Fabia vRS on the Autobahn

This year I will have the opportunity to visit friends in Germany and I will be driving. I am having a full service/cambelt before leaving. I will enjoy having a run along the Autobahn for quite a few miles (or should is say kM) and as it has no restriction I was fancying to have a blast of speed if the contitions and road are clear.

I have not yet been over 75 in my car in the 6 months I have owned it and was wondering how it feels in them to go faster. Are they stable at a fast speed? What is the top cruising speed? Do they overheat over a long period of fast cruising? What is the top speed on a straight road?

Anyone who has had the Autobahn experience in a Fabia vRS please do share. It may well be absolute rubbish over 80 and if that is the case then to be warned is to be pre-armed:P.

TH

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a private track I've been up to 105mph in mine and it feels every bit as stable there as it does at 75 on the motorway. It does start to suffer terribly with it's completely unaerodynamic shape, though. Obviously sudden changes of direction at that speed are out of the question (I'm sure I don't need to say that to someone older and with much more driving experience than me ;)) but that's the case with pretty much any family hatchback.

I would say, before going at higher speeds (this should really be done frequently anyway):

1) Check visually the quality of the sidewalls and contact surfaces of your tyres

2) Check that the tyre pressures are correct and consistent (two fronts the same, two backs the same)

also on a private road i have had 130mph and the car felt very stable and it didnt' at all feel like it was going to shred to pieces like on other cars i've been in!

i did however get a good B*****ing by kev at jabba when at the pub as he said driving at that speed for consitant times could cause a lot of damage!

dont remem what he said would be damaged but will find out.

I had about 120 at 'The Ring' in September, felt fine but as jasc1988 has said above - I dont tend to go above 100 really as I get scared I'll damage my car. Not sure if I'd of had the same confidence though in a standard vRS with no handling mods

There's not a lot of derestricted Autobahn left as us Brits remember them. A lot of it is now normal sorts of speeds 70/80mph although cruising at three figures will still see you moving out of the way of continental drivers who may make you feel like you're stodd still!

I've done a bit of continental driving and you do have to watch yourself, if anyone's gonna get pulled it's you, and it's usually on the spot fines or say goodbye to your car.

As Shark said, there is not a great deal of "de-ritricted" autobahn left. And where there is, it's a recomended speed limit of 130 kph. If there is an accident and if it's your fault or not, if you are doing over the 130kph, they will blame you and do ya! Also insurance is not valid, third party included, so getting sued is likely.

I used to sit aroung 90mph, as it can be easier to keep up speed rather than have to accelrate or break hard to overtake, while avoiding the Mercs!

Just keep your eyes peeled behind you, as the come from no where, even in busy conditions. The Germans don't always pay attention to the "restricted" parts, so be carefull, just because they are hoofing it don't mean it's ok with the cops, and fines take about 3 months to come through.

They are just generally good road networks, much better than here, but the speed gets a bit boring after a while, crusing is much more easy!

Have fun!

Easy cruises at 100mph. Before I had mine remapped it would touch 130mph since then however I suspect near 140mph.

I wouldnt advise cruising over 110 I forgot what you call it but its when the car goes into limp mode I think it shuts the turbo off due to over heating this happend to me on a two hour run once. Nothing wrong but to avoid the turbo going pop it just shut itself off.

I recently did a 300km run with 180+km/h speeds. Absolutely no problems, as long as you don't forget to leave it to cool down a couple a minutes after that. The car feels really stable at speeds up to 200km/h. After that it starts accelerating very slow due to the "fridge-style-aerodynamics". I've seen speeds up to 230km/h on the clock for about 10 minutes run. No issues of any kind. :rolleyes:

PS: Don't expect nice MPG with that kind of speed. :)

also on a private road i have had 130mph and the car felt very stable and it didnt' at all feel like it was going to shred to pieces like on other cars i've been in!

i did however get a good B*****ing by kev at jabba when at the pub...quote]

You found a pub on a private road where you could speed? LMAO :rofl:

I work on a runway, and do 100+ offen.

The Polly bushes and a proper suspension st up did alot for stability. Id say a must.

HTH. Dave

I hear what Littlebull is saying, I put my Furby into limp mode on a track last year, dropped 1 too many a gear and did a 'Clarkson'. Lets just say my last few laps were a little more relaxed! Car was perfectly fine once I'd restarted it and let it cool a bit though!

I forgot to add that if you have a heavily mapped stock turbo you may not want to keep it at high boost for too long, as the maps tend to push the stock turbo a fair bit.

Mine has/had a stage 2 hybrid + FMIC.

When you use the extra power, making sure the cooling (water & oil) is spot on becomes more important, and letting it cool down (just drive it at sensible speeds for a bit) won't harm it :)

i did however get a good B*****ing by kev at jabba when at the pub as he said driving at that speed for consitant times could cause a lot of damage!

dont remem what he said would be damaged but will find out.

You' have to show me that private road near Peterborough, cough cough

I know I can say nothing of the engine because mine is just a 1.4 but mine at 100mph feel as stable as it does at 60-70, seems to just take it in its stride. I'm talking about suspension really.

I went from Frankfurt to Munich in mine at an average speed of 116mph (true by SatNav). It was off the clock most of the time, and on the long downhill stretch after Nuernberg I was seeing 145mph. I had no overheating issues at all, and apart from the fact that cooked the brakes on a couple of occasions and it getting a bit lairy once on a long sweeping corner, I had no issues with it at all. I have to say I surprised a few people accellerating away from them at an indicated 100mph:D