New Look BRISKODA

ColinD

If you design a better button set thats more fitting we will certainly consider them, PM me if you want to have a go and ill send you the current set. The font on the buttons is the same as the site.

If the font is the same then it's missing some Anti-Aliasing:

button.png

Will PM you for the set and see if I can do anything you like :thumbup:

With regards to the font, i can clearly see the difference even in your screenshot!! :confused::confused:

I can see the difference, I'm just agreeing with people who say it's not as obvious as it is with the previous font. I'd consider removing the underline from viewed topic links, if it were my design. A bit counter-intuitive from an accessibility point of view, but would reinforce the difference maybe?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why remove the underline, in the whole web they identify things to click on and I dont think its even possible because hyperlinks are always underlined.

As posted by Alex, I can see a difference between bold and normal on my monitor and also its quiet obvious in the screenshot you posted earlier.

Why remove the underline, in the whole web they identify things to click on and I dont think its even possible because hyperlinks are always underlined.

It's quite easy to remove. One line of CSS code and all of about 6 seconds. But yes, the accessibility issue is one I did mention - Though in a presentation I'd counter that by saying that for it to not be underlined you must have clicked on it once, and also know how the forum works already. And therefore why do you need to stick to convention? It'd be a very shallow learning curve for everyone. Also, you would (technically) rarely need to re-read a thread that has been read by yourself before so not initially identifying it as a hyperlink wouldn't be a huge issue.

But, yeah. I only said I'd do it. Not that it's a good idea :D

Bug:

On search engine results pages.

On page 1, the page counter reads:

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 ..etc

On page 2, the page counter then reads:

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

So on page one, I have 25 results per page. ON page 2, I suddenly have 50 results per page.

To reproduce:

In your forum preferences, set "Number of posts per page" to "Forum Default"

Now click "todays posts" in the quick links menu.

Take note of the page numbers. Now click page 2, and note that the number of pages and results per page immediately changes

After using the new theme a bit more intesively...

1) The font really isn't as readable as the old one. Looks nice and modern, but definitely harder on my eyes. I like it for everything other than actual post text, its nice for the userinfo etc.

2) The bold doesn't stand out at all on both my monitors - is there an easy way the bold could be made bolder?

3) I like the buttons, but agree the font needs tweaking, it certainly isn't the same as the rest of it.

Otherwise Alex, don't be disheartened!! Overall I think it is excellent, and a really fresh modern appearance. Personally I like the colours, the new layout etc, all ace. Just a few tweaks to make for it to be perfect for me! :) :P

I'd agree with the general feedback of the font. I really liked the old font on Briskoda 2008 - it was clear on both 1024x768 and 1280x1024 resolutions. It was what I'd call perfect on my 1440 x (something) screen I've got at home.

I don't think it would hurt to:

- Have post text use the same font as Briskoda 2008

- Have everything else in the new style font, as Tom_vRS said.

I'd agree with Tom on the disheartened front too - I'm very pleased with the new look and am especially a fan of the buttons on the primary navigation. My feedback here is intended as constructive criticism and not a "petition against change" - I really, really like the new look :)

I don't think the fonts are blurry - small, but not blurry. It's just the bold. I used to be able to see at a glance if a thread had a new post in it, now I'm squinting at it thinking 'is that bold??' Just a bit annoying.

Well done for the amount of effort you've put into this Alex :thumbup:

For me, I'd prefer a slightly clearer font too. Also regards the light green background, that surrounds the posts down each side when viewing; it's a bit too visible in my peripheral vision for my liking and is a bit distracting (on a 22" widescreen).

But overall, an improved, fresher look that I like....

Steve

i dunno, not sure about it.

will run with it to see if i get used to it, if its going to be permanant i'd suggest using a couple of shades darker green for freedom usernames.

also as others have said, the fonts a tad straining on the eyes at times. especially the forum links such as....

BRISKODA - The Skoda Forums > Announcements, News, Introductions and Rules > Announcements > New Look BRISKODA

The bug regarding posts per page is doing my head in! Say you hit new posts, up comes 8 pages with 25 posts per page. Hit page 2 and there are 50 messages per page and only 4 pages, so you have to go back to page one to get posts 25 to 50...

New font: Don't know yet how it looks on a bigger screen but on my 9" laptop I would say that it's more readable than the old one.

The three nuances of green, though... the background (lavatory green) is horrid, the other two are OK in themselves but IMHO don't fit together, the one being yellowish and the other blueish.

Overall impression good, and Alex has made an impressive job :thumbup:

Just to clear a few things up, the posts per page thing is nothing to do with the theme or me, i believe its a setting Colin changed before he went on hols.

Also, unless you work with vbulletin its hard to understand what can be done with it. Some things are very easy where as other changes can prove extremely difficult so some of the requests that are being made are never going to happen just because of the complexity (i just don't have time). I will look into an alternative for the font, i may just increase its size in certain areas to see if it improves things as i really like the Trebuchet font.

Concerning the mint green that so many of you don't seem to like, as Colin said in his second post there are already plans for alternative colours so just sit tight.

The button font thing i am a bit confused about, simply because none of the fonts on the page have any anti aliasing and if you add it to the text on the buttons it looks out of place (i tried it already).

The issue with username colours i have no control over, its something that only Colin can set and thus has never changed. I am also puzzled at the comment that freedom members dont stand out any more.. normal members are very dark grey, freedom are bright green and admin/mods are red, where is the confusion?

Some of you are going to have to like it or lump it though i am afraid, its an impossible task to please everyone so i am not even going to try. I will take on board and consider all constructive criticism but simply stating you don't like it wont get you any where.