New Look BRISKODA

ColinD

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The button font thing i am a bit confused about, simply because none of the fonts on the page have any anti aliasing and if you add it to the text on the buttons it looks out of place (i tried it already).

Without:

quote.gif

With:

quoteAA.gif

I think it looks much nicer with (sorry about the button BG but I don't have the original so had to quickly clone it out)

OSX/Windows add antialiasing to screen fonts automatically. Photoshop won't unless you ask it to.

Without:

quote.gif

With:

quoteAA.gif

I think it looks much nicer with (sorry about the button BG but I don't have the original so had to quickly clone it out)

OSX/Windows add antialiasing to screen fonts automatically. Photoshop won't unless you ask it to.

Have to agree with Mort on this one. The anti-aliased button looks much nicer.

As to the font, it would be great if it could go smaller again. I do find the difference between normal and bold to be a problem though. It's very hard to tell if a thread is unread or not.

Bagpuss.

For those of you suffering with font size difficulties, in IE7 + and Firefox 3 (definitely, maybe firefox 2 also), and Safari, you have a "full page zoom" feature.

Hold ctrl and scroll with your middle mouse scroller (or hold ctrl and press + / - if you haven't got a scroller) to change the size of fonts and images on the page :)

Holding Ctrl and pressing "0" will reset the fonts and the page to their original sizes.

Well done on the new skin, although I'm not so keen on the fonts, finding them a bit hard to read when in the info below the avatar picture and the currently online parts of it. How about introducing a bit of red into the colour scheme, instead of just shades of green.

Otherwise I'm getting to like it.

Edit : Just looked at the old skin and I think it's just the fonts being a bit smaller, which maybe is why harder to read. Compared on line list too and I think having members in black, freedom green, mods red and sponsers in that purple will make it easier to understand.

Edited by Captain Scarlet

My 2 bob's worth,

Very nice and fresh

Tad bright on the eyes

Top line of links needs first letter Capitalising for total consistancy with rest of layout

Font - don't think is clearest and somewhat ' traditional' with all the serifs etc.

Just a thought but Arial is clearer more modern and now accepted business font

Just my 'opinion' and open to change

Overall an excellent effort with a few tweaks.

Cheers John

Overall I like the new look but when using linux the formatting seems to go to pot. the font reverts to some nasty serif thing - a firefox default I'd imagine - I assume because the site is designed in MS fonts?

Just an update on the bold/normal issue.

I have been doing all of my tweeking in firefox and not IE, now writing this post in IE i see exactly what you mean. IE seems to render the fonts very different to FF meaning there this little difference between bold and normal. It would also explain why the button text look out of place to some of you.

Font - don't think is clearest and somewhat ' traditional' with all the serifs etc.

Trebuchet is a sans-serif font? Like Verdana (the one used on the old skin) it was designed with screen legibility in mind. Georgia is a nice screen-based font that has serifs.

Overall I like the new look but when using linux the formatting seems to go to pot. the font reverts to some nasty serif thing - a firefox default I'd imagine - I assume because the site is designed in MS fonts?

The CSS font tag has only one font in it's list, so if you don't have 'Trebuchet MS' on your OS it will default back to your default font that's set in your browser. Might be worth seeing if Alex can add the default 'arial, helvetica, sans-serif' ending to teh tag for those on non Windows/Apple platforms?

I have been doing all of my tweeking in firefox and not IE, now writing this post in IE i see exactly what you mean. IE seems to render the fonts very different to FF meaning there this little difference between bold and normal. It would also explain why the button text look out of place to some of you.

IE uses the OS default AntiAliasing, some people may have this set up allready and it'll look the same as Firefox does. Not too sure if it's on by default in Vista, I know XP/2000 etc has it off by default.

Either way it won't change the button text as it's a bitmap image rather than the font information. If you like my buttons though I'll make sure they're all silky smooth with whatever font/size you end up using :D

Looks like something has changed font-wise, as I'm no longer seeing Trebuchet MS, even though I have it installed on my Mac.

Whatever the font is, it's ghastly.

Bagpuss.

** Ignore me. Font is now back as it was. **