Price of Diesel.

mannyo

I know we keep going on about it, but how much higher can it realistically go before the economy can take no more.

I dont really fill up that much, once every 1.5 weeks or so. I cannot believe how much the price is changing, it must go up daily. This morning, for the first time ever, I put £61 worth of the stuff into the octy. Thats nearly £20 more than cost me to fill it up when I bought it.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked this a while back and the majority response I got is "I'll pay whatever I have to as I need my car". With this in mind and considering how much of the UK economy is service based, something will have to give as people spend more and more of what was disposable income on their necessities like food and fuel.

Retail and leisure spending to fall off a cliff?

Also the price of petrol and goods/services is normally a lagging indicator of the price of crude oil. I don't think the big price increases have fed through yet.

When I bought the vRS I was really pleased to fill up for about £30, now I'm spending at least £42 - £45 to fill the car up, at the time of buying the car diesel was cheaper than unleaded and it was something like 95.9 a litre now I'm paying about 119.9.

On the plus side it is still cheaper in the long wrong compared to my petrol car I had before but I can see in the summer that the prices will rocket.

I'll still pay whatever it takes (What choice do I have? Public transport is a. no use to me for getting to work, and b. even if I could spare the extra three hours it would add onto my day, it'd still be a lot more expensive than my current commuting costs since the trains are diesel so their price will increase too).

The extra fuel costs work out at the equivalent of an extra grand a year out of my wages, so as Daiking's suggested, the family holiday's going to have to be reined-in this year...

Retail and leisure spending to fall off a cliff?

People have to cut back to pay the extra money for fuel. My small business in in the Leisure/retail sector and takings are down 35%, and were the ones doing well in our town.

I'm paying at least a pound extra each time I fill up , sometimes more.

One garage by me has gone up 6p in a fortnight.

It's getting to the point now where I am definitely driving slower to save fuel and will think very carefully about days out.

As an example , I'm considering going to Thruxton to watch the BTCC but that's a 240 mile round trip - Thirty quids worth of fuel compared to the twenty last year.

That's enough of a difference to make me reconsider - not just because of that tenner , but because the money I'm spending on fuel for all journeys is so high. I do about 28000 miles a year so this is an extra thousand pounds that I'm having to pay in fuel.

How long before I need to make bigger changes?

At £1.60 a litre I'll have no choice

I'm paying at least a pound extra each time I fill up , sometimes more.

One garage by me has gone up 6p in a fortnight.

It's getting to the point now where I am definitely driving slower to save fuel and will think very carefully about days out.

As an example , I'm considering going to Thruxton to watch the BTCC but that's a 240 mile round trip - Thirty quids worth of fuel compared to the twenty last year.

That's enough of a difference to make me reconsider - not just because of that tenner , but because the money I'm spending on fuel for all journeys is so high. I do about 28000 miles a year so this is an extra thousand pounds that I'm having to pay in fuel.

How long before I need to make bigger changes?

At £1.60 a litre I'll have no choice

I quite agree with you, we had an invite to go to the golf up north but when I weighed up the cost of the fuel it wasn't worth the money for the round trip, shame really, it's now £121.9 per litre for Diesel at the Shell in favesham.

My vRS is not too bad on the fuel, but my wife has a 1.8 petrol and it's coming to the point of me having to leave work earlier and pick her up so we only need to run 1 car for a few weeks.

I do over 20k per year so the fuel bills are adding up.

Brown says he feels everybody's pain......I'd like to give him some real pain :mad:

I totally agree with you.

I think since the start of the year fuel has gone up 2p per week and with derv now hitting £1.21 a litre at most stations here it hurts lots.

I'm getting to the point where it is costing the first 2 hours of every day to pay for the fuel to get to work and back.

If it goes up there are plenty of people who will be better off not working rather than driving.

I'm getting to the point where it is costing the first 2 hours of every day to pay for the fuel to get to work and back.

Bloody hell! You either get atrocious mileage, drive a massive distance, or don't get paid all that much! My commute is paid off by the time I've switched my PC on, been for my morning sh.., and drunk my coffee!

The other thing, its not just the UK suffering. I was watching the TVE news (Spanish TV) on sky last night. They had a lengthy item on the cost of fuel in spain, complete with graphs, so they are also extremely concerned over there.

I px'd my Octy vRS cos the fuel was getting a bit pricey at 25mpg :eek: and I changed jobs from a 5 mile daily trip to 50. I got a Passat diesel 170 (same as Octy Vrs diesel) and I was happy with 37mpg (still a bit heavy on the loud pedal :D )

Now with diesel rocketing I have eased way back to make sure I get 42+ on the commute, and I did 360 miles Liverpool and back at average 60mph to get 53mpg. Boring as hell, but almost a necessity these days. I did notice that a lot more people had slowed down as well.

It won't be long before they can rip up all the speed cameras and save money, cos no-one will be able to afford to go fast anymore anyway :rofl:

costing me £20 a week more for deisel tahn it did when I started this job 6 months ago (120ml round trip commute). Love teh job but seriously considering if I should look for something closer to home.

used to alway try to support my local filling station but as price diffence is now 6p/lt I can save £3 on a tankful if I am in Edinburgh.

local DERV is 124.9 and I pass one station selling at 128.9, Edinburgh is 118.9 (or was when I started to write this email......god knows what it is now!!!)

and we only do about 4 to the gallon

That seems very good to me. :) Is that the 3 car local service trains? Given the number of people who could fit into a train of that size (I'm guessing about 300? 100 in each car?), unless train running costs aside from fuel are prohibitively expensive, I would have thought that train travel might be the way forwards?

Back on topic, it cost me £56 to fill the Octy the other day and prices are going up by the day virtually around here too. Question I have is all this demand, is it primarily for diesel? In which case, would a moderately economical (35mpg ish say) petrol car be a sensible purchase over a diesel that does 45mpg if the gap between diesel and petrol prices will continue to grow?

With roughly 10% higher cost for diesel now almost everywhere, if your diesel does 45 mpg then a petrol car doing 40mpg would cost about the same fuel wise.

With roughly 10% higher cost for diesel now almost everywhere, if your diesel does 45 mpg then a petrol car doing 40mpg would cost about the same fuel wise.

My 1.6l / 110bhp Megane Coupe routinely did 38mpg - extra horsepower aside, that's almost on a par with my Furby now on terms of miles per £. And while the Megane was no rocketship, it was hardly slow (helped by being able to hit 60 in 2nd, I think! ;) )

Question I have is all this demand, is it primarily for diesel? In which case, would a moderately economical (35mpg ish say) petrol car be a sensible purchase over a diesel that does 45mpg if the gap between diesel and petrol prices will continue to grow?

The gap between petrol and diesel is growing - it was about 1p 3 years ago then crept up to about 4p. Now it's anywhere between 12 and 18p at my local garage which is eating into the fuel saving by quite a large amount.

Cheapest to run will be something like an Aygo that will still do well over 50mpg on petrol.

If I didn't have a restriction on me for work that I need a car of a certain size I'd not be in my octavia any more.

I must see if I can dig out an old thread from a couple of years back where I worked out fuel savings between petrol and diesel based on an average price of about £1.15 a litre and someone told me I was using far too high a price......

My 1.6l / 110bhp Megane Coupe routinely did 38mpg - extra horsepower aside, that's almost on a par with my Furby now on terms of miles per £. And while the Megane was no rocketship, it was hardly slow (helped by being able to hit 60 in 2nd, I think! ;) )

I've average 34.5mpg over 22k miles in my 1.6 petrol. A 1.9 tdi Octy probably would have given me similar overall running costs even if it felt cheaper due to filling up less often.

So, I've gone to the trouble of spending £50 on an air filter - would pay for itself in year if I gained about 3% in efficiency - an extra 1mpg!