Young Fabia vRS owners & insurance

Graham88

Hello, signed up as I'm looking to get one of these in the New Year or so when my insurance is up for renewal :)

I have got a quote of £750 FC with 2 years NCB @ 20 which I think is pretty damn good. My mate pays for than that on TPFT on a 1.2 Corsa! Just wondered what kind of prices other people are paying :thumbup:

Thanks

Gareth mate, you need to shop around!!

I pay the same as you, im 22, driving since 17. 2NCB, 2 write offs, and 5 points!

Brentacre is who im with.

They allow any mod that doesnt give you power for free. (other than big brakes, but they said they'd let me off).

HTH. Dave

im 23, 6 years no claims, advanced driving cert, zero points, im with swinton....their original quote was £384 untill i made them aware of another company that had quoted me £350....after giving me the ''let me just speak to my manager'' speech and no longer than 2 mins on hold i was re quoted £334 FC for the year...snapped their hand off at that!!!!

and ive previously been insured on a 2.0 mitsubishi carisma, a 1.6 fiesta zetec s (and a rover 45 which i was forced to borrow of a parent :thumbdwn: )

Edited by x4cs

I drive a Fabia VRS, declared mods, i.e Remap. 19 years of age 0 NCB 1500. But its my pride and joy and worth every penny.

declaring your mods is the best way imho. yes youre gettin stung a bit on insurance now, but look at it this way if the boys in blue stop a 19yo lad with a remapped/undeclared vrs youre gunna have a load more problems than a £1500 quid bill once a year. drive well and build those no claims up and that figure will soon fall.

The problem is, i had the accident 2 weeks after passing my test, and it was only a small rear ender, in a 2001 fiesta. Not had an accident since, touch wood. But yea i totally agree in declaring the mods, aswell with driving the car respectfully.

Theres 3 main factor affecting how much you pay. There are other things but those are the main 3.

1) Age

2) How long youve been driving

3) Where you live (postcode)

Im 27 been driving 3 years and have 3 points on my license (sp30) my insurance through Adrian Flux is £580 with a £150 excess and all mods declared.

In my opinion theyre one of the best to get insured with on a modified car. I was with Directline and when I declared my mods they wanted an extra £290 and on the orgional call to them to declare it they did NOT tell me that my excess was going be £850 and when I call them again to declare one more mod they confirmed everything back to me and said "still with an excess of £850"

I FLEW OFF THE HANDLE AT THAT MOMENT !

Explained to them I was not informed that on org call so said bogoff ! and they put my excess back down to £350.

IMHO Directline are pants and would never touch them again. Thats coming from somebody who used towork for them five years ago ;)

I drive a Fabia VRS, declared mods, i.e Remap. 19 years of age 0 NCB 1500. But its my pride and joy and worth every penny.

:eek: !!!!!!!!!!! Mind you I got the bus one was yesterday and had to pay £1.80 F me last time I went on the bus was 7 years ago and it cost me 60p thats a 200% increase :eek: !!!!!!!!

So id rather pay that 1500 than that every day lol !

Thats good

£616 and im 20, 1 years NCB, and a claim

With elephant :)

Thats me as the main driver and my folks as secondary drivers which bumps it down a fair bit ;) (hint)

Already did that mate :)

I will shop around nearer the time as there's no point doing it yet. But at least I know I won't be paying the earth.

Common prices in here seem to be around £600-£900 for my age, not bad considering what people pay on 1.2 Corsa's :)

Thanks for the replies :thumbup:

pfft you guys got it lucky.

I pay £1300 for a 'unmodded' fabia vrs, im 21 driving 4 yeas and NEVER had a crash. Clean licence.

1 Years NCB from 3 years ago which isn't helpfull as last year i insured it in my mums name due to circumstances.

Had the car 3 years this christmas and its never been below £1k, even under my mothers name.

Oh and i live in the middle of the countryside but my Postcode starts with NP (Newport South Wales) so I guess i get screwed for that.

Fully comp, 4 years NCB, 0 claims, DE postcode, kept on driveway, 2 other cars in household, £456 -- £150 more than what I paid for my 1.4 16v which I traded in the other week.

EDIT: Zero modifications. 22 Years old.

Edited by john-w

This is interesting...although I'm only 18, maybe it will be possible to get a VRS in the next year or two after all. I always thought the insurance pretty much ruled one out until I was 25 or something!

Or I could hang onto mine and do a few more bits 'n' bobs to it since I prefer the colour and the Elegance spec :rofl:

Fabia 1.9 Sdi, 21, no NCB, got banned two years ago for 3 months for a SP50, means my insurance is stupid £750

ouch that’s close to my 'worst case scenario' for insurance at my age, maybe drink driving ban instead, and 'writing a car off too' of which i know a couple who would fit that, yet I swear I see them driving now in fiesta turbo and the like.

Nearly at the age where modified cars are affordable, and its soo eagerly awaited I’m going to burst, even now my unmapped (for insurance purposes (bloody swift cover) feels not enough to sensate).

ref: the lad who's 18 and hopes to insure a vRS at his age or next 12months, do it! Soft blues and fancy comfy seats yes but power there is no substitute for. I paid just over £1000 to insure the furby when I was 18, 0ncb 1years licence 0sp. and worth every penny saved running the diesel. Keep her stock until your 21, hope for a smooth 2years of ncb+ driving and be surprised at how little extra it will be to insure something like shifty fabia. I got a quote to prove it.

Big exhausts on corsas make a loud noise, but 230lb torque at 50mph all they will see if black smoggy skoda getting further away.

One last point, I do a lot of driving for myself and work, my furby is on 61,000 since January 2006 and she lapped up every mile. The problem for the young enthusiast is managing their budget, and only with hindsight have I realised that buying my Skoda was probably the most sensible options for my situation at the time, 18 and nearly 1 years driving under my belt, I’m a god at the wheel and I need power (1.8T power with the performance exhaust that backfires when easing off and goes like stink). However in reality on the average £12-14k a year for someone that age and insurance rightly high too, 18mpg isn't going to help. The car which is maybe still overlooked by the feds and can shock a few boy racers off a roundabout will still do 45mpg when you’re driving briskly. I spend more money on fuel than any other car related cost, close 2nd was tyres :p

Oh and go do a IAM course, I went on a Briskoda organised advanced driver days early this year and I owe great thank to the lads and ladies who took myself and my father out, my driving has improved, A lot safer and still with good speed and I think a lot more about the finer details in observations. Can also now really nail this one corner on my local road and with so much more car control, a good 15mph speed increase too :p

More seriously the roads are full of idiot drivers, but dont let this get mixed up with drivers who drive at speed when and were safe to, with a suitable vehicle. So if you class youself to be one of those 'good' drivers do somthing about it and prove you are, or atleast learn how to be (IAM etc);-). The Forest of Dean had somthing close to 20 young drivers killed in the 12months i was in sixthform, many of my friends knew some or most of them. Lets not forget driving is seriously real, enjoy it while you can but understand the consiquences of any action taken is real. You only know if a risk goes bad once.

Moving on, Great car for a young driver with a greater love for cars than just loud systems, fancy paint and the aerodynamics of a 5ft wave. And the chicks, their parents (father) dig the VAG build quality and safety haha.

Sorry for long post.

James.

Edited by Jimb0

Fabia 1.9 Sdi, 21, no NCB, got banned two years ago for 3 months for a SP50, means my insurance is stupid £750

That's not bad considering cheapest I can get is £550 at 28 years old on a 1.3 banger with no bans or points, and just 1 year NCB. I'd be well chuffed if I got banned and then had an insurance quote on a 1.9sdi like that at 21.

also, im a bus driver which i think makes me more of a risk lol

I don’t think you have to insure the bus as like a named vehicle with your car :p Is it not the case that bus and lorry drivers are 'high risk' due to their obvious lack of ability to drive the last 30mins of a 12hour shift? Which is of course a joke as lorry and bus drivers are probably the best drivers on the road, ergo cheap insurance? There are strict rules on time behind the wheel on all lorries which would surly mean they are suitable rested for the trip home imho.

On another point, Ref: my last post on IAM driving and the one bend I can now master with high speed with good control. On driving to work this morning it appears a slightly ‘done up’ silver saxo had gone too loud into the corner and slammed offside first into a tree on the inside of the corner :s No idea how it went that tits up but I honestly don’t know if anyone was killed, the car was a wreck. The road is a true driving road now it’s been re-laid, Bikers love it (B4235) but unfortunately it’s become rather dangerous, I know of a few young drivers who’ve trashed their cars in the last few months on this road. Goes to show the statistics of why us young-one have to pay though the nose for the more powerful car arn't lies.

Regards,

James.