Facelifted Car

Has anyone else heard the deal of zero VAT on the current car to help clear the decks for the Mk 2.5? I was in the dealer yesterday and the new lights and badge were way less attractive than 17.5% off! :-)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone else heard the deal of zero VAT on the current car to help clear the decks for the Mk 2.5? I was in the dealer yesterday and the new lights and badge were way less attractive than 17.5% off! :-)

Try looking down the page in the Octy II section - its been discussed twice already. ;)

i havent seen one in the flesh yet but i cant stand the look of the lights in those pics from earlier, plus im wandering with the new golf GTI out of wraps(not sure if it released yet though) will the new facelifted vrs eventualy get the new gti engine with 207bhp, or will we ahve tio wait for the mk 3 octavia vrs first

?????????????

Hi

does anyone know if Skoda plan to replace the 140 PD with CR in the Octavia, and if so, when?

Thanks

I'd like to know the same thing. If in next 12 months they don't get one, I'll maybe think of other brand. No more PD engines for me.

I'd like to know the same thing. If in next 12 months they don't get one, I'll maybe think of other brand. No more PD engines for me.

I agree with you. I feel Skoda are at risk of losing some of their market advantages: they've got a distinctive Octy facelift in January, but all variants except VRS still have ageing PD technology. And in the UK the well reviewed 1.8 TSI is only available Elegance spec upwards. DSG combinations are even fewer and none are eactly budget options (despite wider engine/spec/gearbox combos in Europe).

I found myself looking at a Kia Cee'd SW CRD Sport the other day. Not quite so quick as the Octy equivalent, and I've heard not a great ride, but refined, very spacious, well built and designed, probably reliable, and well equipped. Cost: just over £16k, Octavia estate 2.0 PD Elegance: over £18k. Just as Skoda deservedly achieved credibility a few years ago with models that were equal to or better than rivals and at a competitive price, so now are Kia and Hyundai starting to tread the same path. Skoda need to raise their game a bit I think.

I agree completely with your comments. The 1.8tsi Elegance is a shade under 16K now (or will be come the facelift) and as you rightly say it's a stonker of a car so why not consider that instead of a diesel Kia :confused:

I've got two diesels at the moment but will be trading my Touran in for the 1.8TSi Octy when the facelift is released as I simply cannot see the benefit in going diesel any longer when a petrol engine like the 1.8tsi exists. You'd have to do mega miles to recover the initial outlay and it's not like the difference in fuel economy or torque is that great any more?

For the life of me I cannot remember where I saw it but I do recall seeing a comment that the 2.0CR will be coming out in the second quarter.

I agree completely with your comments. The 1.8tsi Elegance is a shade under 16K now (or will be come the facelift) and as you rightly say it's a stonker of a car so why not consider that instead of a diesel Kia :confused:

I've got two diesels at the moment but will be trading my Touran in for the 1.8TSi Octy when the facelift is released as I simply cannot see the benefit in going diesel any longer when a petrol engine like the 1.8tsi exists. You'd have to do mega miles to recover the initial outlay and it's not like the difference in fuel economy or torque is that great any more?

For the life of me I cannot remember where I saw it but I do recall seeing a comment that the 2.0CR will be coming out in the second quarter.

Thanks for this info. The 1.8T sounds a great choice, especially in the new version when I hear both performance and economy improve. Pity it'll only be available with DSG in the £21k+ L&K version, at least initially!

Indeed, if you are sold on the DSG then only the L&K will provide that from the start.

I went to and fro trying to decide whether to go DSG or not. In the end I decided that there were just too many comments of 'niggles' or outright failures with the DSG for me to go that route. I understand that it's an excellent box and maybe only a minority that have an issue but with my luck I'd be in that minority! In comparison to the manual which has only had positive comments I didn't want to take the chance.

I was also sceptical about the longevity of the new dry clutch 7 speed DSG with the torque produced by the 1.8Tsi. That will only show up after a few tens of thousand miles and almost certainly out of warranty! That is one bill I didn't fancy picking up!

Of course this is only my opinion and despite what it seems I'm not trying to put you off DSG; I'm sure you'll have many thousand of happy motoring miles if you decide to eventually go that route.

Thanks Gazza. I'd like the DSG but not the L&K pricetag!

I do the miles to make diesel sensible but not essential, and frankly nearly 20k for the 140PD elegance DSG is a lot of money too, especially as the PD is likely to become obsolete. I might wait till the second quarter to see if a CR 140 arrives and then compare to the 1.8T non DSG to see if I want the DSG more than the 1.8T engine! It is possible by then we could hear if the availabiliy of the 1.8 DSG could be extended to other specs. I live in hope!

£21k might be the price tag but I bet no one will be paying anywhere near that with the deals on new cars at the moment. Bit off subject but last week saw a Focus CC 2.0. List price in the summer, just shy of £21k in its spec. Price now, just £14.995 + metallic before you haggle! Car wasn't a one off, they had several and all were unregistered. The motor trade has gone mad!!

I might change my mind when I see one in the metal, but I am not very keen on the look of the new car. I think the current Octavia (and the previous Fabia) is a great looking car (I bought one so...), but not sure I like the style direction in which Skoda are heading... the latest Fabia and Superb are both cars that I'd probably/possibly avoid because I can't quite bring myself to like the look of them :rolleyes:

but not sure I like the style direction in which Skoda are heading... the latest Fabia and Superb are both cars that I'd probably/possibly avoid because I can't quite bring myself to like the look of them :rolleyes:

Don't worry, they changed their designer again since. New guy has Audi and Bugatti heritage (he did the Veryon) :)

The only real improvement that I can see is in the siting of the buttoms on the MF steering wheel. The 'old' version has them round the curve where they do not fall readily to the thumb. The new one looks better!

According to a post on a Czech forum, the following transmission combinations will be available on the 1.6 TDI-CR on the dates specified, don't know about the 2.0 140BHP TDI-CR though.

1,6 TDI CR DPF 77kW, 5-manuál, 07/09

1,6 TDI CR DPF 77kW, DSG 7 speed. 11/09,

1,6 TDI CR DPF 77kW, 4x4 6-manuál, 11/09,