ANOTHER tyre question

hi all

need new tyres all round on my vrs, are the "michelin pilot exalto PE2" as good as ive heard or should i go with pirelli p zeros? also where is a good place to buy price wise? kwik fit are doing both sets for roughly £100 a tyre, cheers in advance:thumbup:

firstly, dont go to kwick fit or places like that as they rip you off

find a local indepedent or get them online and fitted at a backstreet garage, works out much cheaper

I dont like michelins I find them noisy and they crack easily

Currently have Federal 595s on the rear of the furby and hate them with a passion but have Vredestein SporTrac3s on the front and love them :D

Also have Vredesteins on the rear of the tolly and will swap the current front Michelins to Vredesteins when they wear out

Most people on here think Eagle F1s or Proxes T1-Rs are best, but I'm quite liking the the P-Zero Neros I've got on now (there are several types of P-Zero ;) ) They took a while to bed in, though, and made the car feel very twitchy until my (worn-out) suspension bushes were replaced. As I've mentioned many times now, my personal opinion is that the Proxes T1-Rs I had on before felt quite stodgy by comparison, which was quite possibly down to the well-known issue with their flimsy sidewalls. If you get some, make sure you put in a few extra psi, or they'll have a reverse Bobby Charlton in no time... :thumbup:

Currently have Federal 595s on the rear of the furby and hate them with a passion but have Vredestein SporTrac3s on the front and love them :D

Also have Vredesteins on the rear of the tolly and will swap the current front Michelins to Vredesteins when they wear out

I had a set of federal 595's on my fiat on the front, and they fell apart... had to remove before they wore down, as the vibration and noise was worrying me, and the tyre place said they were shot and probably oval, could have gone 'pop' at anytime... never again.. (but my size is rare and the only tyre my local place has in my size in stock is the federal, and I got a puncture and no spare :( )

my favorite tyre is the bridgestone potenza... expensive though...

to OP: I have run pirelli p'nero's with no probs, I liked them :thumbup:

Thats me running proxies all round and they seem to be pretty good. Im running 215/40/16's though, they seem to grip better with them being slightly wider. Paid £60 a corner, fitted and balanced.

:+1:

I have Michelins and they last ages, never had a set crack???? they seem to last far longer than most, and they work in the wet, which in England is pretty much the norm, Had F1's not impressed found noisy and lacking in grip for everyday use, I feel the michelins get knocked cos they are the most expensive, but I have found them to be spot on, with a few different cars now, but must add the Vredestein, are very good mid range priced tyre, had these on my type r and always woudl give good even grip right on the limit. not the easiest tyre to find thats why I went back to michelins

well ive still got my original tyres on the back but just had some cheapo ones put on the front when i used it as a taxi,

the rear ones are still ok tread wise but a bubble has formed on the wall of the passenger side rear. so thought may aswell get new all round

my main gripe is the performance in wet and how every tyre ive had on the front had just not performed well in the wet

i had to buy teo new rear tyres this week and opted for Goodyear f1 GSD3 to match the existing fronts. I'm not sure whether its placebo effect but the car seems to handle the roundabouts of milton keynes much better, especially at speed. Seems to give much more confidence.

The old tyres were Bridgestone Turanza ER300.

Matt

well ive still got my original tyres on the back but just had some cheapo ones put on the front when i used it as a taxi,

the rear ones are still ok tread wise but a bubble has formed on the wall of the passenger side rear. so thought may aswell get new all round

my main gripe is the performance in wet and how every tyre ive had on the front had just not performed well in the wet

I have found the Vredesteins much better than the Michelins or Federals that were on or I have used in the past. The problem really is FWD with that much torque is just bound to have a problem getting traction. Seems only really the Megane R26 and Leon Cupra (mk2) can successfully deploy their power without wheel spin or hop

For what's its worth I have just had two Nexen N3000's fitted from Blackcircles.com, all in £108. So far these tyres seem to outdo everything else I've tried in the past, including Pirellis and the peoples favourite (although I cannot understand why) the Proxes. I had 4 Proxes on last my car and I thought they didn't even come close to matching their reputation. Why?.....I never had much confidence in the rain, three of them cracked pretty badly after 18 months, and they were worn after about 10000 miles. The tyres I replaced for the Nexens were ContiSport II's, and they did me for over 3 years, I thought they were great, but others on here will disagree. Dont get me wrong, the Proxes are competant tyres and all that, just overrated, as are the Pirelli's. SO far I'm well impressed with the Nexen's, and if they continue to perform the way they are, they'll probably be my tyre of choice in the future.

Toyo T1-R are good had them on the fabia for 30k (mostly motorway mileage and a few track days). Falkens on at the moment 20k on them and tread wear seems fairly low, grib well too.

I am sorry to hijack this thread but there seems to be quite a few tyre threads on at the moment.

I have conti 2's on and I really don't like them. The fronts are nearly on the indicators and I want to change tyre brand.

The rears have loads of tread left so is there any harm in popping on two new different makes of tyres on the front?

I am sorry to hijack this thread but there seems to be quite a few tyre threads on at the moment.

I have conti 2's on and I really don't like them. The fronts are nearly on the indicators and I want to change tyre brand.

The rears have loads of tread left so is there any harm in popping on two new different makes of tyres on the front?

In theory, no, but as it looks like you car might be running a bit more power than standard, you would want to make sure the grippiest tyres are on the back to stop your car swapping ends in the corners. The grip on the Contis is reputed to be pretty poor, so if I were you, I'd put them on the front, and put the new ones on the back (which is what you should do anyway, really). Of course, you've said you don't like the Contis, though, so a full set might be the only option. Shop around, however; there are doubtless bargains to be had if you can be prepared to put in the legwork... :)

I'm convinced I must have got a rogue set of Conti's then, as mine gripped for dear life and I found them to be more than adequate for the car. I only changed my front two recently to Nexen 3000's as I have always liked to try different brands, but for me the Conti II's are up there with all the best I have had in the past. As for your question about different brands front and back, it shouldn't matter, just dont do it on the same axle.....apparantly.