312mm brake conversion ?

Jimlad

Hello everyone, I'm new to the Briskoda Forum and from the previous postings I've been viewing, I know I'm asking a question thats been asked more than a few times before.

My Fabia vRS drives nicely but I'm not really happy with the brakes, they feel weak and need a lot of pressure at the pedal when driving 'enthusiastically'.

Is the conversion to 312mm Audi TT brake discs and calipers straight forward ?

How much can I expect to pay for the parts assuming I'll be doing the work myself ?

Can I improve the standard set-up by simply changing the pads ?

Anyone tried one of those 'tuning boxes' as sold on ebay ? Are they any good, or is a re-map a better route to go ?

I'm also considering the rear ARB from Jabba Sport, as there seems to be a lot of body roll when hustling through twisties... Any thoughts ??

Hope your replies will be helpfull, Jim.

There are lots of topics covering the questions above.

Use the "search" button to the top right.

I have 312's on mine, i bought my set up for £150, then bought other discs for £90.

Fitted them myself, not too hard a job.

Ive got a re-map on mine aswell, though a few folk run tuning boxes.

Brake---if you have a look in the technical section lummox who is a sponsor on here did a pictorial of the whole job, well worth having a look at.

rear ARB's are definately worth the money, i've got the whiteline one from awesome (look in the links section at the bottoms of the forum) it transformed the feel of the car from the b- roads in northumberland to the motorways.

hope that helps

chris

I have had all 3 things you are asking about done to my car so I may be able to help.

I also don't use the car on a track, just as a daily driver with the occasional B road sprint.

312mm brakes

You need new calipers AND caliper carriers from another VAG car, the most common are the Audi TT, Leon Cupra and Octavia VRS as people seem to upgrade these to 4-pots. I paid I think it was £140 for 2nd hand refurbed ones off ebay, and painted them myself with hammerite smooth green.

I got some brand new grooved discs off eBay and Mintex OE pads and had them fitted, it took about an hour for the mechanic to fit them. You can get new hoses if you like but you dont really need them.

The improvement in braking is well worth the money, and the pads seem to last a lot longer too.

Tuning Box

DONT TOUCH THE CHEAPY ONES ON EBAY! If you are going to get one go for a 2nd hand digital one, which plugs into the side of the engine and then hooks up to the battery. These usually have 7 settings which you can adjust for power or economy. I paid £150 2nd hand for mine and WOULD NOT pay anymore than this as then you are into remap territory.

It did what it said on the tin and I got more power however I found it it a little bit lumpy at times. However for the money its well worth it. I have now gone down the route of a proper remap which is a much better solution though.

Anti roll bar.

I have the whiteline as they were on offer from awesome gti for £110 all in. I fitted it myself and it took me about an hour and a half but I was fiddling about with the clamps for the rear bar for 1/2 an hour. It has transformed the car and made it much more stable, if a touch more stiff over uneven roads, but all in all its MY FAVOURITE MOD and in my view ESSENTIAL for the Fabia VRS

Thanks Joel for some useful information, I now know the calipers & carriers from the Leon Cupra and Octavia VRS fit too. I think I'll be looking at a remap rather than a tuning box and I'll have a trawl through the different suppliers of ARB's to find the best price too !

i think from memory there are only the two manufacturers of arb's. Jabbasport and whiteline (bought from awesome) and the differences are minimal. apart from the price!!

it has been discussed before-best use the search button, for some useful info!

chris

You need new calipers AND caliper carriers from another VAG car, the most common are the Audi TT, Leon Cupra and Octavia VRS as people seem to upgrade these to 4-pots. I paid I think it was £140 for 2nd hand refurbed ones off ebay, and painted them myself with hammerite smooth green.

Did you use the dark green, as they don't list a smooth normal green?

They only seem to list a normal green in hammered finish.