New plate surround + legal pressed steel plates

Legally, you can only have "GB" or the "Euro stars" on the side of your plate

That's good because my plate has nothing on the side of it, except BS stamp, postcode & name of supplier. The attraction is just to be "different" - It's the same reason ooodles of dubs went and got "D" plates, which are now illegal. I'm going to have a rummage around the DVLA site at some point and see what rules, if any, apply to the surround itself.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, there are no penalty points attributable to number plate offences - only a £30 fixed penalty[/Quote]

Good to know. At least their licences are safe, just their wallets in jeopardy now.

...(and I tend to save those for the number plates that have black/yellow dots to change 1s to Ls or 8s to 0s, or 1s to is etc rather than just being slightly misspaced):thumbup:

Villains, all of them;)

sorry to threadjack a little... but does anyone know where i can get some custom number plate surrounds made up? I want to be able to add my own text below. Thinking of buying some of the briskoda ones from the shop and doing it myself but if anyone knows somewhere...

So when did it become an offence to have anything bar GB or Euro stars on the side of your plate? I remember (it doesnt seem that long ago) when you could have your car make or an RS badge or what have you on plates at the side...is this all now illegal too???

why would he pay any court costs if he's found to have done nothing wrong in the eyes of the law?

I did wonder that myself, but never have been through the process, I took the guy at his word.

I think a lot of people on this thread have missed what's going on here, because it's actually really clever. I don't agree with the concept, but you have to acknowledge its audacity.

Basically, the number plate regulations don't define the size of the plate. They define the font, the font size, and the minimum distance between the font and the edges of the plate. Plus, there's the extra stuff about being reflective, displaying the standard code, the maker's postcode, stuff like that.

In the case of the black car above, here's the trick - remember that we still have the option of having the euro country displayed. This car's registration plate doesn't have that (despite what appearances may suggest).

Anyway, what's attached to the front of that car is the registration plate - now that's just the white bit. This white part complies with all the regulations for a registration plate and is therefore legal. Now here's the trick - this perfectly legal registration plate just so happens to have a completely separate blue euro country "sticker" (for want of a better description) fixed to the front of the car right beside the plate in the same position it would be if it was part of the plate, but it's not - it's not physically attached to the plate, but to the plate holder. It may be made of the same materials, it may even have originally been part of a "normal-sized" plate that's been cut into two parts, but from a legal perspective, it's just a decorative badge - like your AA or RAC badge.

I just think that's a really clever bit of lateral thinking...

Anyway, all this will change when the "anti-tamper" (that's what they're being sold to us lot as...) sticky and RFID-enabled plates come along...

I think a lot of people on this thread have missed what's going on here, because it's actually really clever. I don't agree with the concept, but you have to acknowledge its audacity.

Basically, the number plate regulations don't define the size of the plate. They define the font, the font size, and the minimum distance between the font and the edges of the plate. Plus, there's the extra stuff about being reflective, displaying the standard code, the maker's postcode, stuff like that.

In the case of the black car above, here's the trick - remember that we still have the option of having the euro country displayed. This car's registration plate doesn't have that (despite what appearances may suggest).

Anyway, what's attached to the front of that car is the registration plate - now that's just the white bit. This white part complies with all the regulations for a registration plate and is therefore legal. Now here's the trick - this perfectly legal registration plate just so happens to have a completely separate blue euro country "sticker" (for want of a better description) fixed to the front of the car right beside the plate in the same position it would be if it was part of the plate, but it's not - it's not physically attached to the plate, but to the plate holder. It may be made of the same materials, it may even have originally been part of a "normal-sized" plate that's been cut into two parts, but from a legal perspective, it's just a decorative badge - like your AA or RAC badge.

I just think that's a really clever bit of lateral thinking...

Anyway, all this will change when the "anti-tamper" (that's what they're being sold to us lot as...) sticky and RFID-enabled plates come along...

We'll have to differ about how clever it is to try and look illegal, get pulled over by the police (who ought to have something better to do, like catch criminals, but stopping motorists with illegal looking number plates is so much easier), waste everyone's time and potentially get forced into court like KTP to save yourself a £30 fixed penalty ticket. I just think it's daft. And I'm still not entirely certain that they couldn't argue that you had purposely attempted to curcumvent the legislation, which is probably an offence in itself.

Legally, you can only have "GB" or the "Euro stars" on the side of your plate

Ah so the number plates I haven't put on my car yet with the St George Cross are technically illegal :thumbdwn: I was under the impression you could also have the St George Cross, the White Saltire, the Welsh Red Dragon flag, and the Union Jack. I had the plates made believing them to be legal based on BBC News | SCOTLAND | Flag day for patriotic drivers and info on the DVLA website I read at the time said they were going to be legal (although did not say they were legal or that they were illegal). I was also under the impression that the place making them being DVLA registered would only make fully legal plates.

Obscuring a number plate (like appears to be being done here) I believe is illegal. For example BBC NEWS | England | Manchester | Driver fined for England sticker

We'll have to differ about how clever it is to try and look illegal, get pulled over by the police (who ought to have something better to do, like catch criminals, but stopping motorists with illegal looking number plates is so much easier), waste everyone's time and potentially get forced into court like KTP to save yourself a £30 fixed penalty ticket. I just think it's daft. And I'm still not entirely certain that they couldn't argue that you had purposely attempted to curcumvent the legislation, which is probably an offence in itself.

I also don't agree with the idea. It just seems like a whole lot of hassle for not much gain.

But this guy is complying fully with the letter of the law, if not the intent. If it's possible to do that, then the law needs to be redrafted.

There's just no way you're not going to get pulled over. They look illegal. And trying as hard as you can to legally circumvent the law doesn't mean they won't try to prosecute you.

And you'd better be 101% certain there is nothing else wrong with your car because if there is they'll have that too.

And then there's the inconvenience factor. They'll stop you when you're in a hurry, or they'll make you late. And you might just find yourself getting followed around by alert traffic officers looking for that smart-alec in the tuned Skoda with the completely legal illegal looking number plate who made them look like mugs when they last pulled you over.

Basically, you're asking to get pulled over. Why make yourself a target?

Why would you be a target if you are 100% legal,about time the police stopped cracking down on motorist and caught some real criminals

why would he pay any court costs if he's found to have done nothing wrong in the eyes of the law?

Because a court can find you not guilty, but not award costs.

If you've been taking the p*ss and annoyed the judge or used a technicality to get around the law, they they just don't award you costs and so you end up with a big bill.

If you could have averted the whole thing without going to court by withholding evidence etc, then they could even award the other sides costs against you.

about time the police stopped cracking down on motorist and caught some real criminals

Correct me if i'm wrong, but one of the main reasons why they crack down on illegal number plates is because car cloners and theives often use them to disguise cars. Thats why you need a postcode and the details of who made the plates visible (who by the way must be registered with the DVLA) so that its completely tracable. Car cloners ARE real criminals, as are car theives i'm sure you'll agree.

If you're buying number plates, you must have the V5 of your document on hand. If where you're buying them from doesn't ask for it, they'll technically be illegal as they can't be traced :P

As far as i'm aware, the only logos you're allowed on the plate are that of your country of origin for "patriotic reasons" which would be the euro symbol with the country code below. st george flags and pictures of your dog are illegal (from what i've read) and so are all slogans on the plate face itself (surrounds ok?).

Showing CZ on your car when its not registered in that country could very well be illegal, or at least frowned upon. More of a risk than i'd personally take to be honest just for the sake of the looks.

Why would you be a target if you are 100% legal,about time the police stopped cracking down on motorist and caught some real criminals

They'll pull you over because the plate looks illegal. The fact it's theoretically not can only be explained to the nice police officer once you're pulled over and (s)he's probably asked you for your details and started writing out whatever it is they write out for a £30 fixed penalty ticket.

Other than that, I do agree with your sentiment.

If your number plate is only slightly illegal (ie wrong country badge or no post code; but correct font, spacing and no extra dots or lines) then as long as you are polite and friendly, I can't see that any Police officer is going to give you a ticket for it. I certainly wouldn't.

My "rule" is that as long as the font is correct and the characters aren't misspaced or altered, then it's ok.

I do particularly hate the "german style" plates like this German Number Plates and License Plates

If your number plate is only slightly illegal (ie wrong country badge or no post code; but correct font, spacing and no extra dots or lines) then as long as you are polite and friendly, I can't see that any Police officer is going to give you a ticket for it. I certainly wouldn't.

My "rule" is that as long as the font is correct and the characters aren't misspaced or altered, then it's ok.

I do particularly hate the "german style" plates like this German Number Plates and License Plates

Q is - would my pic in post #1 rouse your suspicions and would you pull me over? Even if subsequently it all turned out ok? :)

Q is - would my pic in post #1 rouse your suspicions and would you pull me over? Even if subsequently it all turned out ok? :)

Personally...I wouldn't pull you over, although I know a few that might:eek:

As long as the ANPR cameras can read it - I can't really see a problem. (and contrary to popular belief, we DO still have discretion on almost all matters relating to Road traffic laws)

Tell you what - if you get pulled over, tell the policeman/woman (note my political correctness!!) that Jonnycatbiscuit said it was okay - then you'll be fine!:thumbup:

Edited by jonnycatbiscuit
typo

As far as i'm aware, the only logos you're allowed on the plate are that of your country of origin for "patriotic reasons" which would be the euro symbol with the country code below. st george flags and pictures of your dog are illegal (from what i've read) and so are all slogans on the plate face itself (surrounds ok?).

St George's Flags, St Andrew's Crosses, and Welsh Dragons are all actually permissible, along with ENG, SCO and CYM respectively.

St George's Flags, St Andrew's Crosses, and Welsh Dragons are all actually permissible, along with ENG, SCO and CYM respectively.

I may have forgotten to include this link in my previous post BBC NEWS | Wales | Plea to legalise flags on plates It says apparently it was promised to make them legal in 2001, but as of March 2008 they are in fact NOT legal. In fact I had some George Cross ENG plates made up that I haven't put on yet and not sure if I will (was convinced they were legal at the time I had them made).