Touring in a VRS : anyone done it?

Had the suggestion from the OH that if i get a fabia then it would be good to take a weeks holiday and take it around europe camping, up to hull then over the week down to france via places then back over to the chunnel and back to sunny north west.

so the question is, has anyone done similar? how has the car coped with it, and with the potential for good MPG could be a good trip.

and also space in the car, is the boot larger than it initially looks to put stuff camping stuff in?

just wondring you see!

cheers

Not exactly a tour - but we drove 4 up and boot full to Disneyland Paris in less than a day in mine for a long weekend! And I got over double the mpg the in-laws were getting following in their CRV!

We've also driven to Chamonix and back in 1.6 Clio Si over the course of a 10 day trip 3 up - which isn't exactly roomy - without problems. Got just over 40 mpg out of that which I thought was quite good too.

I say go for it!

21587.attach

There's a guy on here that went on a Czech Skoda road trip, forgot his name, I think it's Neil :confused:

Anyway he's been pretty far in his Fabia, I'm guessing he'd have a thing or two to say about long trips in the Fabia ;)

IMO though with driving a max of about 7 hours I noticed my lower back starting to really ache because of the lack of lumber support in the vRS seats :thumbdwn:

As we've found now we have a baby, that the boot space can be expanded quite considerably by using a dog guard and then filling the boot up to near the roof. We're thinking a roof box might be necessary when we go on holiday, but we'll see how we get on stacking stuff next to the little 'un (have to be careful there, though!)

As far as lack of support on the front seats goes, I've driven Manchester-Edinburgh, stopped only for a drop-off / pick-up and then driven straight back twice in the Fabia. Not hanging around (3 3/4 hours each way), the return trip used a whole tank, but I had no probs with my back. I think I first got the idea from the Autocar long-term test final report, but I find the seats are most comfortable set higher than you might expect, and with the back fairly upright :thumbup:

As we've found now we have a baby, that the boot space can be expanded quite considerably by using a dog guard and then filling the boot up to near the roof. We're thinking a roof box might be necessary when we go on holiday, but we'll see how we get on stacking stuff next to the little 'un (have to be careful there, though!)

As far as lack of support on the front seats goes, I've driven Manchester-Edinburgh, stopped only for a drop-off / pick-up and then driven straight back twice in the Fabia. Not hanging around (3 3/4 hours each way), the return trip used a whole tank, but I had no probs with my back. I think I first got the idea from the Autocar long-term test final report, but I find the seats are most comfortable set higher than you might expect, and with the back fairly upright :thumbup:

yeah you're most likely right, it's probably the way I have the chair set :rofl:

We did a 2500 mile trip down to Chamonix last summer then down to the mediateranean coast and back over 14 days. Averaged around 48mpg with 2 people and a car full of kit cruising at around 85 mph. The furb performed faultlessly.

The motorways do get a bit tedious after a few hundred miles so try and include some cross country driving- much more interesting, quiet roads and lovely scenery. Some of the Alpine passes are certainly worth visiting :)

We did a 2500 mile trip down to Chamonix last summer then down to the mediateranean coast and back over 14 days. Averaged around 48mpg with 2 people and a car full of kit cruising at around 85 mph. The furb performed faultlessly.

The motorways do get a bit tedious after a few hundred miles so try and include some cross country driving- much more interesting, quiet roads and lovely scenery. Some of the Alpine passes are certainly worth visiting :)

Wow that sounds amazing, would love to do something like that! Any pointers, tips for starters? :D

We went down to France in ours Last Year and it performed excellently, then also a weeks Camping in the UK late last year, there is plenty of room for me and the GF with all our stuff.

We are off to Italy in it later this year which will be a 2week trip, I anticipate it to have enough room but we may need to use the back seats.... I guess thats going to be circa 3-4k miles!!

and also space in the car, is the boot larger than it initially looks to put stuff camping stuff in?

Not really, no! It is quite deep but ultimately small. I'd suggest a roof box if you have loads of camping gear, but then that knackers motorway fuel economy!

I did it in March 08', me and 2 mates drove to Switzerland, it was 700 miles each way, and was awesome! I had the trusty roof box on and we cruised at about 80-85mph, I got about 40-42mpg not bad considering we were fully loaded! I've got cruise control fitted now, but didn't at the time, it wasn't a major problem, I've got a dvd player in mine, so we were watching films most of the way!!!

21595.attach

Wow that sounds amazing, would love to do something like that! Any pointers, tips for starters? :D

A few friends and myself have done the Alps twice on the bikes too. 1st time we stook them in a van and drove there in order not to kill a set of tyres on the way. A lot of excellent roads either on a bike or in a car. So easy to get into Italy and Switzerland too. Can get cheap ferries to France thru Speedferries.

The second time we did the Pyrenees (without the van) on the way there. More expensive as it was an overnight ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao... but you get to Bilbao turn left, head for the hills... get off at the south of France, follow the coast for Nice and Montpellier then Monaco and head north-east-ish a bit towards Chamonix. Plenty of camp sites that we just fell upon. Our use the cheap Formule 1 hotels that litter France.

Then cane it back along the A road so you don't miss the ferry home from Calais... well, that was us anyway!

I can't recommend it enough! The only problem we've had is that a lot of the self service fuel stations don't take UK cards. Oh, and none of our cards worked to let us through the Mont Blanc tunnel either... queue: 3 bikes being ridden steadily over the top, in october, brr... picture 4 if you're interested!

Maybe slightly off topic, but hey ho... its nice to share!

21596.attach

21597.attach

21598.attach

21599.attach

A few friends and myself have done the Alps twice on the bikes too. 1st time we stook them in a van and drove there in order not to kill a set of tyres on the way. A lot of excellent roads either on a bike or in a car. So easy to get into Italy and Switzerland too. Can get cheap ferries to France thru Speedferries.

The second time we did the Pyrenees (without the van) on the way there. More expensive as it was an overnight ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao... but you get to Bilbao turn left, head for the hills... get off at the south of France, follow the coast for Nice and Montpellier then Monaco and head north-east-ish a bit towards Chamonix. Plenty of camp sites that we just fell upon. Our use the cheap Formule 1 hotels that litter France.

Then cane it back along the A road so you don't miss the ferry home from Calais... well, that was us anyway!

I can't recommend it enough! The only problem we've had is that a lot of the self service fuel stations don't take UK cards. Oh, and none of our cards worked to let us through the Mont Blanc tunnel either... queue: 3 bikes being ridden steadily over the top, in october, brr... picture 4 if you're interested!

Maybe slightly off topic, but hey ho... its nice to share!

Ha! Brilliant my good man! Thanks very much for your experiance and tips, will get the lads together and see if they fancy this! 2 cars and some walkie-talkies :D:rofl:

I drive annually to Switzerland - 12 hour trip non stop (except lunch, fuels), good tunes + great scenery. :)

Car copes fine.

As said - cruises at 100+ and will return 35mpg+ easily.

Space is a problem ar times -takes miltary organisation at times.

Only thing I find is that as Im well over 6' the lack of lumbar support makes the little car uncomfy.

Rolled up sweater or towel sorts this.

I've done a couple of fairly long distance drives into europe in the vrs

1st was Eurotunnel to Hannover and back via Antwerp. About 500miles each way.

2nd was Eurotunnel to Courmayeur (other side of Mt Blanc tunnel) and back for skiing. About 580miles each way.

Car performed faultlessly. I personally find it very comfortable and was able to get all the way to Courmayeur with only a few stops - roads were very clear so was able to cruse at 130kph for hrs - infact i think only 2 people pulled out in front of us on the way down!

Mpg does suffer at the higher crusing speeds in europe (germany) - only 45ish mpg but then where else do you legally get to push the car to 134mph.....

Hello,

I'm a brand new member on this forum

Thank you for all fotos and stories

I'm French from Lille (north of France), here are some fotos of several trips with my Furby TDI100 (not Vrs I know)

Corse 2007

fabrocgx3.jpg

fabrondiif4.jpg

95477849520070715235347.jpg

• 3500 Kms in 8 days
  • on the island, my average
  • consumption was 4.3L/100

2nd trip to Vias (South of France) luggage for 4 guys

18082007xv9.jpg

Conclusion of all those trips, the fabia with TDI is a great touring car, a little short to travel with 4 persons.

Hi All

I too have done a couple of long trip's. One down to the French alps, the middle of last summer for the mountain biking not long after I bought the car. Had it fairly packed up with 2 downhill bikes and and all our kit packed in the back with seat's down. Got really good MPG even fully loaded and a little play on the road's upto the resort where we stayed :D. The cost of fuel is/was a little cheaper too. I found the french road tend to be in better condition than ours! a lot smoother. Didn't have curise control, but maybe wish i did for the long motorway bits, just had a big selection of cd's to pass the time.

Haven't got any photo's of the car on hol, just a the pic through the screen as the sun came up as we got to the Alp's passing by Geneva. The other you might notice is the amount of fly splat's you get traveling in the summer, even at night!

On the way back had a 9-10odd hrs trouble free run back through france :thumbup: but within 10-15mins back on english roads, had some C@*T cut me up:mad:

The other, was a 9hr trip upto Fort william for the MTB world champ's. No bikes this time just 3 of us and a bit of luggage. Passengers didn't complain so I guess they were ok

even with slightly firmer seats in the Vrs.

21609.attach

....will get the lads together and see if they fancy this! 2 cars and some walkie-talkies :D:rofl:

We've tried the walkie talkie thing too. I'd recommended getting some decent ones... we were tight and got some cheap ones and they only work with line of sight and not much distance between you. I know if something happened you'd just use your mobile... but I'd have to be really worried about my mates before I spent a fortune on roaming charges! :D

...And remember where you parked it :)

Brilliant pic! Now who still wants a white vRS?