Cage Mod - Worth a go?

As per THIS thread, I might give this a go on the new aquisition :D

Anyone else done this already on the Roomy?

I did mate, and just like on the previous octy it does work, the difference in the engine firing up is night and day :thumbup:

Having done this on both our vRS's i have to say it's a must do mod..... Even if you don't really notice a difference the cost of a couple of quid means your not really loosing much etc....

Cheers

Dave.

Having done this on both our vRS's i have to say it's a must do mod..... Even if you don't really notice a difference the cost of a couple of quid means your not really loosing much etc....Dave.

I've already done it on my vRS ages ago, this was more a question to see if anyone had done it on the Roomster ;)

• 1 month later...
Silicone Adhesive Sealant > Maplin

Is this the right stuff from Maplin?

I don't want to go and buy the wrong stuff. The word adhesive is putting me off, there are aerosols but this looked more like a proper grease.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! definately not adhesive!!

For the moment I can't find a supplier for you but I'll edit this post when I do. :thumbup:

I think the item you need from Maplins would be:

Multi Purpose Silicone Grease > Maplin

Particularly the 50g tube version (£4), which looks a little expensive compared to RS Components version of the same at the same price for double the quantity (100g).

rswww.com | RS Silicone Grease, 100g Tube, 494-124

... but then you don't need much and Maplins might be on a high-street near you.

HTH

Edited by silvermog
Correct URL

• 1 month later...
Yeah got that, but i seem to remember the original thread from Josh detailing removing the baffles whihc is why I though it's called the cage mod.

found out that its called "cage mod" after the Guy that posted it as a fix on the My MAF fix revisited. - TDIClub Forums quite a knowledgable guy from looking at some of his threads. check out the date!

I've had no reason to worry/think about dodgy connectors on my Roomster, but I'd be V E R Y chary about filling an electrical connector body with an excellent insulator. ("Excellent dielectric properties" means it's a bloody good insulator.) Unless, of course, you're trying to keep a contact insulated. If it's good contacts you're after, clean the connectors with a cotton bud and a spot of meths - use fine emery if they're really filthy - then smear very lightly with Vaseline before re-connecting.

John

Carried out the Cage mod on our 07 reg Roomster 1.9 Tdi today. Noticed an improvement, especially a reduction in smoke under load and smoother running in general.

When I carried out the Cage mod on out 01 reg Fabia 1.9Tdi I did not notice any change, but the Fabia reduces less smoke than the Roomster under load.

One difference, the MAF on the Roomster has Gold plated contacts whearas the Fabia doesn't. Both MAF's are Bosch.

Hope this helps others.

Dougal

I've had no reason to worry/think about dodgy connectors on my Roomster, but I'd be V E R Y chary about filling an electrical connector body with an excellent insulator. ("Excellent dielectric properties" means it's a bloody good insulator.) Unless, of course, you're trying to keep a contact insulated. If it's good contacts you're after, clean the connectors with a cotton bud and a spot of meths - use fine emery if they're really filthy - then smear very lightly with Vaseline before re-connecting.

John

FWIU the cage mod is more aimed at the sensors in the engine, the dielectric properties stop cross talk interferance, so the signal from the MAF for example is just that. only the signal being generated from the sensor inside the maf gets transmitted to the ECU, therefore better optimisation of the other settings, leading to less smoke on a diesel, better ecomomy etc.

I agree about cleaning the contacts, makes a big difference to the quality of the signal as well. Got my old SNES (yes I still have one that works:thumbup:) out of the cupboard the other day and to get the games to load I had to clean the contacts on each cartridge with emery cloth(fine grade not rough though)