Clutch info/help required!

5th and 6th slip is pretty normal, my Fabia did this from nearly new. There was at one point a modded pressure plate to sort that issue.

If you are thinking of going a bit further then its worth doing rhe job properly then yor sorted (until you go for a diff...lol).

Personally i'd got for an uprated clutch and a DMF if your not going that mad. Xav kept the DMF on my old car but had it resurfaced to match the clutch.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine has just started doing this, mainly in 5th so far although it has done it once in 3rd too. It's had the remap on for 6 months and about 6k at 300ft/lb. I was expecting the map to affect the clutch but not quite so soon as I do feed in the power quite gradually and rev it out as opposed to nailing it at low revs.....but if a standard clutch can slip like this as per above even from new it stands to reason a mapped car will eat a clutch quite quickly. Ah well.

I'm waiting on a quote for a Sachs organic clutch (3 piece and fitted) from Awesome now but I'm not expecting much change from £850 inc vat TBH.

Why can't they make it like the Vauxhalls of old....a nice removable plate so you can service the clutch easily and not have to take the gearbox/ engine out/ roof off to do it. Having to dismantle so much stuff to get to a serviceable part is really bad design.

I may have a supplier who can do the 4 paddle Sachs kit for £508+Vat!!!! ;) But i'd still need to get a new DMF too!

Isnt there a couple of suppliers for the DMF? LUK & Sachs - do both fit the same? which is better? would they both fit with the uprated Sachs unit?

If one was to take any more power out of their car, I'd suggest they'd change their DMF into a SMF..

No use paying for the clutch being taken out and only the disc (and maybe layout) being changed, and then after a while paying again for the same job but this time because of the DMF..

Of course if you drive like grannies do (sorry ;)) you'll have no problem but then again what's the use of having more power in your car?

That's just my opinion though, everybody can do as they wish.

Mine has an uprated clutch, but retains the dmf, and has shed loads of torques, and although the previous owner tried to kill it, and I do my very best, it is absolutely fine.

As said, booting it at low revs will kill it within a short space of time.

The bottom line is how much confidence you have in a VW gearbox handling the torque peaks that an SMF allows into the drivetrain. Many people have got away with it, but they are probably careful. VW gearboxes are not the strongest out there, so I would always use a DMF with a standard car.

Most of the torque peaks are at idle speeds, hence the gear chatter with an SMF at idle. Keeping the clutch in at idle will prevent gearbox damage, but reduce release bearing life, and increase clutch finger wear. A great solution would be auto engine cut off and restart as used in some high end cars.

Since my car is staying standard, I am just glad to see the big price reduction in standard clutch and flywheel kits :D

The bottom line is how much confidence you have in a VW gearbox handling the torque peaks that an SMF allows into the drivetrain. Many people have got away with it, but they are probably careful. VW gearboxes are not the strongest out there, so I would always use a DMF with a standard car.

Most of the torque peaks are at idle speeds, hence the gear chatter with an SMF at idle. Keeping the clutch in at idle will prevent gearbox damage, but reduce release bearing life, and increase clutch finger wear. A great solution would be auto engine cut off and restart as used in some high end cars.

Since my car is staying standard, I am just glad to see the big price reduction in standard clutch and flywheel kits :D

6 speed diesel box is quite well known for being quite sturdy,mine has had 12k of solid abuse with a 9lb billet ally smf if that won't kill it nothing will(it is quite partial to a rev to 4k then drop the clutch in second for a quick launch:D)

6 speed diesel box is quite well known for being quite sturdy,mine has had 12k of solid abuse with a 9lb billet ally smf if that won't kill it nothing will(it is quite partial to a rev to 4k then drop the clutch in second for a quick launch:D)

hmmm same here... 30k on a Helix with SMF and its all good and i like to change gears with a bit of force :D

I have no confidence in VAG gearboxes at all - hence my reason to probably keep the DMF! I had 3 gearboxes in 3 years in my first Mk4 Polo 1.6 8v!

I'm more than likely going to go for a Sachs Organic clutch and cover plate - along with a new DMF (Sachs OEM one??) and a new slave cylinder. Local gargae has a VAG trained tech and he said he would tackle it! :)

Sachs Organic with uprated pressure plate etc etc = works fine for most.

It has not missed a beat for me :)

Thats what I was going to go for probably too! Did you keep the std DMF? did you replace it at the time the clutch was done?

Sent an inquiry to Jabbasport if they had a torsion damped clutch disc and a SMF that would fit for my Fabia over a week ago, and no answer from them yet :(

Same thing with Sachs, no answer..

Wonder what I'm doing wrong :<

Been trying to be polite for both but it seems they're ignoring me completely :/

I've phoned Jabba - Awesome & C&R all the prices are pretty close to eachother. Jabbasport said they would give me 5% off cause I mentioned Briskoda.

Awesome quoted for a Sintered Sachs kit at about £500 + VAT

Jabba quoted on an organic Sachs kit at £544 inc VAt & delivery

C&R quoted on each part that was available from Sachs!

Would still need to source my own DMF if I wanted it replaced - Sachs do and OEm one for about £174!

Only going to do this once so i'm probably going for the Sintered Sachs clutch kit along with a new DMF

Just a quick update - I've been trying to adjust my driving style a bit to see if I can either make the clutch slip or make it not slip! If i floor it in 5th before 2000rpm then it tends to slip a little. But if I change down an extra gear and get the revs and boost up and drive it through the gears then it never slips, even if i'm quite harsh!

I maybe just need to get use to this new technology! ;)

• 1 month later...