Avoiding patrol cars following you

devonutopia

If the indicator isnt going to benefit anyone then they wont use it.

OTOH, if I can remark on you not doing it, then I can see you not doing it. If you're close enough behind me for me to identify that you are Police (or make/model type details), particularly at night, then I will benefit from knowing that you are taking the same route as me.

I only "don't signal" when I can see that, from my initial mirror check to I complete the turn, I will not meet another road user. For example, turning into or out of my road I can't see down it or the main road until I'm right on the junction, so I always signal. OTOH I rarely signal when turning into work because I can see about 10s each way (at NSL) so I know no-one will be in a position to benefit.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not bothered at all if followed. If a police car does appear behind then I assume they are on their way somewhere or going about their business and I've nothing to worry about.

The only time I've been stopped was when my insurance company (AON) hadn't passed the details onto the central computer system. Also, it turned out that he wanted to buy a 2.8 Capri and fancied a nosey around mine.

Many years ago when I owned a Fiesta diesel, I was driving up the A30 in Cornwall around 2am on a Sunday morning with my foot to the floor, averaging around 85-90 on a 60 limit road. There was one car behind me which kept a steady distance for around 10 miles. On the approach to a well lit roundabout I checked my mirror and to my horror realised it was a marked patrol car. I then drove the next mile bang on 60 until I entered a village and dropped to 30. I was cacking myself and waiting for the lights to come on and get pulled over but nothing happened. As I left the 30 limit and started to accelerate, the patrol car overtook me and I was so reliefed. I had to follow the patrol car all the way to the station as we lived just behind it and I was immensely relieved to get home without any drama.

I got pulled once for overtaking a learner on a wide 30, got told to produce, no points or anything *phew*

I just wonder for things like that where there is no actual physical record i.e. video evidence, etc. Is it officers discretion for what action is taken? I was obviously speeding to get round the learner, but the officer would not have had any idea to my actual speed, so might not necessarily be able to pin a certain speed to me. Just a wonder....

Other than that I dont generally speed, theres nothing Im in that much of a rush worth points or losing my license for, you just never know if those headlights in your mirror have blue ones next to them

i get stopped quite frequently by the filth, i often finish work very late or after midnight, in fact the same copper stopped me twice and breathalised me within the same 24 hour period once, i think he must have been lonely

Myself and Skodagirl have had cops behind us a few times since purchasing the Fabia and we seem to find that they follow us so far and then they realise we have clocked them in the mirror and then they peel off, I'm not scared of being pulled as been pulled over a couple of times by them and they give me no hassle.

last patrol car I tangled with I overtook (and I had the roof sign on!lol..):P

I was following a foriegn lorry, and T5 behind me... he moved out to the oppostie side of the road, but didn't overtake (he was just having a look...) so I backed off a bit, and pulled in a little, he went pas me and pulled in behind the lorry...

the lorry was quite slow 40 mph max, 60 road, we came off the next roundabout, and there is an ideal overtaking oppertunity (especially when hot hatch versus lorry moving away from standstill) and the T5 went pas the lorry, and I followed him (he wasn't very quick, don't think he even noticed me, he was obviously interested in the lorry), when we got the other side, he didn't speed up, but then seemed to notice me in his mirrors :rolleyes:, he pulled in to the left, and flew pas smoking him :D

note: obviously, I was just incidental in his quest for catching illegal foriegn lorry drivers! another reason we need more traffic cops on the road...

63 Ways To **** Off A police man

1. When you get pulled over, say "what is wrong, ossifer, there is no blood in my alcohol?"

2. When he asks why you were speeding, tell him you wanted to race.

3. When he talks to you, pretend you are deaf.

4. If he asks if you knew how fast you were going, say no, my speedometer only goes to......

5. Ask if you can see his gun.

6. When he says you aren't allowed, tell him I just wanted to see if mine was bigger.

7. Touch him.

8. When he asks why you were speeding, tell him you had to buy a hat.

9. Ask him where he bought his cool hat.

10. Refer to him by his first name.

11. Pretend you are gay and ask him out.

12. When he says no, cry.

13. If he says yes, accuse him of sexual harassment.

14. If the cop is a woman, tell her how ugly she is, but in a nice way.

15. If he asks you to step out of the car, automatically throw yourself on the bonnet.

16. When he asks you to spread them, tell him you don't go that way.

17. When he puts the handcuffs on, say "Usually my dates buy me dinner first"

18. Ask to be fingerprinted with sherbit, cause you don't like ink on your fingers.

19. After you sign the ticket and give it to him, say "Oops! That's the wrong name."

20. Bribe him with donuts, and when he agrees, tell him sorry, I just ate the last one.

21. When he comes up to the car, say "License and registration, please" right when he says it.

22. When he goes to read you your rights, sing "La La La, I can't hear you!"

23. Trip and fall into him.

24. Accuse him of police brutality when he pushes you away.

25. Before you sign the ticket, pick your nose. You have to sign with his pen.

26. Chew on the pen, nervously.

27. Clean your ear with the pen.

28. If it's a click pen, take it apart and play with the spring.

29. Ask if he has a daughter. If he says yes, say I thought the name sounded familiar.....

30. Ask him if he ever worked in a prison. If he says yes, ask him how the plumbing was.

31. Act like you are retarded.

32. When he's telling you what you did wrong, start repeating him, quietly.

33. Mumble to yourself.

34. When he tells you to stop, say what are you talkin about, DUDE?

35. Drive to the chippie and say hmmm....only 5 of you here tonight.......

36. Ask if they know how to make the donuts.

37. When he comes to the car, say I have a badge just like yours!

38. Ask if he watches Cops.

39. Ask if ever watched Cop Rock.

40. Giggle if he did.

41. Talk to your hand.

42. Ask if he knows somone named Rosy Palm and her Five Favorite Friends.

43. Accuse him of Sexual Harassment if he does.

44. When he frisks you, say You missed a spot, and grin.

45. When he asks to inspect your car, say there is no alcohol in my car, sir, the last cop got it.

46. Try to sell him your car.

47. Ask if you can buy his car.

48. If he takes you to the station, Ask to sit in front.

49. Play with the siren.

50. If you know him, say you had his wife for dinner.

51. If you don't know him, ask if you can have his wife for dinner. Oops...I meant OVER for dinner

52. Ask if he ever had pu-tang er.

53. If he asks what it is, point at him and giggle.

54. If there is someone else in the car, talk to each other in tongues.

55. When he acts confused, keep talking, look at him and laugh.

56. When you are in the back, touch his neck through the fencing.

57. Turn your head and whistle.

58. When he pulls out his batton, say what you going to do with that.

59. If you are female, say I don't do that on the first date.

60. If he sticks you in the back of the car, cower in the corner, suck your thumb, and whine.

61. Stare at his lights and say "Look at the pretty colors!"

62. Tell him you like men in uniform.

63. Ask if you can borrow his uniform for a Halloween party

(sorry, couldn't help it :P )

I think my car makes me look like a chav/drug dealer/scum or whatever, as I'm always being eyed up by the boys in blue. I've been pulled over for seemingly no reason 3 times since I've had it.

Never a problem though, just make sure I'm not doing anything wrong, the car is always legal etc. :)

Aren't they giving you a reason when they stop you Tom? I've only been pulled a couple of times but each of those times a reason has been given. If it were me, I think I would ask.

I think my car makes me look like a chav/drug dealer/scum or whatever, as I'm always being eyed up by the boys in blue. I've been pulled over for seemingly no reason 3 times since I've had it.

Never a problem though, just make sure I'm not doing anything wrong, the car is always legal etc. :)

You live in Cambridgeshire, in the Fens, and drive an R reg 328i.

Of course they think you're a drug dealing chav scum-bag.

We think you're a drug dealing chav scum :rofl:

How else can Tom afford soo many cars :P

I never worry if a copper pulls in behind me I just boot it and they can never keep up ;) must be my bog standard Fabia vRS, just way too quick for them :P

Pimp mobile! :P :pimp:

I have only ever been pulled over twice. First time was about 4.5 years ago, driving my dad's old mk2 astra. It had a bit of a bump the day before and obviously something had come loose in the light clusters which wasn't apparent when checked when the car was stationary. I was pulled for that reason and all was well.

Second time I was less pleased about. I was in the Fabia and I drifted about half a metre off the centre of the lane (still within the lane though) to avoid a sunken drain cover. I was pulled over and given a right ticking off (just by a panda driver too!) for "swerving in the road". I tried to explain but I appeared to be speaking to a brick wall. I was less than impressed with where I was pulled over too. There was a layby only 1/4 mile further up the road, but instead I was pulled over on a 40mph 4 lane carriageway on the brow of a hill, about 30 yards from a signal controlled junction!

I have the upmost respect for the Traffic Police (both from a professional and personal point of view), but I'm afraid the traffic knowledge and standards set by the Panda drivers (in this area at least) leave much to be desired.

I have the upmost respect for the Traffic Police (both from a professional and personal point of view), but I'm afraid the traffic knowledge and standards set by the Panda drivers (in this area at least) leave much to be desired.

the police drivers are graded 1-4... (any police reading , do please correct me, things may have changed) , 4/3 is the panda driver you're talking about (one of my pupils partners has just joined the police and was doing driver training) this just equates to the same sort of test a taxi driver/private hire driver has to pass, basically just doing everything correctly by the law of the road (and for the police , some basic persuit driving) grade 1 is the traffic police, who have to pass the highest standards of skill... these are the best drivers, although they sometimes seem to loose the basics... i.e signalling on roundabouts! :rolleyes: although I accept, there may be mitigating circumstances, where they are waiting on a radio call to see which exit they should take ect.....

to be honest, i have never had a problem with any traffic cops I've ever met (the last one was at the RR meet at awsome, the time before last weekend...., he could have been an @ss, and booked people like Jay for illegal number plates ect, but he was just interested in the cars like the rest of us were), but then I've never been pulled by a traffic cop for anything worse than speeding, so I guess I never will have a problem :thumbup:

My brother was unlucky one week:

Saturday night pulled over on way from Rugby club early hours in his Fiesta heap, breathalyser clean, no probs with the car, given his slip and sent on his way.

Sunday afternoon pulled over while driving my dads company car (3.2 V6 Vectra at the time) because it looked suspect for young gent to be driving the car, showed proof of insurance on sent on way with slip.

Wednesday evening pulled over riding his motorbike, they suspected his loud can. All ok after bike check, sent on way with slip.

Friday night driving back from the cinema with girlfriend in his clapped out Fiesta, pulled as 'a young man driving an old car' is suspicious for having no insurance/licence etc. All fine, sent on way with slip.

Saturday afternoon pulled over drving back from Rugby in dads company car due to a group of young lads in an unusual for the age car, this time has enough and produces slips for the rest of his stops, this leaves him being thoroughly checked out and eventually sent on his way.

Me and my dad mocked him for just being a **** driver and drawing attention to himself but fortunately this isnt the case (he's an IAM member like my dad now), it seems he was just unlucky. I was never pulled driving my dads company cars or more recently his Octy... must be the glasses making me look trustworthy :D

Years ago, I used to travel from Cambridge to Ipswich around lunchtime quite often.

In those days the A14 wasn't as busy as it is now, and you could usually do the trip without dropping below 90 (I had company cars in those days). On one occasion, I spotted a police motorcyclist coming up behind me, going a bit faster than me. I thought I'd been caught, but he went past me when I pulled into the inside lane.

I saw the same guy several times after that, and he seemed to go from Ipswich to Cambridge every day at a steady 100, without troubling anyone.

One of my colleagues tried keeping pace with him, and he still got ignored. Until a patrol car pulled him outside Cambridge, as the bike had radioed ahead!

Phil