Vrs versus Sport

Hello

Saw one of the rare Sport's today and wondered form a purely anorak point of vire if the sport suspension on the Sport is the same as my Vrs or does the vrs have a different (perhaps further enhanced?) type of Sport suspension.

Thanks

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is it? I had a test drive in one a few months ago which made my mind up on getting a 1.8TFSI and it was nice but nobody made it out to be any big deal with regards to rarity. The dealer just said it was an outgoing model. And how come the VRS has a stronger chassis? I understand if it does cos from my golf background, the Rallye was supposed to have a handbuilt engine cos it was a speciality, but what makes it different to the normal models?:confused:

FYI, if anyone is interested, i'd have thought there's a good chance it's still for sale as it wasn't that long ago: it was at Winchester Skoda who have Garland Motors in Aldershot as a slightly smaller sister company but it was available from either. It was a black hatchback by the way

ive probably counted about a dozen in 18 months. 2 red the rest in black. its not a bad car, it can keep up with vrs's 1st to 3rd before the turbo on the vrs takes over. top speed isnt far off a vrs, slightly cheaper insurance. fuel economy is good 34-44mpg is my average. the main thing the vrs has over it is its more tuneable with the likes of revo and has a turbo. Spec inside is similar to vrs.

For a minute there I thought you said that the 2.0 FSI Sport could keep up with the 2.0 TFSI vRS from 1st to 3rd..............

................................................. oh, you did! :o:rolleyes:

it can keep up with vrs's 1st to 3rd before the turbo on the vrs takes over. top speed isnt far off a vrs, slightly cheaper insurance.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

thats correct one that doesnt have a revo kit on it and is still standard. have a look at the specs there is about 12 mph difference in max speed and i know my car can also do 14mph (as per tomtom/talex) above the book speed. its less than 2 seconds slower on 0-60 by book specs too, so dont diss something before you tried it.

Edited by smstext

yes mine felt a bit sluggish when i first bought one and when mentioned on here i was told (and iirc was told by you) that it needs to run in and loosen first.

but then a standard vrs will seem slow to you once you've tuned it.

its not a bad car, it can keep up with vrs's 1st to 3rd

Problem is I suspect you'll find the vRS is still in second when you're in third, when I shot past you off the roundabout a few months back coming home from the Newbury meet I was wheelspinning in second as I went past.

Don't get me wrong, I like the sport and looked at buying one but in the end was lucky enough to be able to get a vRS instead. Although, I will admit :eek: in the real world in every day driving there probably isn't much in it *applies flame proof suit*:o

Problem is I suspect you'll find the vRS is still in second when you're in third, when I shot past you off the roundabout a few months back coming home from the Newbury meet I was wheelspinning in second as I went past.

Don't get me wrong, I like the sport and looked at buying one but in the end was lucky enough to be able to get a vRS instead. Although, I will admit :eek: in the real world in every day driving there probably isn't much in it *applies flame proof suit*:o

We did funnily enough discuss this when rescuing another member a few weeks ago, i must admit when you did boot it it didnt feel much different to my car pulling away, it was only when you were getting above 3.5k revs that you noticed a difference i.e being the turbo. Its not till you get in say mr fish's revo'd car that you notice the difference but then that as ive said has been revo'd.

Having had a 2.0FSI Sport for nearly a year before getting the vRS I thought I'd add my tuppence worth.

The Sport is surprisingly quick. You need to work it *hard* and use the revs but if driven properly it can go. However it will not keep up with a standard vRS in any gear above 2k rpm, never mind once the turbo is properly spooled up at higher revs.

Immediately before the Octy Sport I had a Fabia vRS, which *felt* quicker than the Sport, but in reality wasn't as quick, or as sure footed, but that's another story....

In the real world some memorable moments when I had the sport include being able to push a Jag XK8 and a MeganeSport through the twisties (more down to the driver than the car though I suspect ;) ) and the look on the MeganeSport's face was priceless as he gained some on me in the straights but I reeled him in through every bend... he prolly consoled himself that "those Octavia vRS's are quite quick" not realising it was "just a sport" lol.

So even in a straight there's not more than a couple to a few car lengths between an Octy Sport and say a vRS/MeganeSport/Type-R etc but they are defo not as quick.

The suspension is, as far as I know, exactly the same. When I got my vRS I actually was dissapointed in the suspension/handling after having the 'lesser' sport for a year, but I'm pleased to report that it was due to poor camber etc. settings, and a 4 wheel laser alignment and setup fixed that, making it handle amazingly just as my sport had.

One thing I remember noting when I had the sport was that my speeds on several bends on my daily work commute were faster than when I had my CTR, such was the confidence it instilled.

To sum up the Sport was a fantastic car with amazing handling, but it just lacked a bit of grunt - it is virtually a vRS without the Turbo and bodykit. I thought I'd be able to live with it and save some money but in the end I just had to trade it in for a petrol vRS and lose way more money than if I'd just got the vRS in the first place :rolleyes: We live and learn...

To sum up the Sport was a fantastic car with amazing handling, but it just lacked a bit of grunt - it is virtually a vRS without the Turbo and bodykit.

nice to here it :thumbup:

Thanks for all the answers.

Suppose I am a little suprised that the Sport suspension set up seems to be exactly the same as the Vrs. With the marketing blurb you would think the Vrs had a "special" set up rather than just sport seats and a spoiler. Still love my Vrs though.

Okaaaaaaaay, have I gone a bit mental here??

Obviously from earlier on I said I went to Winchester Skoda and tried out what I was told was a 1.8TFSI Sport as a demo car which made my mind up as to getting that engine in my L&K estate.... but everyone here is refering to a 2.0FSI being the engine of note in a sport.

Am I cracking up or was the Sport fitted with both at some point or other?? I'm VERY confused about now??!! Was the sales guy wrong and somehow gave me a '07/'57 model octavia fitted with a 1.8TFSI (which, from what he said, I thought must have been only fitted to the Sport model judging by how many people are saying this 'new' 1.8TFSI engine is now available in an octavia) or was I driving a car which he thought had the 1.8 engine but in fact had a 2.0FSI and as such means i'll be getting an even QUICKER car judging by the output figures between the 1.8 & 2.0?

What the blinkin' flip is goin' on???!!

:confused::confused::confused:

the 1.8t has replaced the 2.0fsi and there may have been some overlap of 2.0 still available when the 1.8t was released. Im not sure when the 1.8t started to appear though and also not sure if that engine could be in a 57 sport model. someone on here should have a firm release (ish) date.

To add my 2p to the turmoil, I asked Skoda UK what the differences were in suspension between the vRS and the Sports Suspension upgrade, and they told me very little. :rofl:

I suspect that in my case the presence of a bloody heavy derv unit probably didn't do the handling any favours though . . .

Incidentally, I have driven a 2.0TFSi and I would be very suprised if a 2.0FSI could come close! The powerband of the TFSi is so linear and there is so much available torque low down that I can't see any N/A petrol of less power capable of coming close, in any gear or at any speed. :o

A little homework seems to suggest that the 1.8t was available from april 2007, at least in Ireland, so I guess it's very possible that the car I test drove WAS actually a 1.8TFSI!

http://briskoda.net/forums/octavia-ii/1-8tsi-160hp/84354/

Hush my mouth!

Still, very reassuring that i'm getting the car I test drove!! lol

I test drove the (new, 4 valve, timing chain) 1.8 TFSI and the 2.0 TFSI engines in Octys, and thought the 1.8 was a very nice, refined engine, with good low and mid range power, but when you really got up them the 2.0 definitely had the edge (so that's the one I bought).

• 1 month later...

From my recent trips to Germany, the dealers I spoken to there say they sell more Sports than VRS versions.

I'm very happy with my TDI Sport due to it's more subtle looks (no external badges, smaller boot spoiler) & cheaper insurance. My local dealer implied there were very few differences to the suspension & brakes etc..

Plus of course if I wanted to drive really fast, I'd have bought a 2.0 Fabia & overtaken you all.

(* insert appropriate smiley face)

cheers ... Darren

Im happy with my sport, not much road these days that is actually clear either of traffic or scamera items. Also noticed you get less hassle being in a sport which was one of my concerns about a vrs with a huge boy racer look spoiler (sorry vrs owners it does look nice but has nick me written on it imho)

Also noticed after travelling in APD's standard vrs that its not till about 4k revs that you notice any difference. however i love the look of mine, like you say about the subtle look, cheaper insurance and is actually quite pokey too!! :thumbup: