New plate surround + legal pressed steel plates

Liking my new surround. Bloke from a local car-club got it whilst over in Czech Republic and then didn't want it! Bargain! :cool: Steel rear plate made up through local place that gets plates made via Dubmeister, so all above board. Great thing is, the CZ bit is part of the SURROUND, not the plate, so again - all above board. Kind of expecting to get pulled over in the next couple of months though.

Just needs a couple of CZ flags to go on it though [cough KTP cough! ;)] The old "Cesky Republika" one has gone on the white car so is not available to buy unfortunately, Jasc1988. :P

DSCN2542.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to be a harbinger of doom, but I do think that although your plate & surround combo might meet the letter of the law, it clearly is designed to circumvent the law, and therefore is still likely to get you done. Considering it's potentially points on your licence, I just don't see how it can be worth the risk.

I also have to admit to not understanding why you wouldn't want to carry your own national symbol on your registration, however much Czech cars, beer, scenery and women appeal to me, I'm still a UK national at heart;)

Does anyone know if It will just come with the standard GB blue bit or can dubmeister do the cz bit as well?

Ive just bought some legal plates from dubmeister and if you want legal ones they will come with the standard GB blue bit. You cant order them with anything else unless they are show plates but them the lettering/numbering isnt legal either.

Dubmeister - Where performance meets style!

I don't want to be a harbinger of doom, but I do think that although your plate & surround combo might meet the letter of the law, it clearly is designed to circumvent the law, and therefore is still likely to get you done. Considering it's potentially points on your licence, I just don't see how it can be worth the risk.

i know what youre saying too, i prefer to make sure there is nothing on the car that can give the authorities any reason to pull me. last thing you want (esp on a modded car) is to be pulled by a jobsworth who finds something wrong with an obscure ruling that is hidden away in law that no one knew was there or a lot of time wasted at the side of the road while jobsworth goes through the car trying to find something wrong.

With those plates, they might try to do J for attempting to pervert the course of justice.

:eek: Sounds harsh but then I don't see any laws about plate surrounds, only the plates. Can always play ignorant and just say I bought it on holiday whilst in Prague (which I kind of did....)

Jasc - the totally stock UK plastic plate fits fine in the Ceska surrounds.

:eek: Sounds harsh but then I don't see any laws about plate surrounds, only the plates. Can always play ignorant and just say I bought it on holiday whilst in Prague (which I kind of did....)

Jasc - the totally stock UK plastic plate fits fine in the Ceska surrounds.

? mines including the CZ bit is standard plate size but the CZ bit is detachable leaving the plate short... you get what i mean?? so even though the CZ bit is detachable the plate is too small... thats on mines anyway.. been fine for ages though as long as it isnt silly font should be fine

On mine, the plate fits fine into the gap, and the CZ plastic bit clips in and merely goes over the plate itself. I can only use steel plates though on the new one due to it's design (and being made for use with stock Czech plates I guess?)

On mine, the plate fits fine into the gap, and the CZ plastic bit clips in and merely goes over the plate itself. I can only use steel plates though on the new one due to it's design (and being made for use with stock Czech plates I guess?)

ahhh i see... very clever :thumbup:

jasc1988's are the same as mine, perfectly legal plates.

the 'CZ' is sat beside the plate but is not part of the plate itself. i've shown mine to an MOT station who at first didnt think my plates were legal (i needed a letter to say they were legal as i was up in court for my number plates) but when shown it was two seperate parts they seen nothing illegal about my plate itself. the plates themselves are perfect according to the rules, its just a way of getting passed it.

back on topic, looks good jason :D

I smell trouble ahead. The reg. plate might be legal however you are misrepresenting your country of origin which I believe is illegal. And what is wrong with the GB plates, be proud to be British!

Mind you I have seen British sports cars in Germany and they have GB plates because they wanna be different too.

There's just no way you're not going to get pulled over. They look illegal. And trying as hard as you can to legally circumvent the law doesn't mean they won't try to prosecute you.

And you'd better be 101% certain there is nothing else wrong with your car because if there is they'll have that too.

And then there's the inconvenience factor. They'll stop you when you're in a hurry, or they'll make you late. And you might just find yourself getting followed around by alert traffic officers looking for that smart-alec in the tuned Skoda with the completely legal illegal looking number plate who made them look like mugs when they last pulled you over.

Basically, you're asking to get pulled over. Why make yourself a target?

jasc1988's are the same as mine, perfectly legal plates.

the 'CZ' is sat beside the plate but is not part of the plate itself. i've shown mine to an MOT station who at first didnt think my plates were legal (i needed a letter to say they were legal as i was up in court for my number plates) but when shown it was two seperate parts they seen nothing illegal about my plate itself. the plates themselves are perfect according to the rules, its just a way of getting passed it.

Didn't you think the whole taking time off work to go to court thing was a bit of a waste of time and taxpayers money? And aren't you just asking to get pulled over every time you go out of Lothian & Borders patrol area?

I really don't see the attraction myself. Sorry. I just don't.

Didn't you think the whole taking time off work to go to court thing was a bit of a waste of time and taxpayers money? And aren't you just asking to get pulled over every time you go out of Lothian & Borders patrol area?

I really don't see the attraction myself. Sorry. I just don't.

It won't be us paying for it, it will go on to his court costs.

erm, again, to the last two posts, did you not read the bit about his plates being legal?! So why shouldnt he fight it?! Anyone would think he bloody killed someone, its only a set of (LEGAL) numberplates?!

I have no doubt that they are legal. But that hasn't stopped KTP getting pulled over, charged and then having to go to court to keep the points off his licence. And even the OP reckons he's going to get stopped because they look illegal. I'm all for people defending themselves, but it just looks like too high a price to pay to have CZ on your numberplates rather than nothing at all or a GB indicator instead.

I'm obviously too old to appreciate baiting the authorities anymore:P

Ive got a CZ oval sticker on my car , nothing on the plates tho , I thought you could put anything you wanted on your plates as long as the number/letter size was legal and the font was ok??

Lothian & Borders Police apparently don't think so. And from my experience they're pretty reasonable.

Lothian & Borders Police apparently don't think so. And from my experience they're pretty reasonable.

Legally, you can only have "GB" or the "Euro stars" on the side of your plate, and the font/spacing has to be XX52 XXX or X111 XXX or XXX 111X etc (you get the picture?)

By the way, there are no penalty points attributable to number plate offences - only a £30 fixed penalty...(and I tend to save those for the number plates that have black/yellow dots to change 1s to Ls or 8s to 0s, or 1s to is etc rather than just being slightly misspaced):thumbup: