Octy L&K 2.0 TDI 140 - Fuel Economy!!!

Picked up an Octavia L&K 2.0 TDi 140 in July second hand (24k on the clock), and after leaving the garage I discovered a turbo fault (it was cutting out and leaving me powerless).

Garage fixed it, and I've been motoring away fine, although I thought the mpg was very low (c45mpg average). The cars now done 32k, and if anything the economys getting worse. It doesn't sound great either.

Father-in-law has an elegance of the same age with the same engine, and we went a trip at the weekend, where I basically followed him for approximately 70miles. We stopped and I checked his fuel economy. On the same journey he had average 56mpg, and I had average 44.5mpg! :thumbdwn:

I'm only getting about 400-450miles from a tank of fuel, and I'm not sure why. I asked the garage, and all they would say is "the computer says its fine".

I'm spending a fortune on fuel, and ideas what it could be? What I could do? :confused:

I have a 2.0 TDI 140 Elegance Estate and my 'normal' figure is 45 mpg after 12k miles. I have topped 50 only once on a slow m-way trip with the a/c off etc.

Fuel economy for this engine seems to be hotly debated because its pretty well impossible to get the claimed figures - I've seen similar threads on the VW and Audi sites.

Fuel economy does suffer reportedly with a clogged air filter, but I wouldn't expect miracles. I would say your father-in-law's figure is more out of the ordinary than yours - what's his secret?

By my reckoning, you are only getting 36mpg if you are only getting 400 miles per 50 litre (2 in hand) tank - which does sound poor. I bet the L&K's electric seats are heavy...

The only other option is to go for a 1.9.

I Would agree you father in law's figure is rather good. I assume these figures are off his car computer. They can be a bit out sometimes. I have a 140 bhp DSG Octavia and during very mixed driving get about 47-48 mpg on the computer and 45mpg on brimming tank. I have noticed a drop in mpg since it has turned colder. I wonder how much power heated seats take ? Doesn't anyone know ?

I've had 65mpg (brim to brim) out of the car when taking it easy and I can state that changing to a new air filter at 20k miles (the first one) added a good 3mpg+ to average I was getting at the time.

I probably average about 52mpg from the car, but I do make progress when I can. If I take it easy, avoid sharp presses of the loud pedal and stick to about 1800rpm (62mph ish) on the motorways etc that will increase massively.

My 2.0TDI Elegance Estate has averaged about 48-49MPG over the last 4k miles, according to the trip computer.

I usually reckon on 5-600 miles per tank, doing a 8 mile (each way) daily commute, and a 300 miles round trip (mainly motorways) every other weekend. This includes occassional 50-60 mile trips on A and B roads.

I Would agree you father in law's figure is rather good. I assume these figures are off his car computer. They can be a bit out sometimes. I have a 140 bhp DSG Octavia and during very mixed driving get about 47-48 mpg on the computer and 45mpg on brimming tank. I have noticed a drop in mpg since it has turned colder. I wonder how much power heated seats take ? Doesn't anyone know ?

I doubt that much, I'd say that 3mpg is more down to the move to winter diesel.

Thanks gents.

We were going pretty slowat the weekend, 60-65mph, so thats why his economy was so good .... and why mines looks so poor!

Because of the previous fault (i.e. the turbo was all blocked with crap), could that be causing the issues / bloccking something further down the line?

Cheers :rolleyes:

Thanks gents.

We were going pretty slowat the weekend, 60-65mph, so thats why his economy was so good .... and why mines looks so poor!

Because of the previous fault (i.e. the turbo was all blocked with crap), could that be causing the issues / bloccking something further down the line?

Cheers :rolleyes:

If the intercooler is still full of manky oil then yes that could cause you some problems as could other issues if turbo made it into the engine.

As Alex (Dr Z) says get that looked at by somebody who is more skilled than looking and saying Computer says OK.

If you're in the right area, Lummox on here is quite handy with the cars so you might want to drop him a PM.

plus dont forget to check the air filter as cheezemonkhai suggested. the recommended 60,000 miles to change that skoda advise is just silly for an eight quid paper filter that can easily get clogged depending on where you live

Just as a comparison - I got a new L&K 140 DSG just over a month ago and after 3K miles I'm now getting around 550 miles to a tankful, and as it gets more miles under its belt I expect/hope it improves a bit more, so yours does seem low.

Just to add to the figures.

Mine is a 54 plate 2.0 TDi with 30k miles. I get brim to brim 40.4; 40.6 and 40.7 mpg actual measured figures. This is with mostly town driving on my commute to work which is 4.5 miles each way, half of which is a very long hill with a cold engine. I still save about £39 a month compared to my previous Golf 16V GTi so I'm not too worried. I have a very recent new airfilter too.

On a long run the MPG is fantastic.

(Edited to add - I drive like Sister Wendy)

HTH

Edited by Golf-Fiend
Nun Driving

For starters my L&K pushes out around 170bhp.

I keep on having to back off on the throttle compared to before, after fitting the DPT box as recommended by sister wendy (Quentin Wilson)

So far over 5,500 miles since I bought my car in september, the maxidot has always stated the average is well over 50mpg, which is as I know optimistic. probably about 5mpg less from my calculations.

The car has now done 67500 miles.

On a long journey on motorways - 350 mile round trip @ 65mph recently it returned 64mpg, & the following day I did the same trip but at 75 mph, it averaged 54mpg.

Compared to my 530d before, which averaged about 33mpg, this is fantastic. (and almost as quick as it is so much lighter (no sound proofing!)

Generally get 500-600 miles per tankfull.

Mike

We have now done 29800 miles in our 140 dsg Elegance.Our average mpg last time i looked worked out at 42 mpg of which 6000 miles pulling a 1350 klg caravan. Now those computer figures , I have seen ours anything from 64 mpg to 25 mpg but would not take these figures as gospel.Last journey was just over 600 miles and it recorded 50 mpg at near enough 70 mph most of the way, then again pulling the caravan for 470 miles came out at 28 mpg.Overall i think the mpg for these cars are good.

Picked up an Octavia L&K 2.0 TDi 140 in July second hand (24k on the clock), and after leaving the garage I discovered a turbo fault (it was cutting out and leaving me powerless).

Garage fixed it, and I've been motoring away fine, although I thought the mpg was very low (c45mpg average). The cars now done 32k, and if anything the economys getting worse. It doesn't sound great either.

Father-in-law has an elegance of the same age with the same engine, and we went a trip at the weekend, where I basically followed him for approximately 70miles. We stopped and I checked his fuel economy. On the same journey he had average 56mpg, and I had average 44.5mpg! :thumbdwn:

I'm only getting about 400-450miles from a tank of fuel, and I'm not sure why. I asked the garage, and all they would say is "the computer says its fine".

I'm spending a fortune on fuel, and ideas what it could be? What I could do? :confused:

Don't rely on the computer for an accurate reading, that can be as much as 10% out ! Check the consumption the old fashioned way.

I generally get 480-520 miles per tank, I always have roof bars on that don't help and there is always a varied selection of tools/spares/junk/tat in the boot.

My personal best is 621 miles thanks to 'super fuel light bingo' along with a massive economy drive.