Most said "no", i said "go"

Duggie

Yep, maybe a waste of cash but time will tell, spent the day at Jabbasport getting the Fabia remapped, for a remap on a 1.4mpi i have to admit that the results are impressive. She now pulls better up to 5000rpm with the main imcreace at 3000rpm... Much quicker off the mark and much nicer to drive. Well worth £150. Thanks Jabba!

-Duggie.

i was gonna say did you get a before an after dyno print out to show the difference or if its placebo. i was offered a chip on my rover 214si years ago 10bhp would have been the most i would have gained not much difference really.

I'll scan the dyno readout later today, power and torque have increaced by a tiny margin but throttle responce (the blue line on jabba's readout) has increaced by 10 Cv. To be honest, the gains are small compared to a VRS but what would you expect?

The 1.8T plans have not been shelved but the cash hasn't come through yet and i wanted to try a 'map too, use and abuse the 1.4 for a little while longer...

Amazing since it's the same process that the sporty models cost £250-350 more to do no?

Not quite, Duggies 1.4 fabia had 6 maps available in the ecu, of which 2 were modified and tested on the rolling road.

On the flipside, a Fabia vRS has around 12 maps available of which 10 are modified which all correlate with each other and require numberous uploads to get the map just right.

At the end of the day once the maps are developed it's the same process of using a flash writing utility to write the new software down.

The cost of the map is related to:

- Cost of developing the map

- Cost of applying the map

So say the 1.4MPI map only costs a third of the VRS map to develop (I'm saying a third to allow for the same testing overheads etc).

The number of VRS out there that the cost will be split over is much much greater as it is usually the drivers of the sporty models that look at maps.

If you took this forum you are probably looking at 100 people remapping a fabia VRS for every 1 person doing a 1.4MPI (IMHO that's being generous to the number of 1.4's)

So even if the VRS map costs 3 times the price to develop it's per car cost of the R&D is going to be approximately a 30th.

The flash programmer is a load a file, then hit go and let it programme. Ok so the extra write might take a few minutes more but both are going to take less than 30 minutes.

As such the VRS map should be cheaper after a couple of years as the R&D has all be paid for and it's now pure profit + fitting costs etc.

I will add an important caveat, which is this is the case for a generic map. If you were applying a different map, well subset of possible map selections, for the individual car then I can see how the time for labour will increase.

Having worked in developing embedded software there are plenty of ways to use existing data to massively reduce the set of possible options before you even start downloading things.

So my point I guess is that there is , IMHO, no way a high volume generic remap such as the 1.9 TDI (130) should cost more than an almost one off generic map, especially over a few years.

That's why I can't understand the price of approx £500 for a generic one hit map that some people charge.

Don't drink much, don't like flying... sorted?

Here's the Graph that some of you may be interested in, as a sidenote, could any of you make head or tail of it for me? Where's the BHP? It's not much but an increace of some over verry little adds up in the end...

jabba001.jpg

Cheers guys!

-Duggie.

That's it yea, but to be honest, it feels better to me, i like it and i feel that it was money well spent. This is important to me. Also, an increace of 11% on power, i think, is very good for the money spent. Thanks for the maths guys and the comments. On my way up to Jabbasport part of me was thinking i was bonkers but on the way back i had a massive grin right the way into the driveway!

-Duggie.