New Octy VAT free

Just seen this on Autocar:

Autocar - Skoda Octavia goes VAT free

If the link doesn't work then have a gander at Autocar main website, then have a look at the news section.

The article says it is the new Skoda (facelift).

However, What Car? say it is on the current model:

Skoda's 17.5% VAT discount on Octavias - What Car?

Confused now!

Edited by runboy

It's probably part of a drive to get rid of the last of the pre facelfit models they have in stcok.

Article says the new model.

Edit - you were right! Old model stock. Darn that first article, I got excited :)

Edited by runboy

Ignore the article, the Skoda adverts (in the papers today) make it quite clear that the offer is for the 2008MY ONLY - so in stock existing models

Ah thanks. Makes sense but the Autocar article said new models.

So WHAT!

15% off LIST for a OLD run out model................Oh i rush there!

Mike

Plus the usual £2k off for bartering?

But the Vrs model is will still be the current model - for a few months ;-)

Clearly the right thing to do. I had a similar experience in September when I was looking to purchase an Octy from a Kent dealership. Having had the test drive the salesman told me that there was no discount available from them, just the Skoda free upgrade that was on at the time. Like you I walked. It turned out that was fortunate because I then became aware of the facelift coming out so I decided to hold out anyway (and I joined Briskoda!). The salesman was relying on the fact that many buyers will just accept the Skoda deal and not think of the dealer mark-up. I know that I would have got something out of him but I was annoyed that his starting point was 'zip'. Don't get me wrong, dealers have to survive and I wouldn't like to be in their shoes but they shouldn't treat all customers the same - if the customer is clearly savvy treat us with a bit of respect, at least indicate a bit of movement to get negotiations going. If the deal can't be done then so be it but to stonewall right from the off just gets my back up!

For what's it's worth I got a call that evening from DTD - I could have got the car for £2200 off MRRP at that time which had it not been for the facelift I would have gone for.

Perseverance will pay off!

I even mentioned in my email that I would have thpught there would be more available over and above the VAT free offer but they didn't even acknowledge my comment in the reply. The quote I was after was based on a Vrs with all options except the front parking sensors and metallic paint (I was interested in candy white) so it was going to be a fair size order but their price with the VAT off was still way above a broker price without the VAT offer.

I have just ordered an '08 model L&K and the dealers will definitely negotiate over and above the 15% VAT reduction for the right car. I don't know whether this (or the VAT reduction) applies to any options as the L&K basically comes with everything anyway.

I don't want to stitch them up by saying how much, but I suspect there are some good deals available for anything which is in dealer stock.

Was in the dealers today............40,000 mile service....£775!

(Cambelt tensioner was u/s)

They had a vRS estate with DSG, no paddles.......old shape......+£23,000 !!!!!!!!!!!

I think Skoda have forgotern what they are!

Mike

to be fair and if its the one im thinking of it does have columbus and a ton of extras, that £23,000 is the screen price so expect you could get a fair wack off that at the moment if you asked. I wonder if its valid for the VAT off as well with it being already in the showroom?

if you want tax free motors join the army and get posted to germany. (if you dont mind going on army sponsered holidays-iraq etc, although there is plenty of sun and sand-lol)

i got my octy vrs with jumbo pack for 12500 brand new delivered. couldnt believe it.