Violent Computer Games

philc

CRNeo - you and I are of a similar age - we were brought up with a clear idea of right and wrong. I've tried to do the same with my kids, but violence, swearing etc. on the TV and in films and games make the parents' job harder. "But it's alright for Arnie to kill people, isn't it, Daddy?"

Of course there are a few individuals pre-disposed to violence for whatever reason, be it nature or nurture, and it's definitely not OK to blame it on media, but I think it has an effect, nonetheless.

Yes there was a ridiculous amount of violence in the 1940s - mostly at the instigation of one or two psychopaths who got into positions of great power on the back of a wave of popular opinion influenced by an economic depression. That doesn't really compare with individuals going out and committing violent acts on other individuals. That's a more long-term problem which needs addressing by society as a whole, not nations.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see where you're coming from but I certainly know from a young age I could tell the difference between right and wrong, it's not exactly rocket science, I'm sorry but I find it very difficult to beleive that anyone could accept that violence was 'normal' behaviour and anyone who did/does quite frankly is not normal themselves. Lock them up and throw away the key :thumbdwn:

Agreed, but I doubt you knew instantly from the womb what was right n wrong ;) who ever brought you up did a good job in teaching you right from wrong... alot of kids dont get this lesson in life which is one reason why they stray... i still reckon the level of gore, violence etc in games/movies influences the end result in some of these cases...

kids these days have SSooo much more to take in at a much younger age, its crazy!!!

:eek:

Agreed' date=' but I doubt you knew instantly from the womb what was right n wrong ;) who ever brought you up did a good job in teaching you right from wrong... alot of kids dont get this lesson in life which is one reason why they stray... i still reckon the level of gore, violence etc in games/movies influences the end result in some of these cases...

kids these days have SSooo much more to take in at a much younger age, its crazy!!!

:eek:[/quote']

Kinda makes me not want to have kids! Bringing them into the big bad world makes me think you'll be doin them no favours !

• Administrators

Yup, Ban Asteroids, then when the times comes and iron and ice is burning up the atmosphere, we can all sit on the beach saying this is because we banned the playing of asteroids.

Parents with underage kids and nderage titles need a slap...Personally I wish PG was abolished.

The News should be heavily censored and report more good things, not the bad bad bad reporting we always hear.

The somebody has to be blamed culture winds me up no end, if I trip on the pavement it's my own stupid bloody fault, I have eyes, brain cells I should use them.

I have no time for the whinners of society, sure life is tough, things tend to go against you a few times, but just get on with it...So do computer games infulence us?

Same as saying monopoly causes the housing boom ffs, this oh th game causedhim to kill, no society generally did as I guess not many people gave a dam, much less the parents while he was sitting up till the small hours playing it. Maybe it helped him, but then he would be disposed to the idea already.

Tricky topic of course not forgetting the viticm, who I feel has now sadly been overlooked by these stunts of the retailers and press....

More good news, less bad news.

re the 40's yes lots of violence, difference is the media, if you lived in say Cornwall you woulod not know about a chap on the run in Yorkshire, such as the world is shrinking.

re CrNeo not bringing kids into the world, with you on that one. I really can't see the point, okay no kids = perhaps a big part of lifes wheel will be missing later...but really I cannot see the point of subjecting them to this increasingly cruel world...

Harsh but I'm rebuilding my fence for a better view.

who me? and why blame the parents then?

because they are the only constant influence a child has from the beginning of life, and if u are a parent or know new parents u will know how much a child depends on them for survival ;)

okay no kids = perhaps a big part of lifes wheel will be missing later...but really I cannot see the point of subjecting them to this increasingly cruel world...

Ah, but you might conceive the person who discovers a cure for cancer...should you really be so selfish and abstain? :D

Rob.

as for not bringing kids into the world I once thought like that, thought this spinning rock was a feckin hell hole... but now KIDS ROCK!!! its unbelivable how ur life changes and how the littlest thing they do/learn can make you happy, soppy I know but its all true...

I just want to screw up bits of paper and throw them in the waste bin! :D

IMHO, some of the problems of this day and age are down to lazyness/selfishness. It's easier to plonk your children in front of a TV/video/DVD/Console* (*delete as appropriate) than actually spend time with them and encourage them to do something different with their lives.

All to do with "the power of me". Too much personal choice and freedom - this is where we end up. Shame, really. :(

Like I said in my post above it's about being 'selective' which only the parents can do...

so the likes of spiderman, he-man, tenage mutant hero turtles don't have violence in them then ?

still think it's the games and not the parents. why shouldn't they play games?

so the likes of spiderman' date=' he-man, tenage mutant hero turtles don't have violence in them then ?[/quote']

hmm dunno if you're stirrin on not... but here goes, parents allow their kids to buy 18's rated games, yes. (Some)Kids are not mature enough to understand the difference between game violence and reality... Parents are responsible for what comes into their homes and what the kids see and do.. if there were no games, kids would still hit each other untill a parent or gaurdian taught them that its wrong, thats just nature... that is why i belive parents are responsible.

Spiderman, turtles etc are comic style and the voilence in these games is not as graphic as lets say Manhunter IMHO but again even these games influence kids, how many are hurt from falls trying to emmulate spiderman! :D

But that is growing up, spills n thrills. Killing someone with a claw hammer is not!

so the likes of spiderman, he-man, tenage mutant hero turtles don't have violence in them then ?

Yes they do, but He-Man doesn't bend Skeletor over the bed and give him a jolly good seeing to then hack him to bits with a hatchet...

The somebody has to be blamed culture winds me up no end' date=' if I trip on the pavement it's my own stupid bloody fault, I have eyes, brain cells I should use them.

I have no time for the whinners of society, sure life is tough, things tend to go against you a few times, but just get on with it.

[/quote']

:thumbup: Completely agree Colin. My wife came up to London today and she was commenting on an advert on the tube - was Esther Rantzen saying that "fruit can be bad for you" ... then explains by saying that you can slip on a dropped grape in a supermarket etc etc ... ends up being an advert for some bl**dy ambulance chasing law / claims firm :mad: It really winds me up that people can't accept that an accident is actually what is says - i.e. an accident - and doesn't mean that someone has to be to blame.

Personally, I don't enjoy watching particularly violent films or playing much in the way of games but I do think that parental guidance is more important in influencing a child than any computer game / film.

Funny cos just the other day after playing Enemy Territory I found myself running up Troon beach with a stick of dynamite a rifle shouting for a medic, I then tried to repair a tank and blow the door of the bank to steal its gold deposits, before stopping a train at the staion from delivering its payload to a huge gun emplacent, from here I blew u a fueldump then ran throught some underground tunnels to dynamite some anit-tank guns....... but really I don't think games ahave any sort of influence on me at all.... I NEED A MEDIC.

hmm dunno if you're stirrin on not...

well yes and no really, This is one fooked up world we live in and we have to do our best to live in it.