panel filter vs induction kit vrs

dc14

sorry if thia has already been disscussed and if so if someone cud point me to the correct thread but im also a noob to here and the whole vrs thing after running dubs for most of my time.

ive always ran induction kits on my performance cars but never had a turbo and now recently bought a vrs mk 1 so was wondering is it worth putting a decent cold air induction kit on or panel filter?ive been told some use panels and say they're good and others use induction kits ie forge /jabba kits.Dont wanna spend a load on a kit if its not worth the gain or mess's up the car.

I will also be fitting a forge dv and re-map so want it to work in conjunction with this.

Cheers dwight

Buy a second hand induction kit from the for sale section or get an e-bay jobby ;)

Your not going to gain much power (if any) but you will gain loads more induction noise :thumbup:

i was talking to a mechanic and came up with ch@vs and moding cars and he said that the exhausts they put on actually loses the car power along with performance air filters and dump valves being a waste of money unless you like making silly whoosing noises. As he put it, if doing that actually boost your power so easily then why do the manufactors waste so much money on R&D and not actually just fit these so called performance things to the car straight away anyway?

i was talking to a mechanic and came up with ch@vs and moding cars and he said that the exhausts they put on actually loses the car power along with performance air filters and dump valves being a waste of money unless you like making silly whoosing noises. As he put it, if doing that actually boost your power so easily then why do the manufactors waste so much money on R&D and not actually just fit these so called performance things to the car straight away anyway?

Very broad statement and only partially correct IMO

It totally depends on the exhaust system/ dump valve system/ air filter, as well as the car in question.

Sure, if you get a universal jap can from halfords and stick it on your 1.2 corsa it ain't gonna do a hell of a lot, probably lose you some torque.

But a well manufactured custom item, from someone who knows what they are doing, or an off-the-shelf item from a well known manufacturer such as magnex, milltek, sebring, blueflame etc CAN and WILL release some power, but it depends on the application.

This has been proven time and time again on rolling roads, although sometimes the power they claim to gain isn't quite on the money...

You also need to remeber that a lot of R&D goes into some of these aftermarket add-ons. Manufacturers such as pipercross, K&N, Blueflame, they spend thousands of pounds on getting their products right.

In addition, the reason most manufacturers fit emissions and noise reducing items such as EGR valves, exhaust silencers, CAT's, is because:

a) loud exhausts arent everyones cup of tea

and/or

B) they are legally obliged to keep emissions down

and/ or

c) cost - why would they pay extra money to have a dump valve/ stainless steel exhaust system fitted to every car they make, when they arent neccarily "needed" for Joe Bloggs drive to work everyday.

Its the classic case of performance traded off against emissions/ noise levels.

Sounds like your mechanic has it in a little for modified car enthusiasts.

Which brings me to my final point - not everyone who mods a car is a chav.

Edited by ultra_joel88

I have to say,apart from saving me a few quid at service time I notice absolutely no difference in the car whatsoever with a panel filter.Noise or anything else.(its not a skoda BTW)

However on the Borla front:)

For what it's worth i have always gone with performance panel filters on my TDi's and noticed a good improvement in throttle pick-up from low revs and sometimes better revving top end.

This weekend - i just fitted a Pipercross panel to my new Octy Mk2 petrol (after much pullling, wiggling and shouting - that engine cover is a nightmare!). Not hugely noticeable - but sounds seem louder from the engine. No bhp or torque change to shout about IMHO.

Is it not true that upgraded exhausts and filters etc, while not necessarally making a huge difference themselves, enable you to get the best from further mods, such as a remap?

And :thumbup: to ultra_joel88. Well put.

Induction , tip , intake and exhaust manifolds and a good exhaust will all aid "flow" and free up some bhp but also allow the turbo to spool up quicker and hold boost better @ high rpm but to get the best out of the above the map must be "custom" eg stage 2 custom code etc.

but some people used to get ripspeed induction kits on their 1.2's and think it made it into a rocket ship.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: but i want a anti gravity jet propelled system can ripspeed help me??:thumbup::D:rofl:

I had one of those eBay induction kits fitted, didnt make much difference to the car but it had the noise i liked (at the time) however in the wet the filter got wet as it sat behind the right grill in the front bumper... not good, so took it off and got a bloody warning light which had to be removed, another £25 down the pan! Its sat in the garage now, it does make a nice home for spiders though.....

imo(and this is just mine from limited experience) without a decent cold air feed properly setup to scoop up cold, dense air, an induction kit is pretty much useless. If warm air goes in you are actually losing power.

I used to run a k&n with the cold air feed and although it did come with the rubber scoop, the hose directed at the filter...it still ran pretty warm.

Then switched to a piper x viper(carbon fibre) and had a bell opening cut into my front lockwood grille, and had the hose connected up and into the opening of the filter. After about 2 hours o driving i'd open the bonnet touch the filter and found it was fairly cool to the touch. Which prooved with a decent setup, a supply of cold air could be maintained

you can also modify a heatsheild to fit over the induction kit to help with engine bay heat

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, I know I'm a bit late with my input. My Mk1 Oct vRS is remaped and fitted with a cold air induction kit and dump valve. The CAI kit was fitted after the remap and to be quite honest apart from a nice induction note and the feeling that the engine is reving more freely, I havent really noticed much in the way of performance gains. As for the dump valve, I was advised that it would offer the turbo more protection than the standard valve. It is a recirculation valve so the "Boy racer PTSSSH" is fairly quiet. Back to my point. My previous car was a K plate Toyota Celica GT, with a standard 158bhp. A CAI kit and a CAT back Scorpion stainless exhaust was fitted. The before and after rolling road showed the bhp was up 19, giving a new, and smille enducing 177bhp. My point is that if the mods are done properly the gains are there to be seen. :thumbup:

Yet another thread where your posting controversial statements and generally getting on peoples nerves..

For those wondering what I am on about search 'vrs vs sport'...

really and how would that be? what we found is if the product is researched for the correct car and the correct part is fitted it could increase your performance. however many of these ch@vs are going into the local car parts shop or argos catalogue and buying a huge loud and often illegal (not road legal) exhaust and bunging it on. Also many of these chav racers are doing so much to try and make their cars go faster and taking more risks thinking its faster, yet when it comes to stopping their rust buckets they forget that their brakes are standard and cannot cope as well.

Yet another thread where your posting controversial statements and generally getting on peoples nerves..

For those wondering what I am on about search 'vrs vs sport'...

That thread was closed because it degenerated, this one will be if it goes the same way.

not from me fordfan, ive only posted what i was told, we have concluded if the parts are from the argos catalogue or the biggest exhaust from your local motorist discount store that it will decrease the power (look at ch@v motors) but if like shifty or steve your remaps are designed for the car along with the parts used then no doubt big power increases could/can be achieved. :thumbup: