Seat belt warning chimes

Taxi drivers are only exempt when they have a fare, just as police officers are when transporting prisoners.

Hackney carriage drivers are totally exempt from wearing in there licensing district where as Private Hire drivers are only exempt when passengers are on board and must wear belts when empty regardless of which district they are in.

mine didnt seem to stop at all, atleast not within the first 15mins, so i just pulled the plug out from under the seat, ahhh silence is golden!!

much easier than going to a dealer.

I looked for that too but obviously i wasn,t looking hard enough:rofl:

I looked for that too but obviously i wasn,t looking hard enough:rofl:

its clipped to the underneath of the seat a plug with 2 wires going to it, slide the drivers seat back and look to the far corner towards the seat belt catch, not the big plug by right hand side as thats for the airbag!

mine didnt seem to stop at all, atleast not within the first 15mins, so i just pulled the plug out from under the seat, ahhh silence is golden!!

much easier than going to a dealer.

Did same on mine, the plug is out now and all silent. No warnings, no faults, no problems at all.

Golden silence:D

• 11 months later...

This was just the thread I was looking for as I to am a taxi driver thanks guys will have a look for this wire

Slide the seat all the way back and up and look for a black plastic cover next to the seat rail that's closest to the door, and just pry it out with your fingers or a coin. In there, the yellow connector is the airbag, and you can inspect that for corrosion, but don't unplug it or an error will pop up on the dash.

The black plug is the belt, you need a thin blade screwdriver or any similar contraption to slide in and wedge pulling it's tip away from the plug, and the said plug should come right out.

Taken from a useful website octavia-vrs.com, loads of other stuff you can do ;)

Controller 17 - Instruments

Disable the Seatbelt Chime

By default the Seatbelt Chime is enabled on UK cars however it is possible to disable this annoying feature.

Note the existing coding in the format XXXXXXX

Subtract 2 from the number in the position indicated by ? - XXX?XXX (EG - If you had 0007401 with the chime enabled it would be 0005401 with it disabled.)

Choose Do It and then close the controller.

...................... absolute doddle to do with VCDS :thumbup:

Has anyone got the code for the VAG Com?

I've turned it off on a car using VAG-Com, so I'll try and find where I wrote it down.

FWIW the person suggestinng cutting the wire, I'd be careful as if you cut the wrong wires you'll be needing new airbags in the seat.

EDIT: Looks like Steve beat me to it.

Exempt or not you should always have your seat belt on. Im a paramedic and Ive seen so many dead and seriously injured taxi drivers over the years because they didnt have their seat belt on. You have more chance of being involved in an accident than being attacked Im sure. thats my opinion anyway.

Dealer forgot to turn off the chimes on my car before collection, they do it for all taxis purchased, so i dropped in one day and a technician (mechanic) came out with the vag com, I assume, plugged it in and got rid of the chimes. Took all of three minutes if that.

If your dealer says he's too busy to spare three mins to help you, well, we all know what they're like.

Would recommend you get this done rather than cutting wires or un-pluggimg things but leave that up to you.

I just put my hand under the seats next to the seat belt catch followed the wire to the connector and pulled it apart no more noise, its about 4 inches away from the belt catch on both seats

It can be done! Using a VAG-COM. Go to Module control Select instruments (17). Then go to Coding. The orignal code is something like 0003103 change the 4th digit (000*103) subtract 2 so you would have a value of 0001103. So subtract 2 from the orignal figure. That will turn of the seatbelt working. I did it on my MKV Gti..

P.S write down the orginal figure before you change it in case you have any problems!

JC

Question for you, please!

If you disable the chime using VAGCOM as described above, does this also disable the seat belt warning light on the dash, or does that still come on whenever the drivers belt is not fastened?

I'm not a taxi driver, but would gladly disable the chimes -- but I do want the light left on!

Mike

Yes it does, the seatbelt wiring is a simple 2 wire on/off 'switch', when the belt is undone the circuit is complete hence the light and chimes come on, when the seatbelt buckle is done up it breaks the circuit turning everything off (the same as undoing the plug under the seat)