. I bet if I'd been a paying customer they'd have absolutely insisted the car need the extended scope 2nd service. There was also a continuing palava over a chatter / knock from the front suspension but I'll continue that in a thread that already running. Todays investigation resulted in us driving off with the young lads phone in the car, which startled us when it rang!
  25. I know I should learn my lesson, as we have SEAT, VW and now (two) Skoda's in the family, but why is VW Group servicing always such a battle? Took the Karoq in today. It's just over 2yrs old. Done 8500 miles (total). It's not asking for a service as it's set on variable, but the dealer we bought if from last summer said it would need servicing around now as they serviced it last June just before we bought it. It needs doing annually according to the used car service and warranty package. I called to book it and they denied it needed service, but booked it in anyway. I then got several emails from the dealer reminding me to book it in! Today they said it would just be an oil service. I said, hang on, it's the car's second service, shouldn't it have an extended inspection and pollen filter change? No they said, it had all that last time. Really, on its first service at 3K miles you changed the pollen filter? I've got some kind of print out of the service and it says "oil change service". At that a young lad who seemed to have some authority got involved and printed out their internal record and that says the car had a first variable service, which did include inspecton and pollen filter. Seems odd that the dealer did that, but it makes sense, however it's different to service record I was given. It also means the work at the annual services going forward and going to be out of sync with the schedule. I was also asked about having the brake fluid changed. Annoys the heck out of that it's a service item but not included in the service packages. When did the first change become required at 2yrs. "It's always been at 2yrs, sir". I know it hasn't, it only changed recently to bring it into line with EV servicing. I declined it, and the a/c service (the compressor was replaced a few mths ago - but is still audible). Over £200 to have both done, more than it used to cost to have your car serviced!

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.