Hail Storm Causes

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 cars at my local dealer too -:eek:

I hope mine wasn't one of them; I was only talking to my dealer yesterday and he didn't mention any problems.

Commiserations to those that are affected though.:)

I hope mine wasn't one of them; I was only talking to my dealer yesterday and he didn't mention any problems.

Commiserations to those that are affected though.:)

what you getting bahnstormer?

Roomster Scout - built week 23 (Mon 23rd June); dealer said they are expecting it end of next week. Hope that's still true.

nice, scouts are made for hail storms so maybe its ok! Hope its an extra, not getting rid of the vrs are you :eek:

nice, scouts are made for hail storms so maybe its ok! Hope its an extra, not getting rid of the vrs are you :eek:

An extra. I need to replace my wife's FIAT Doblo for something similar but Auto; hence getting a Roomster 1.6 Tiptronic.

I'm also in the process of buying my ex-Company car for my son, who needs a first car. This is an '02 Fabia 1.4mpi that although it has 78,000 miles on the clock, I know it has been well looked after. :D:thumbup:

So by the end of the month we'll have three Skodas in the family; phew. :);)

Been informed this afternoon, mine has been written off before i even saw her :eek::eek::eek:

:weeping: All i can think is that there must be some serious damage to the roof, cos aren't they virtually unrepairable if they're propper bent?

They've offered me another one with free maxi dot though so not all bad.

Just one thing, i ordered the pikey witson mfd off egay. If i fit it will it stop the maxi dot working properly?

No the maxidot will be unaffected.

The google maps picture was taken in 2000. If you look at the same place in the latest version of google earth the aerial view is dated along the bottom.

I'm fairly sure mine is one of the damaged ones, but Skoda UK told me that they're all being checked over with a fine tooth comb and my dealer is giving me a courtesy car until september so i'll just pick mine up with a brand spanking '58 plate. No worries. I'll check it out on acceptance, but everyone i've spoken to in the know says you won't notice any difference: They're not leaving port until they look like they've just left the factory apparently... but that's only me passing on what the 'official' line is from Skoda UK.:thumbup:

Think it was the 25th June or there abouts.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, if you need your Octavia because the tax on your current car is about to expire (or something similar), I'm sure if you phone Farmers and tell them they'll give you something to use until your new car arrives.

FYI- They aren't just popping out the dents on the panels they are replacing the panels so you shouldn't be able to tell the difference at all. Just a small delay as the affected cars have to go back to the factory from Emden and then back again. Skoda have made the sold units a priority.

Replacing the panels could be even worse, do you know what is involved in replacing a roofskin? not an easy feat, normally involves body filler. Sounds to me like a recipe for disaster - future internal rusting.

@blackspaven

Exactly what I'm being told. Are they giving you the September date though, as I keep getting told "a couple of weeks". Or is that your freebie for being kept waiting?

Nah, I kinda found out accidentally. Dealer said it was delayed and I just asked in passing when I was on the phone to Skoda UK. There was a delay and then the lady came back with the official SUK statement. After that I just called the dealer and spoke to them about it. I'd already agreed a possible courtesy car before all this cos there was a crossover between me selling my car and picking this one up so I just took advantage of that and said i'd get a '58 plate instead.

Not really a freebie but I think my dealer may well have done anyway cos they're spot on. Rainworth in Mansfield if anyone's interested. Very good chaps!:thumbup::thumbup:

Oh, and to answer the bit I missed in your question, I haven't been given a date of arrival, i'm just holding out until september to get the '58 plate. I haven't a clue when it's likely to come over. SUK this morning told me that if cars are damaged they're going back to the factory before coming back to port. And someone said they thought the bill was gonna be in the billions not millions what with dinged Audi R8's and stuff: 100k a pop is gonna mount up quickly, but that seems a bit of an exageration.

There are UTube videos of the hail storm in Germany that caused the damage. There is none of the cars damaged at VW/Skoda. They show video of cars driving through monsoon rain while being pelted by the golf ball size hailstones. They also show the aftermath of vehicles looking like they had just come out of a war zone. The windscreend pummeled and panel work with many many dents. Looking at the pictures, if the VW cars are the same then most would be written off not repaired. I will try to get the link for the video tomorrow.

Keith:thumbup:

This may seem like a possibly obvious question, but does anyone know how to DEFINATELY find out whether one's car has been damaged in this incident or not??

I'm assuming someone at either SUK or my dealer will know, but I'd like to know EXACTLY what I should be asking for and from whom so that I know i'm not being fobbed off with just a 'yeah, it was fine' kind of response from everyone.

:thumbup:

This may seem like a possibly obvious question, but does anyone know how to DEFINATELY find out whether one's car has been damaged in this incident or not??

I'm assuming someone at either SUK or my dealer will know, but I'd like to know EXACTLY what I should be asking for and from whom so that I know i'm not being fobbed off with just a 'yeah, it was fine' kind of response from everyone.

:thumbup:

I am afraid that you'll never get a straight answer, sales aren't going to be jeopardised for a few white lies, and what you don't know won't hurt you.

Fair enough. Got off the phone with the dealer and they said they're not sure yet, but from what SUK are telling them, they think my car wasn't involved, which is what made me ask the question as it seemed a bit convenient. I could always call their bluff and say that's fine with me... as long as I get it in writing from either the dealer or SUK. Culpability in case i'm being lied to! :-)

I'm not sure I'd be happy accepting a brand new car that has had major bodywork repairs.

I know they do this , but I'm paying for a factory fresh car and if I find out that it's not I don't see why I'd be expected to pay the same as one that's had lots of work

When I worked at Peugoet there was some rule that if more than 3 body panels had been dented it couldn't be sold as a new car.

Don't quote me on it but we had an incident where a 107 got crushed when being unloaded off the car transporter and we had to get the customer a new one even though it could be fixed.