The Times reviews the new Skoda Superb

Yep, but it is a 1.4 with both a supercharger and turbo. In standard form you get 136bhp and 163 lb/ft of torque. Shouldn't be too bad, as it's not to far off the 2.0TDI.

Personally, I reckon the 2.0TDI 170 will be the one to go for.

Bagpuss.

Yep, but it is a 1.4 with both a supercharger and turbo. In standard form you get 136bhp and 163 lb/ft of torque. Shouldn't be too bad, as it's not to far off the 2.0TDI.

Personally, I reckon the 2.0TDI 170 will be the one to go for.

Bagpuss.

Sorry to call you out... Yet in the spirit of not passing misinformation. The SuperbII gets the 125hp version sans supercharger... Still as "skorob2007" performance is admirable!

• 2 months later...

and low car tax too!! i know the old saying you get what you pay for...but £15k roughly for the superb estate and add a few optional extra's, one wouldnt be able to tell the difference from top of the range and pay something like £13 k more ...id sooner shell out a few quid and make the car look like the top of the range, rather than shell out hard earned money.

I'll go on record now stating Skoda will have lots of trouble with a 1.4 engine in a model as big as a Superb, I see turbo,supercharger and ring and crank trouble ahead, as an old mechanic once said to me...an engine only has so many revolutions in it, and a 4 pot 1.4 in a car that any other country would have a V6 in is just asking for trouble.

I'll go on record now stating Skoda will have lots of trouble with a 1.4 engine in a model as big as a Superb, I see turbo,supercharger and ring and crank trouble ahead, as an old mechanic once said to me...an engine only has so many revolutions in it, and a 4 pot 1.4 in a car that any other country would have a V6 in is just asking for trouble.

No supercharger I'm afraid, as it's the 125bhp version, and not the 140bhp engine that's in the Golf GT.

I don't really see why it should any less reliable. I've driven a Revo'd Golf GT (the one with the Supercharger) and that's done 25,000 miles with no problems at all. More to the point, it's putting out just over 200bhp as well :D

One of my colleagues has done over 60,000 miles in his Golf GT, and not had a single issue.

If Skoda had put the dual-charged engine in the Superb, I would have got one, and then Revo'd it. Cheap, and powerful. Sadly, it's not to be.

Bagpuss.

any reason why you never went for the 1.8 and revo'd that?

that aside I'll possibly be going for the 170 DSG myself

I would need the mod to be switchable, and right now, the SPS thing doesn't work on the 1.8. They are working on it, but I wasn't taking any chances.

As it is, I'll be happy with the 170 TDI. Would have loved the DSG, but just couldn't afford it.

Bagpuss.

No supercharger I'm afraid, as it's the 125bhp version, and not the 140bhp engine that's in the Golf GT.

I don't really see why it should any less reliable. I've driven a Revo'd Golf GT (the one with the Supercharger) and that's done 25,000 miles with no problems at all. More to the point, it's putting out just over 200bhp as well :D

One of my colleagues has done over 60,000 miles in his Golf GT, and not had a single issue.

If Skoda had put the dual-charged engine in the Superb, I would have got one, and then Revo'd it. Cheap, and powerful. Sadly, it's not to be.

Bagpuss.

Golf is half the size of the Superb, also a Golf has a hatch for handbags where the Superb will be laiden a lot of the time, I could be wrong, but having seen what a **** the VX 1.8 VVT is, I think this engine is going to struggle to cope after about 50k on it, it was the same opinion on the 2.0 Omega, all the mechanics were saying it's too small for the body and type of use it will get, time will tell, but if I do get another Superb it won't be that one.

Golf is half the size of the Superb, also a Golf has a hatch for handbags where the Superb will be laiden a lot of the time, I could be wrong, but having seen what a **** the VX 1.8 VVT is, I think this engine is going to struggle to cope after about 50k on it, it was the same opinion on the 2.0 Omega, all the mechanics were saying it's too small for the body and type of use it will get, time will tell, but if I do get another Superb it won't be that one.

Good point. The main reason I would consider it is because I'm a company car driver. If it did turn out to be unreliable, I wouldn't be too worried about the maintenance issues.

Bagpuss.

I would need the mod to be switchable, and right now, the SPS thing doesn't work on the 1.8. They are working on it, but I wasn't taking any chances.

As it is, I'll be happy with the 170 TDI. Would have loved the DSG, but just couldn't afford it.

Bagpuss.

SPS is something they'll have shortly if not CC or APS will have a solution for that as well!!!:P

well i'm sure that skoda and the engines they will be using in the new superb from the 1.4 right up to the 3.6 have all been tried and tested units...and i suppose every customer that walks into a skoda dealership has that certain model and engine size in his or her head...with performance ....economy and reliability all top of the list, according to the spec and vehicles offered.

think it would be daft having a top of the range 3.6 just commuting in town, and using a 1.4 to do high sped long distance work lol

Good review, although they say it is not as good as the Ford Mondeo, mind you I hate the look of the Ford Mondeo and even the weird rear of the skoda is starting to grow on me.

Like the online magazine idea will check that out - never mind the environment it is a good in the way it haas the videos inside the magazine!

:thumbup:

Also - just noticed the fuel economy for the 138bhp diesel is quoted at 41mpg? Is that right? I thought the human race was supposed to progress forwards not backwards... My 1.9 has never averaged less than 45mpg even when going around towns for the best part of a tank.. usually i get 47-48mpg average - whats going on!