Czech 2009 feeler/discussion

sms

Well there is amongst the forum a general interest for a trip for next year. Having never been before and not been out of the uk in many years I personally wouldnt have a clue where to start or organising such a trip (any volunteers?). However im sure between ourselves (if enough interest is shown) and from people with previous experience on the CZ trip something could be put together.

I think september time would be good (kids back at school etc) and try and get the dorsky meet included.

So, shall i start the ball rolling with my name?

1. SMS+Sinister (1 car)

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well (im hoping actually) that previous attendees will be able to come up with some rough prices soon so we can get a rough idea on how much our money boxes will need to be filled with to take part. Obviously better parking facilites to what was on the 2007 trip will need to be sought and probably contact with members from skodahomez who know the area and can recommend where and where not to go and stay.

well (im hoping actually) that previous attendees will be able to come up with some rough prices soon so we can get a rough idea on how much our money boxes will need to be filled with to take part. Obviously better parking facilites to what was on the 2007 trip will need to be sought and probably contact with members from skodahomez who know the area and can recommend where and where not to go and stay.

It all depends on the exchange rate and the type of hotel you want to stay in:) You will be looking at fuel for 2000 + miles and meals for the days you are there, in 2007 the cheapest meal I had was about £5 and the dearest £25 but that was at Cz 40 to the £.

Although Jason expressed an interest in organising this, I am sure if you want to have a go he won't complain :rofl: Your best bet is to talk to Makefish (Steve) who I am sure will give you some excellent contacts. You will also need a reasonable idea of numbers as I suspect it could be rather popular and a hotel to accomodate everyone may limit your choices.

Good Luck:P

I will put myself forward as a volunteer for helping with the organisation. I have a lot on at the moment but if between us we can gather as much info as possible and get some firm numbers and ideas on cost I will jump onto it in a couple/few weeks/:)

If any previous organisers would like to share their details I would really appreciate any info you may have. Even if its just to say dont use certain hotels etc. I would also like to know who the contacts are in Czech so I can get in touch and start the ball rolling.

To get things started lets try and get the following information:

1. likley costs based on previous trips.

2. Numbers

3. Itinerary/Activities

I will get as involved as possible with the organisation and travel plans but just to state from the start we will travel over to Czech with the group and it will be great to join in with all the planned activities but we may not be staying in the hotel/accomodation and we wont be traveling back to the UK with the group. The reason being we will extend our trip to Czech for a couple of weeks and saty with family.

Couldnt make the 2007 trip so i'm really looking forward to the 2009 trip. I hope theres a few people who feel the same way:thumbup:

I'd love to visit Doksy when the skoda meet is on.

I know the area around Doksy pretty well. Its close to the airfield in Mimon as well so I could research the "best" (price, location, parking etc) place to stay in the area if this was of interest rather than travelling to/from Prague.

For example heres a map of Doksy and Mimon and I know Ceska Lipa very well indeed so can recommend a few nice places in the local area (CeSka Lipa & Novy Bor).

Mapy.cz

You might have to zoom out a little bit (about half way on the scale bar) as ive linked to a web site on a nice hotel right in Ceska Lipa town centre (Hotel Morris)

Ive rented a quad bike a few times as well so can go direct to the source if anyone would like to do something like that. I can get better prices and can sort the communication/translation so you feel comfortable about everything. They are road going quads too so you basically go off and find your own place to go off roading.

Edited by octimark

1. Set how much you want to pay per night, 2007 iirc was around £25, this years road trip was £42, I would guess around £30 -£35 will get a reasonable hotel B&B.

Most of the driving in Cz was fast A road and Autobahn, depending on what folks want to do during the stay 2000 miles is a good starting point, petrol/deisal approx 10% cheaper than home at current exchange rates.

£25 - £30 a day should see you reasonably well fed, £5 a day for drinks and then gifts etc on top. (based on current exchange rates of 30 Cz to £)

Parking, if you want to park in a secure compound then factor in a parking charge, (in Cannes we paid £12 a night)

2. IMO you should set a limit as to numbers, for A) parking, and B) accomodation, not to mention staying together, and trips out. No more than 20 cars - 40 people is sensible again imo.

3. 2007, we had a day at Dosky, a day at Mimon airfeild and the skoda factory, and a couple of days around Prague. Steve also organised a couple of meals out through iirc Petr, however the 2nd was cancelled due to the logistics of feeding 40 people at the same time.

hth

Thanks postmanpat.

You are right about the exchange rate. At the moment the Czech Krown is strong against the £ so I would use 30czk:£1 however in the last week it has dropped as low as 26czk:£1.

A decent hotel will cost around £35/£40 per person per night, excluding the centre of Prague of course.

Once you get out of Prague prices for food/drink etc are lower but you loose the comfort of at least some basic English being spoken. Not every where you go but be prepared for most people not to speak English. I will put together a couple of A4 pages which will help with the basics if you get stuck, half the fun is having a go and you would be surprised how much better service you get if you do have a go.

Ive never driven to Czech so cant comment on the amount of fuel needed but theres a few people who have done the trip before and i'm sure can comment on fuel used. Petr who's on here and lives in Sheffield travels regualry, i'm sure he will be able to comment.

I really missed Prague this year.

I was thinking maybe a stay in Prague and a stay near Doksy/Mimon. Best of both worlds.

The Skoda factory is more or less half way between Prague and Doksy.

I was thinking maybe a stay in Prague and a stay near Doksy/Mimon. Best of both worlds.

The Skoda factory is more or less half way between Prague and Doksy.

I may need some local / CZ speaking to help get the right place for everyone. ;) I will be after the biggest hotel possible, with the most secure parking, probably on the outskirts of Prague. :)

I may need some local / CZ speaking to help get the right place for everyone. ;) I will be after the biggest hotel possible, with the most secure parking, probably on the outskirts of Prague. :)

Not a problem, happy to help.

I would suggest at least an overnight stay in the Doksy/Mimon area for maximum benefit and blasting up & down the runway:cool:

I would suggest at least an overnight stay in the Doksy/Mimon area for maximum benefit and blasting up & down the runway:cool:

I agree, although it's not too far from Prague to the runway, and not that far to Doksy either. Would rather have us all staying in one spot for the duration, although the appeal of going to Doksy and camping overnight is great, especially with some photos of women I've seen from previous shows. ;)

Only down side to the camping is trying to fit all your camping gear in the car:eek:

Yep - Was tough enough having just 1 hold-all, with all the "spares" you need to take with you. :eek:

With a good value, secure hotel, I'm sure members won't mind driving 70 odd miles to get to Doksy/Mimon. :)

With a good value, secure hotel, I'm sure members won't mind driving 70 odd miles to get to Doksy/Mimon. :)

Considering they've driven about 1000 miles to get to Prague they shouldn't complain! :rofl:

Btw, I'm interested, but can't commit yet. Sorry.

cool, a nice little committee forming here now. i wasnt expecting the finer plans to be even done till january. but if we can scratch the wood now with ideas, duration, itninerys then we have something to work on and should soon enough have dates and prices etc.

Anyone who is interested just add your name as this is just to help us get ideas on numbers etc (apd that means you add yourself lol). once we have prices and dates feel free to pull out (but you be sorry mawhahaha) but at least this way we know what sort of numbers we are planning for and then what kind of arrangements that will need to be made. :thumbup:

Yeah it will be my holiday too, i hope it gets off the ground, it will be good.

hope? you know it will get off the ground, to many of us want to go so im sure between the lot of us we will get it going.;):thumbup: