Protein Supplement Advice

cheezemonkhai

I find muscle and fitness a bit too hard core at times!....but whatever info you want just trawl around and youl soon find it:) mansize is good at times but the forum is often filled with utterly stupid gob****es!!! ....yep cottage cheese is good of an evening and dont forget your porridge,fruit and honey in the morn:)

K:)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Talking of food, son would have porridge most mornings also, and on the night before heavy training sessions or matches would make a point of having pasta. There's no protein in pasta of course, he ate it for the slow-release aspect of the carb energy.

Mo

Chipping in again. Tsk!

yep people forget about pasta as all they hear is all the bad stuff spouted by Atkins!! Carbs are very important for training as they give good energy supply.....where people go wrong is enjoying it too much and not using the stored energy for exercise! resulting in fat storage!!...I met an Italian cycling coach years ago who put it an easy way to understand.....Just look at older Italian people who dont train....they are big and lardy.....now look at an Italian who does train.....very slim,trim and lean!

k:)

smstext: I don't really know about these things but sounds to me like you'll be using the same muscles all the time whilst working and neglecting others and that's not desirable, i.e. some always stretched whilst counter muscles always contracted, so gotta do some sort of all round exercise as well to redress that balance anyway, whatever else you do re healthy eating etc. Stretching exercises are good re that. It shouldn't be difficult to judge how supple you are to test whether you think I might be talking sense or not. Just thinking it could be as important as weight v. muscle considerations.

Regards

Mo

regarding the above about gaining as much fat as you do muscle when you train!!.....poppycock!!....if that was the case id be at least 2 stone heavier than what i am now......you can gain muscle and loose fat with training!!

k:)

if you look closely... I did say proportionally... as in the majority will be muscle... and it depends on how long you want to wait to see gains, as i have always found the best gains (fastest) come when the body is provided with a nutrient and calorie rich diet...

I have been training a long time, and tried many diets, and tbh eating all clean foods is not the way to go, but we all have our own opionions and experience i suppose...

Only thing i can say is, i have been 16 stone @ 10% bodyfat and stand 5' 9" - maybe i know nothing about muscle gain then :rolleyes:

well yeh!!.....each to their own!!....if you want to be 16 stone and stand 5' 9" then off you go!! im not arguing with you!! Its not what i would recommend myself, telling somebody to put on as much fat as muscle! there are better ways of training and putting muscle on without gaining vast amounts of fat!!

TBH, I would go with Kit's advice, esp given his background;). It depends whether you want to get in shape just to be healthy or whether sports specific. Personally, I would want to put on muscle but retain good mobility for playing ball sports such as Touch Rugby. I don't want to be a real muscle mary who can't move very easily, especially when chasing an opponent down! I want to be Shane Williams, as he is a legend and whilst he is a similar height to me, is built like a brick outhouse compared to most of the public and can dance rings round almost anyone!

For reference, I'm 5ft 5 1/2" and 12st 7lbs (bodyfat, dunno!).

A good balanced workout regime and diet I feel is the best way to start out, at least to get your body used it, especially regarding your guts! Don't try to do too much at once or expect immediate results, and don't just work on your T-Shirt muscles! Then once you have a good muscular foundation, if you so desire, work on more isolation moves to target specific muscle groups.

Cheers buster:)

One good training type that is about at the mo is Military fitness training...it takes place mainly outdoors in parks and is and should be run by serving or ex soldiers, preferably ex PTI's. Its very good fun and is a good social scene:) if its anything like the one in my local park its full of cheeky ladies :)......Alwyas check the credentials of instructors closely and be aware of ones that say they are ex SAS!!.....yeh of course they are!!!

On another note there is a muscle bulding, protien rich, 4 week eating plan in mens fitness this month (april issue) to use in conjunction with a good balanced fitness programme:)

• 1 year later...

Well coming back to an old thread, I've been up the gym and while I'd been using promax and similar I got a couple of sachets of Cyclone to try.

Taste is odd, but I don't like chocolate drinks really, however OMFG does it give the worst gut ache I've ever had.

Glad I got given the sample now as I'd have wasted more if I'd tried it.

Staying on the plain protein shakes combined with a good diet and exercise + weights now.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Good sensible post by Paul above, but may seem a bit extreme depending upon your goals and your dedication. At the end of the day, get your diet sorted and then add supplements if they're are required afterwards - the majority of the time they're not needed, and your body just ends up getting rid of them without taking the goodness.

I've used myprotein.co.uk - The Leading Online Manufacturer & Supplier of Sports and Nutritional Supplements before, but haven't bothered with protein shakes for 4 ish years. The only 'supplement' I ever have now is isotonic drinks after a long session on the bike - difference goals nowadays.

I use My Protein True Whey - does the job, tastes nice, mixes ok and doesn't rip my insides to bits in the process!!

Kit, now I think my back could be up for some strengthening work, could you give us a good workout for the same goals I have previously wanted. If you're over this neck of the woods and want a gym session, the one I go to round the corner from me is fantastic (just shedloads weights stuff and a couple of bits of cardio stuff and no idiots!).

Well coming back to an old thread, I've been up the gym and while I'd been using promax and similar I got a couple of sachets of Cyclone to try.

Taste is odd, but I don't like chocolate drinks really, however OMFG does it give the worst gut ache I've ever had.

Glad I got given the sample now as I'd have wasted more if I'd tried it.

Staying on the plain protein shakes combined with a good diet and exercise + weights now.

If you read earlier in the thread - Take note that the body needs time to get used to the extra intake. I did try 'Pure Whey' but these often called '$hit shakes' really did have that effect on me.

I'm 6'6 and used to be stick thin. Trying to build up is hard but I'm getting there. I'm not a huge fan in $hit shakes and tend to only use them before/after a long work-out session.

I think I'm after a rowing machine next - If a member has one, please do contact me!

Edited by Robshaw

If you read earlier in the thread - Take note that the body needs time to get used to the extra intake. I did try 'Pure Whey' but these often called '$hit shakes' really did have that effect on me.

I'm 6'6 and used to be stick thin. Trying to build up is hard but I'm getting there. I'm not a huge fan in $hit shakes and tend to only use them before/after a long work-out session.

I think I'm after a rowing machine next - If a member has one, please do contact me!

I've been using protein shakes after exercise for a while, so changing from promax to cyclone should have upset me that much.

I'm talking almost unable to move it was that painful.

Out of interest how much weight do you use? i.e. unless you can press more than your body weight, squat and deadlift 150% of it, you're wasting your money on supplements they won't do anything for you that a multi vitamin pill, a pint of milk and a tuna butty won't.

Out of interest how much weight do you use? i.e. unless you can press more than your body weight, squat and deadlift 150% of it, you're wasting your money on supplements they won't do anything for you that a multi vitamin pill, a pint of milk and a tuna butty won't.

I currently weigh 80kg and am pressing 110+ with the legs and only about 50 with the arms.

So far the only ones I've used have been on an offer or a free sample.

Otherwise it would be eggs and milk, which I consume anyway :)

Protien shakes will benifit most people regardless of what they squat or bench :)...saying that you have to be pressing 150% of your weight to have any benifit from them is just noncence talk......just remember to take them straight after a workout :)

I currently weigh 80kg and am pressing 110+ with the legs and only about 50 with the arms.

So far the only ones I've used have been on an offer or a free sample.

Otherwise it would be eggs and milk, which I consume anyway emoticon-0100-smile.gif

Have you considered that you might be a ‘Hard Gainer’ and that your body type is predisposed to lean muscle rather than bulk? Brad Pitt is a hard gainer and when he buffed up for Thelma and Louise :) it was said he worked twice as hard as most men, but only got half the muscle mass. Instead he had that terrifically sinewy muscled look :) :) I think it was reckoned to do with the Endomrph/Ectomorph/Mesomorph thingy. Russell Crowe would never make a stringy athlete and Steve Cram would never be a pumped up body builder, they aren’t designed that way.

Don't take any at all....

They make your brain shrink, and your willy disappear.

Drink Guinness, eat bananas and masturbate twice a day ( changing hands halfway through )

Job done....emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Don't take any at all....

They make your brain shrink, and your willy disappear.

Drink Guinness, eat bananas and masturbate twice a day ( changing hands halfway through )

Job done....emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Welcome back. emoticon-0140-rofl.gif - We missed you.