Octy II2008.5 goes TOO well & mpg too good - why???

Just a discussion on the A5 platform (in a Skoda Octavia II, quite a big car longer than the Golf) 1.9PD 105hp 5-speed.

I drive a lot of pd's and pre-pd's and pd always are around 10mpg down on a good VE engine. So, I was pretty shocked when I had this nearly new car for a week and:

1) it runs SO well. I drive VRS's, Audi TT's etc, this is only 105 HP but the engine sounds so crisp and the way it would happily cruise over 100mph if you let it, just breathing on the throttle gets 80mph @ 60mpg, great 50-70mph pulls etc. It also noticably 'rolls' well, needing long periods of no or very little throttle at fast speeds with very slight inclines, dispite 205 tyres which are not narrow.

2) Overall I have been getting 57mpg average going as fast as traffic allows. Driving carefully (up to 60mph) on a cross country run, I got 65mpg. Even if driven over/around 80mph it will deliver over 60mph, when my 1.8T would do 23mpg to keep up the same speed! (private test track for that please) Round town, at steady 30/40mph speeds I get 70-100mpg, with the stop start it's still up in the mid 50's minimum.

Essentially I'm wondering what has gone into the latest/last of the 1.9pd's as it seems significantly better than the pd100/130/150 in the way it runs/mpg. Even though it's 5hp down on the old 110tdi VE which is my fave for economy, it puts the power down in a way that makes it much more competent, you would really struggle to keep up with it in a 110 when in the Octavia II 105 you are just driving normally without even trying, zero fuss - pulling well in 4th from below 1500 - over 4,000 no noise no fuss just keeps on pulling.

The car has 7,000 miles on it so it's not even loosened up properly either.

Figures are Imperial (UK) mpg.

Anyone got any clues as to what's going on? It throws the A5 body around like it's a light car and I'm sure the A5 is heavier too! Traditionally mpg's have only got worse since the VE (more emmission regs, dpf/cat etc, retarded timing) has anyone else experienced this bucking of the trend on the 105pd or later cars? The 1.4 roomster tdi I had previously did not do as well!

Greg.

Our old pool car was a 105PD as the MPG was amazing. It had a hard life and was driven hard, but MPG and power that it gave was brilliant. Thats why I'm slightly dissapointed with my 2.0PD as it gives no where near the MPG of the 105.

Like you said, the 105 was quite happy sitting on the motorway doing 100mph.

105 go better then a 140...

same car one engine has 35bhp more and a stack more torque and the other one is quicker.

Sorry am I missing something. Also it's only the PD170 that's falling out that I know of.

Don't get me wrong the PD140 isn't the best engine every, but lets have a little bit of realism in with some of the statements. Both are good engines, but both have different design objectives.

Actually it's a Skoda fleet car, I just had it for the week while another was in for warranty repair.

I don't think it's remapped, being 7k from new and a Skoda car, it doesn't have the 'whoa' scrabble of the tyres and shove in the back that a good pd130 does, however it's nearly as good but from lower rpm, while sounding crisper and somehow putting it down better without trying. Sort of deceptive how fast it goes in a few seconds off a roundabout, without feeling like it really was working hard at all. IE off a medium size roundabout from a standing start out of a 2 lane exit, by the time the 2 lanes merge to one a hundred or so yards later it will quite happily be up in the 70's/80's and losing licence if not careful without any sort of boyish driving. A very, very competent performer in my book.

Greg.

Did you buy it brand new?

If not the previous owner may have had it remapped which would explain why it feels particulary spritely.

I'm not saying that it is faster on a stopwatch than a 140, it isn't. The 140 is swift. But it sounds better, and while a 140 goes well, like a 140 should, I'd describe this as going a lot better than it should. It also makes less fuss about it than the 140, it feels like 'okay 140, you got there first, but I'm 2 seconds behind exactly and the driver wasn't trying'.

It's late I'm probably making a strange analogy, however good to see from the comments that how well the 105 goes/drives and the exception mpg compared to the 140/other pd's is not just noticed by me.

It's unbelivable really, my Peugeot 405 estate was a lot lighter and had 90hp, so around the same bhp/ton yet it wouldn't keep up with this in a MONTH of sundays and you'd be frightening the life out the passengers wringing it's neck trying. This, you don't even know you are trying. I have to try a lot harder in my 1.8T and keep putting my foot down when I need to, it doesn't coast along on fumes the same at all!

Anyhow - anyone got any guesses why the 105 might be better? Any design changes, any upgrades to the pd unit injectors? Anyone got any press releases from it?

Greg.

I've seen the Mk2 PD105 Octy stay with a Saxo VTS, not something i would have expected...but then again the Octy in question doesn't have aircon. So less weight to carry.

Mines fairly nippy....but on the motorways it does seem to be sluggish up to about 3000rpm in and then it starts picking up.

Actually it's a Skoda fleet car, I just had it for the week while another was in for warranty repair.

Are the mpg figures calculated fill-to-fill or what the MFD is saying ? On my Transporter the MFD figure can be up to 20% optimistic.

As far as the performance goes, the car may just be a "tolerance freak" or even be using more boost than it is supposed to (ie a manufacturing error).

If it is that good and you like it that much it maybe you should try to buy it (either now, or wait for when it comes due for disposal by Skoda fleet). :thumbup:

I to have the 105 PD its done 120,000 ex police car it feel like its got alot more bhp than 105 its easily as quick as my Dads Volvo V70 D5 thats got 180 bhp tho this is much heaver car. maybe mine is remapped but still its much better than I expected when I brought it.

The mpg works out cheaper to run than the LPG Ford Focus Ive got.

Just wish it had a 6 speed gearbox

Martin

Yes, other than I don't have the cash/would want an estate I must admit to thinking the very same thing...

I didn't have it long enough to brim to brim, but I did do a lot of miles and judging by the £20 it took to get the gauge back higher than it was, my gut feeling is that it was right. In £ per mile, my car would have used over twice as much for sure.

I just wish the dials were as large & clear as on the mk1, the plastics looked as good and the dash had a bit more style. The mk1 l&k is a nice place to be, it was a basic model but this mk2 left me squinting at the dials (hate tha double calibrated speedo with the higher numbers all scrunched up) and generally unimpressed. My favourite is the C5 Audi A6, which is similar to the facelift Sharan. Like a cockpit!

Greg.

Are the mpg figures calculated fill-to-fill or what the MFD is saying ? On my Transporter the MFD figure can be up to 20% optimistic.

As far as the performance goes, the car may just be a "tolerance freak" or even be using more boost than it is supposed to (ie a manufacturing error).

If it is that good and you like it that much it maybe you should try to buy it (either now, or wait for when it comes due for disposal by Skoda fleet). :thumbup:

How fast do you go, the gearing is tall :eek:

2,500rpm and you are going fast, 3k and aren't you doing over 90 or something?

I guess 6 speed would be nice but I think you would have to regularly do fast outside lane work to notice it.

Greg.

I to have the 105 PD its done 120,000 ex police car it feel like its got alot more bhp than 105 its easily as quick as my Dads Volvo V70 D5 thats got 180 bhp tho this is much heaver car. maybe mine is remapped but still its much better than I expected when I brought it.

Martin

Martin

looking at the specs that volvo is pretty damned heavy at nearly 1800Kg but is still 3 seconds quicker to 60 which is quite a difference!!

looking at the specs that volvo is pretty damned heavy at nearly 1800Kg but is still 3 seconds quicker to 60 which is quite a difference!!

It's supposed to be, but is it in real world? Also, never any paper figures for how quick the 0-60 is using 50% throttle and 2,500rpm max which is an average brisk acceleration and how 'quick' it feels to drive to test.

Would love to see more figures like that in tests.

Greg.

the trouble with that is its very subjective and also every car is setup different, with modern cars and their drive by wire throttles the pedal action isn't linear and 50%pedal action might actually be 80% or more throttle.

Good to hear some praise for the 105 PD as fitted in my Octy II with 114.5k miles on the clock.

My car pulls cleanly from low down the range and will overtake in fourth or fifth with little drama.

With well damped suspension and 55 section tyres the car will cross bumpy B and minor roads far more happily than my MY00 Impreza Turbo (fitted with standard dampers and 50 section tyres). In such situations I would go so far as saying the Octy is more enjoyable than the Scoob.

I just hope the 105 PD fitted in my imminent Superb II will prove to be such a good performer. So far, I appear to be the only UK based member of Briskoda who has chosen a 105 PD Superb II.

Well chuffed with my 105pd too and as said does give great mpg in return always around the 55-60 mpg area all day long and gets exercised regularly:thumbup: so far on my private road i have had 120mph out of it for a short time just to see how far it goes.Must say its much better all round than my 100pd MK1 which always felt underpowered.

Once they're run-in, the PD105s are great. Not long after I got mine and it was still a little tight I had a PD140 as a courtesy car and I really regretted not paying the extra for one of those. I no longer feel like that. I love my PD105. Drive them right and they're plenty fast enough. I've had mine a little over 120 in Germany. :thumbup: